Yet another Directive from the EUSSR? (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
:Eeek:Could any of our 'Trade' members (or anyone) confirm that a new Directive from our European Dictator (EU), which is suppose to come into force 2010, makes it mandatory that all repairs to a vehicle have to be carried-out at a main dealers ???

Roll on the Revolution!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont tell Geo :Eeek::ROFLMAO:

if that ever happens i'll eat me leg with the boot still on.:winky:

they'll be telling us next only a surgeon can remove a kidney:Doh:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
:Eeek:Could any of our 'Trade' members (or anyone) confirm that a new Directive from our European Dictator (EU), which is suppose to come into force 2010, makes it mandatory that all repairs to a vehicle have to be carried-out at a main dealers ???

I too have heard something similar - as I understand it the Motor Manufacturers agreed voluntarily to allow any qualified garage / mechanic to service a vehicle provide that original manufacturers parts were use and the service was completed to the manufacturers service schedule - however all warranty work had to go back to a main dealer - it would appear now that from 2010 this agreement will cease and if you have a new vehicle it will have to go back to dealer to comply with warranty otherwise you will lose out on a warranty claim - after warranty period it is up to you but with warranties on some going out to 5 years in some cases that can be most of the vehicle life if the EU 's plan to have a vehicle life pegged at 10 years takes place - I believe this is still being discussed but general consensus is that the agreement will be withdrawn.

OP
OP
SIFTA SAM
Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Can I not do it myself?
Where did that info come from?
Do you have a link?
Sorry, only learned about it today by word of mouth (another M/Hmer)
I intend to chase-up my source, and will keep you informed, but hope one of our members could confirm or 'shoot it down'

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
If it's true I lay any odds that the first country to introduce, enforce and over complicate it will be .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
UK

Why, oh why
because 'they' don't want UK to be in Europe - so make sure that anything that comes out of Brussels / Strasbourg is ramped up to the nth degree, UK already been told off for over-zealous application of the rules and nit-picking approach :Eeek:

Just cos I'm paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not out to get me

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
This was taken from the following link - sorry if it boring

New Legal Framework Proposed For Motor Vehicle Distribution And Servicing Agreements. - Free Online Library

The European Commission ("Commission") has set out its proposals for a new legal framework in relation to motor vehicle distribution agreements and repair and maintenance agreements. The current Block Exemption Regulation expires on 31 May 2010 and the Commission has been assessing how this has performed and whether there is a need for reform.

Block exemptions create safe harbours for categories of agreements, relieving companies from the need to individually analyse whether agreements comply with Article 81 EC. The motor vehicle sector, which includes passenger cars and commercial vehicles, has been the subject of specific block exemptions since the mid 1980s.

Overall, the Commission considers that the objectives underlying the current block exemption remain valid however a distinction should be drawn between the markets for (i) the sale of new vehicles and (ii) repair and maintenance and spare parts.

No significant competition shortcomings have been found in the market for the sale of new vehicles. To the contrary, this market is identified by structural overcapacity and falling prices. The Commission is therefore keen not to impose disproportionate regulatory constraints. In light of this, and to align its approach, the Commission proposes that motor vehicle distribution agreements should be covered by the general block exemption for vertical agreements (which is also currently under review).

The specific motor vehicle block exemption would therefore be phased out; however, in order for a smooth transition, it is proposed that the current block exemption would be extended to 31 May 2013 as regards new vehicles. Specific sectoral guidance would also be provided.

I only know about it because I have friends in the trade who have been worried about the implications on their trade

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008

Roll on the Revolution!

Oh blimey, that has to be wrong! :Eeek:

falcon

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If it's true I lay any odds that the first country to introduce, enforce and over complicate it will be .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

UK

Why, oh why
because 'they' don't want UK to be in Europe - so make sure that anything that comes out of Brussels / Strasbourg is ramped up to the nth degree, UK already been told off for over-zealous application of the rules and nit-picking approach :Eeek:

Just cos I'm paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not out to get me

Guys, a lot of people think that such directives originate in some big office in the Brussells. I can only speak from experience and I can tell you that most of the H&S legislation and the ancillary bits around it were in fact largely formulated in the UK and pushed into Europe to be firmed up as EU directives over the years. Of course it is true that we tend to implement them to the letter as grey is not a colour that is recognised here in the UK.

So I would not be surprised if this is another one of those whether it comes from Whitehall or the Elysee. The EU usually make directives on what Govts. propose and agree to implement. -

Francis
One solitary EUphile

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the way i read this is if you want genuine parts fitted then a main dealer is your only option.

if you aint bothered if they fit pattern parts then use a 'private' garage.

read section 2.3 at the bottom of the page.

specificly the bottom 3 llines.

Link Removed

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
the way i read this is if you want genuine parts fitted then a main dealer is your only option.

if you aint bothered if they fit pattern parts then use a 'private' garage.

read section 2.3 at the bottom of the page.

specificly the bottom 3 llines.

I would agree with that in principle Pappajohn but knowing how deviously warranties are written I bet if you have something done by an independent garage - say to your engine - and it is obvious - then if there is a problem say with your back axle then they will wriggle out of it one way or another.

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
"The after sales market, which accounts for some 40% of consumer expenditure on cars, was found to be less competitive largely due to its brand-specific nature. Again the Commission intends to apply the new general vertical competition rules to such agreements; however this will be in conjunction with sector specific guidelines and/or an additional more focused sectoral block exemption. Such specific provisions are considered necessary in order to address a number of problematic areas in the sector; such as ensuring that independent repairers have access to technical information and spare parts (in order to ensure that they can compete with the authorised networks). It would also tackle the misuse of warranties aimed at excluding independent repairers. This part of the new regime is proposed to apply from 31 May 2010. "

The extract above reads to me that the repair of motors will be opened up to independents, who will have access to manufacturers parts.
Or am I misreading this?

Sandy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would agree with that in principle Pappajohn but knowing how deviously warranties are written I bet if you have something done by an independent garage - say to your engine - and it is obvious - then if there is a problem say with your back axle then they will wriggle out of it one way or another.

true but what i think they are doing is forcing us to have work done by the supplying main dealer while still under warrenty.

this could be a problem for motorhomes.....who is the supplying dealer?
certainly not the M/H converter.

after the warrenty period is up then they aint interested who does the work but getting genuine parts will be difficult to say the least.

more power to the, usually cheaper, pattern parts manufacturers and they still have to meet the same minimum criteria as genuine parts.

if its under warrenty your stuffed:Sad:, if it aint then stuff them.:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Think you are looking at what they are trying to propose by law - there is a voluntary agreement in place at the moment with the motor manufacturers which ends in 2010 which currently allows open trade - EU are trying to retain it but the manufacturers are trying to finish it.

OP
OP
SIFTA SAM
Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Can I not do it myself?
Where did that info come from?
Do you have a link?
The website with some of the info:- Link Removed
My take on it, is that at present there is in force a Motor Vehicle Block Exemption Regulation (EU)
Part of the Exemption is a Commission Regulation (CE) 1400/2002 that stipulates
the manufacturers of vehicles have to provide independent repairers with the necessary technical information to carry-out any repair on any vehicle.
The Block Exemption expires in 2010, and the independent repairers want it either to be continued/improved, without which they feel they would be vunerable to a manufacturers monopoly on all repairs.
I'm not sure what the latest 'state of play' is.

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
I'm not sure what the latest 'state of play' is.

According to the latest info quote Interested parties have until 25 September 2009 to submit observations

so at the speed they work no one will have a clue until at least Feb 2010

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It's much worse than you think . .. .

This is actually German in origin; they want all of the EU to work to the system that they have and they've been pushing hard for it for a long time. There are no "pattern" parts in Germany; you can only fit original equipment. Any add-ons or extra's that you might want to fit to your vehicle have to be TÜV (equivalent of MOT, but wider reaching) approved and come with a certificate to prove it. When you submit your vehicle for it's TÜV examination you have to submit all of these certificates at the same time. They will also check that you have the manufacturer's recommended tyres and fail you if you don't. This applies universally - it's not just related to warranty work.
This system supports the German manufacturing-based economy very well, and they should be applauded for thas, but we, of course, don't have a manufacturing-based economy anymore, so a system like this would cost us dearly.
Plus, as others have pointed out, the UK government would either spice it up a bit to make it more interesting (like the Human Rights Act) or they would not bother reading the details and pass it into law without spotting the parts that make it unworkable in The UK (like the new motorbike test).
The problem with these EU exemptions, and their timetables in general, is that there are no warnings or countdowns; the legislation just cuts in on the EU committee appointed date. Up to now, all moves towards this system have been resisted by the UK government, but they could stop resisting very easily (and quietly) and the exemption would simply end without fanfare.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back