Yellow engine light staying lit.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Neckender, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Neckender

Neckender Funster

When i started our 2008 120 tribute 2.3 this morning the yellow engine light stayed lit, it was ok when we last used it 3 weeks ago, any one else had this problem, our tribute as only done 6300 miles. The hand book says ignition and injector fault, but it drives ok.

Thanks,
    John.

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

There are better mechanics than me on the forum but if the engine diagnostics is saying you have a fault on the ignition and injector system I would be calling the dealer or my garage.

Jim
    :Smile:

3. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

It will drive at a reduced state I believe, it should tell you in the handbook to contact a dealer.

Have you tried starting it again and see if it is still on?

Geo is on his way to a meet or he could clarify this, if you are unsure call your local dealer for advice, is it not still under guarantee?

4. Molls-Phot

Molls-Phot Funster

We had this on our 2009 Tribute. Reason was an outstanding recall. As others have said, it will turn down the engine power so best to get it fixed asap.

5. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Thanks folks, It's now sorted, what i didn't say in my first post was that I was taking our Tribute for it's second service, any way Platts garage found the fault it was a broken wire to the radiator fan, they have charged £36 on top of the service price to fix.

Hope this helps some one else with a similar problem.

John.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The hand book says ignition and injector fault,

nowt to do with the injection or ignition then.

just shows the handbooks are crap.

7. wanttobeaway

wanttobeaway Read Only Funster

This is a fault on the fiat it has happend to us and a lot of others we just took it in and they sorted it under warranty you should not have had to pay

It was also mentioned in MMM when the new model came out

8. Goose

Goose Read Only Funster

I think everyone should have one of these OBD Readers nowadays:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAN-Bus-Trouble-Diagnose-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B001CBBY7O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=officeproduct&qid=1265997621&sr=8-4"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAN-Bus-Trouble-Diagnose-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B001CBBY7O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=officeproduct&qid=1265997621&sr=8-4[/ame]

Not necessarily the one above (I just nicked the details off amazon in a hurry)

When your engine light comes on it's natural to become really anxious. It could be a problem that needs to be sorted out without delay. But on the other hand it could be something utterly inconsequential.

With one of these you can diagnose the problem youself by simply plugging it onto your car's computer diagnostic sock (usually located in one of the front footwells of your car). All vehicles manufactured after 1996 have the facility to plug in this tool.

The reader then spits out an error code which you can investigate (either online or by reference to a manual).

A friend of mine saved the $90 a mechanic would have charged to do the same thing. We applied the reader and got an error code. Then we erased the code and the engine light is no longer on. (The code was for an inconsequential emissions purge flow fault that could have something to do with a loose-fitting fuel-tank cap or a couple of other minor problems...none of which affect the driveability of the vehicle or the ability of the vehicle to pass an emissions test).

9. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

10. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We carry out code reading for customers and charge £15 - not bad I think when our gear costs £2500+ £800 per year for updates!!!
    The light comes on to record any engine/sensor faults - this can be caused by a minor blip and may not be serious. We code read the system, record any codes stored (codes can be stored in the system for years without bringing on any lights) road test it and if the light comes back on again re-read it and hopefully a previous code will have been stored and this can help diagnose the fault. if the light does not come on again and the vehicle is running fine then the customer will take the vehicle away, if it returns then we re-read it FOC and go from there. I should say we are not a main dealer who will charge a lot more for this!

11. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Can't help at all, sorry:Sad: but just had to say I love the trike. Envious. :Smile: