Yes!!! Its going to happen (probably) (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Mrs D and I had a big meeting today regarding full timing. Most of you who know me will know I have been banging on about it for ages but Mrs D has been reluctant to commit. Well I have either worn her down or she has come around to really wanting to do it. Her main gripe has been renting her house out. We cant afford to do it any other way and selling just seems a big risk.

Anyway we have set a provisional date of the 19th April 2011 for a 2-5 year departure. (all this could change and it could of course fall through for many reasons but if you dont have a date you dont have an event!)

Im going to be trawling the full timing posts and will have loads of questions.

First one is Old Kontiki or New (er) Kontiki. Ours is 14 years old 50K on the clock, recently spent £2600 on a new rear axle so it owes me. Do I hammer it around europe for a year or 3 or trade it in for a 2-3 year old vehicle assuming I will get around £15K on a £35K van?

Cheers
BD

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Very wise holding onto the house.

If the old is known stick to it as newer one might have issues?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I say stick with the old one, you know it and trust it.
The 20K difference will buy a lora lora fuel.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
IMVHO it would be better to use the old van (really "serviced up") for the 2-5 year "trial" given that the £15-20 grand you would be saving might be very useful in many possible situations.

This however fails to take in consideration the happiness your good lady wife might feel with a newer, smarter van...

Just make sure either can get onto Quinta Majay (through the trees...) so you can visit if you get down that way...

Happy planning...

JJ :thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I guess the main question is whether there is money in the pot for a newer van. If not, then don't go down that route unless you have serious doubts about your current van lasting the distance.

Exciting times ahead :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Well yes, have to admitt your posts are ones that have had me wondering will they or won't they as you have so definately wanted to do it while your good lady not been to sure, I see you have had some reply's off the guys with the RV's and experience they know what they are talking about so good advice. Good Luck with it and do keep us updated.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Barry, glad you guys are giving it a go, you know if you had not, you'd of always wondered "what if". Enjoy this new chapter in your life. Best wishes:thumb:

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
Mrs D and I had a big meeting today regarding full timing. Most of you who know me will know I have been banging on about it for ages but Mrs D has been reluctant to commit. Well I have either worn her down or she has come around to really wanting to do it. Her main gripe has been renting her house out. We cant afford to do it any other way and selling just seems a big risk.

Anyway we have set a provisional date of the 19th April 2011 for a 2-5 BD

KEEP THE MRS HAPPY & OCCUPIED MAKEING PEGS & MOPHEADS?.
VERY GOOD LUCK.
MR BEAN:winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
First one is Old Kontiki or New (er) Kontiki. Ours is 14 years old 50K on the clock, recently spent £2600 on a new rear axle so it owes me. Do I hammer it around europe for a year or 3 or trade it in for a 2-3 year old vehicle assuming I will get around £15K on a £35K van?
Cheers
BD

50K sounds nothing. If you are fulltiming you'll be doing quite low mileages, won't you ? No point in giving the arabs all your money when you have all the time in the world.

But only you know the general condition. It will keep 'er indoors a bit happier if you don't splash out loads of cash immediately. When you are really enjoying your new freedom then think again.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks for the great and positive replies. Yes there is money in the pot for a new(er) van but its just one consideration of many. Im not fussed if its shiiney and looks great. I just want it to work. Our van is lovely inside, has no leaks etc but shows its age a little outside. The layout for us is tried and tested and I wouldnt want it any different and it takes our scooter within its payload. My worry is Im not mechanically minded at all and if things go wrong Im usually at the mercy of a garage. Not sure if a 3 or 4 year old van will be any more reliable though. I reckon Hank the Tank has a few years left in him and it would be cool to do at least the early years in him.

I know from our longer trips that there is always something that will go wrong and I guess these are hurdles that you just have to overcome. Im hoping that we will have enough income from rent and investements to cover the monthly costs but intend to put asside a budget over and above that for repairs or emergencies of perhaps £2K per year.

All things to think about.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
It is possible that it would be easier to get a older van repaired abroad than a newer one as the smaller garages maybe able to deal with a van without all computer systems on it. I remember when we went to Morocco we were told it would be a lot easier to get a older van reapaired than a new one. Sounds as if you are really happy with the van you already have so why change it.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks again, good point about the old van repairs. Peugeot Boxer, 2.5 TD lump so should be pretty uncomplicated.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We met an English couple, must be in their 70's, in Fairbanks, Alaska, who are travelling in an old 'M' reg. and that is the old 'M', they have done Africa, Russia and are now doing a round the World trip - it is a Mercedes, same sort of size as a VW Combi, nothing flash, if you want to have a look at their website it is www.ageingoverlanders.co.uk - haven't looked at it ourselves yet.

Stick with the old and enjoy every minute of it - if it lets you down too much and is spoiling your travelling then you know it is time for a change, you'' know if and when it is time for a change.

Glad you have both decided to fulltime. If you think we can help with anything we will be more than happy to advise, on our own experience of course.

Bye for now - just left Alaska and now into Yukon Territoty, Canada - heading south.

Nigel and Pamala

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I would stick with the old too, less conspiciuos ( i can never find the spelling button)

If all goes wrong you will have the money to either sort it out or buy a newer one then.

Only question is how winterised is it, and will you be travelling in colder climes.

Good Luck to you both.

Pat

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
...Our van is lovely inside, has no leaks etc but shows its age a little outside. The layout for us is tried and tested and I wouldnt want it any different and it takes our scooter within its payload. My worry is Im not mechanically minded at all and if things go wrong Im usually at the mercy of a garage. Not sure if a 3 or 4 year old van will be any more reliable though. I reckon Hank the Tank has a few years left in him and it would be cool to do at least the early years in him.

With this additional info I would definitely, definitely stay with your current Hank the Tank. Why not use a fraction of the money it would cost for a new van on what I am doing now (on my 1996 Iveco Daily, 260,000 kms)... preventive maintenance... ie. replacing the clutch, water pump, cambelt etc. etc. before they start giving trouble...?

JJ :thumb:

Steven Fawcett

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
manchester
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years

Anyway we have set a provisional date of the 19th April 2011 for a 2-5 year departure. (all this could change and it could of course fall through for many reasons but if you dont have a date you dont have an event!)

Cheers
BD

hi barry we are in the same boat we are we not know set our date for the end of august.
you have to set a date and hopefully stick to it my wife we are also renting our house out 2/3 years.hope you enjoy may bump into you some were in europe good luck.

Steven Fawcett

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
manchester
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Full Timing.

hi barry
we are in the same boat we are going were not we have know set a date for end of august 2011 and we are sticking to it same as you renting house of 2/3 years good luck.
my van is also 14years old be well serviced better the devil you know.
may see you in europe.
regards steve.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks very much for all the replies. Some great advice. I think I will just make sure the current van is in tip top condition before we go.

Its winterised apart from one waste pipe from the sink which goes outside for a short section. We survived -12 last winter in the UK no problem, sat around in tshirts. However if we full time I hope to be somewhere warmer than here in the winter!!

Cheers
BD

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Cheers
BD

Hi Barry

Joan and myself hit the road full time at the beginning of March this year in our Hymer S700 Mercedes 410D (Transporter not Sprinter) J reg (1992)

She has 187,000K on the clock and still uses no oil between services.

We spent money on making her comfortable and repairs before we set off.

See our blog in here

We have been house sitting for family members for the last 5 weeks and can't wait to get back on the road on Saturday.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks for that. You know the more I think about it the less full timers I have met in spanky new shiny vans. After the day I have had today and tomorrow (I know what it will be like!) it cant come soon enough!

cheers
BD

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi Barry

We planned for year & have been full time since Mar. Its hard work but worth it.

It may be useful to read the early instalments of our blog. A lot of thought processes.

Good luck

Bill & Carole::bigsmile:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks

I will read the blog definately. I have read quite a few already and have become of a bit of a full timing bore really. Using the forums and blogs like yours we are going to complile a list of everything that needs to be done and any questions to ask and consider. I just want to bundle stuff in the van and set off right now. April seems so far off and a lot can happen between now and then!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back