Yes!!! Yes!!!! Yes!!!!! (That's a weight off my shoulders.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by emmitdb, Jan 15, 2015.

1. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Hi all,

The last time we went on the Continent I had the 'van, (Hobby 650) weighed and shame of shames we were 40kgs over with only a sniff of diesel in the tank.

Just got off the phone to SVTech who were able to advise me that the van can be uprated by 200kgs, taking it to 3700kgs.

That's damn close to the max axle weights of 3750 but as we were well under on both axles last time, at least I'll be able to drive past a weigh check without crossing my fingers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

We got our mh up-plated, so now we can carry even more unnecessary junk

• Like Like x 4
  3. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

how could you be overweight but not close to the axle weights?are you adding the two axle weights together to get your gross?

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Your licences OK ?

5. chaser

chaser Funster

Confused me as well, you will get cheaper road tax though if your licence is ok.

6. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Hi again,
    Mitzimad, this is how it was,
    Front Axle, Max 1750kgs, Actual weight 1660kg
    Rear Axle, Max 2000kgs Actual weight 1940kgs
    Total Max weight allowed 3500kgs Actual weight 3540kgs.

Usually people are over on one, (or both:eek::eek::eek:)their axles.
    but in this case I was over on neither BUT, (big but) I was over on the total.
    On a two axle van you could commit any one or more of three offences (assuming no trailer), Over on front axle, over on rear axle or over on both and the MTPLM or Max weight. Oh! yes, you could be over on either the axles and the Max.
    In my case I was only:whistle: over on the Max.

Hilldweller, thanks for asking. I'm still a Spring Chicken and still have 4+years before I prostrate!!! myself in front of the Doc. She's already examined my prostate but thats another story!!!

As for the revised weights, I cannot alter the max weights on either axle but SVTech advise me that I can have the MTPLM increased to 3700kgs.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

Ref: Licence most people think they have "Grandads rights"but be aware if you have had to surrender your licence for any reason, when you get it back you probably wont have the same entitlements as before and you may have to contact DVLA to rectify this. .....Martin

• Like Like x 1
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Somebody cant count..
    1660 + 1940 = 3600... Not 3540kg

If correctly weighed both actual axle weights can only equal the actual total weight.

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

the van had obviously been down rated to 3500 when in fact the design weight was higher
    so talking about being over the 3500 on the log book.

10. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Pappajohn,

Sorry to disagree with such an esteemed member of this forum but your comment is incorrect.

When the imposition of weight on either axle occurs, some of that weight is superimposed on 'the other' axle.
    In the case of our van, whilst there is an accumulated weight limit of 3750kgs, (both max axles added together) there is a limit of 3500kgs on the whole vehicle.

11. pappajohn

Dont know who your post was aimed at Roger....but I quoted actual weighbridge weights, not design weights.

12. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

My Licence is that old, it's written in Latin.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I was just explaining why it was not over the indevidual axle weights, not aimed at anyone in particular.
    Ok to answer your post when an indevidual axle is weighed it natuarally is affected by some of the other weight as well hence the total would appear to be generally more than the actual.
    the 3500 is what the v5 states I guess rather than what is on the original vin plate.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pappajohn

So what you are saying is, apart from ascertaining you are not exceeding the individual axle weights there is no point weighing each axle.

I disagree.

If an axle is at its limit the other axle must be unloaded to reach the gross weight.
    If you cannot determine a true axle weight you cannot determine a weight for the other axle.
    Deducting the shown weight of one axle from the gross weight will show an incorrect weight for axle two.

15. pappajohn

I just spotted a flaw in your argument.

You say some weight from the weighed axle will be imposed on the unweighted axle......so reducing the true axle weight.
    That indicates the axle weight is actually higher than that shown on the scales.
    The unweighted axle should be as close as possible to the bridge plate to minimise this effect and impose the highest possible weight on the weighed axle.
    If the axle being weighed is just on the plate then the majority of weight will be on the unweighed axle thus showing a very much lighter weight on the weighed axle

• Like Like x 1
  16. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

How do you go about raising the plated weight then, my Autocruise is plated at 3500 but the handbook for the van is giving a maximum technically permissible laden mass 4150kg which would allow me 995kg payload.
    Robert
    Having just checked on the sv site I think it would be better to weed out the unwanted before up rating. Although I hold an HGV1 licence, the problems of mot, insurance, taxation etc would negate the increase in payload.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  17. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

It's not my argument. It's what happens.
    I take the van and have the thing weighed. I get a certifiacte and as far as I'm concerned, what it says is what it is.
    It doesn't matter where the van is in relation to the plate, whether its on by a foot metre or whatever. That weight is imposed on the weighbridge and it gives a readout.
    If I backed onto the bridge further it wouldn't change the readings because there are only two points of reference. The front axle and the back axle.
    I'm not a betting man but I doubt anybody could take their vans to a weighbridge and get the two axle weights to correspond with the overall weight. Thats why there is a disparity between the permitted axle loads and the GVW.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

All this axle stuff is like trying to explain the off side rule to a woman after a session down the pub.

• Like Like x 8
  19. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Bertie,
    I'll tell you what I did. I went onto the SVTech website (www.svtech.co.uk) and downloaded a copy of their form that you can fill in and send off to them. I sent them the weighbridge Cert as outlined above and asked them, would be possible to increase the GVW. I knew they couldn't do much for me to increase the axle weights, but, because I knew I had spare capacity on both of them, I wasn't worried about that. I was highly delighted to discover the 'van could be increased to 3700kgs.

When I send them the money, they will send a new plate to affix over the old one and give me instructions on what Form (V5) to send to Swansea.
    For my next long trip I'll arrived at the weighbridge with half a tank of fuel and clean water and see what it says. If I'm over and if so, it won't be by much, I'll get rid of some water and get the cert. I'll then know where I stand
    In your circs you have loads of spare capacity going up to 4150kgs whereas, because of add ons to our 'van, (think Bike rack, awning, solar extra battery, microwave) we didn't have a lot in the first place.

Forgot to add, some might not consider the uprate as cheap, via SVRTech it's £260 plus VAT but to stave off the cold sweats as you go near a VOSA weighcheck, as the advert says. Priceless

• Like Like x 1
  20. pappajohn

No problem with any of the above....

MOT is the same regardless of weight.... Class IV, same as a car.

Insurance... Could be a Small increase but I doubt it.

Road tax..all the same at £165 per year regardless of size or weight.