Yellow bulbs (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi, Jim if you look at the wires where the bulb holder is you will see one (usually the black one ) is connected to the "outer" edge of the holder- this wil be the earth, the other (brown) wire will go to the centre pin which should be insulated from the other-this is the live feed. Hope this helps
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Err, sorry, not strictly true?

The marker lamps on Winne, forget the make, are reversed if you will, ie, the pin has a direct connection to one of the screw holes whereas the outer is isolated, a reverse to the norm. We lost all the lights and it turned out some (proffesional) numpty had fitted based on the norm without bothering to look at what they were doing. In essence being the yank screws were the painted ones 'he' got away with is for some time until vibration and corrosion did there job and hey presto no lights.
Took a bit of finding that, 16 fittings to check, though fortunatly that was number 7ish:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Great post
3 sets of regs all mixed up in one:ROFLMAO:
ce marks and type approval--------- Construction and use
Fog lights and when to use em -------- Highway code
Last but not least little yellow bulbs:ROFLMAO: -------- Mot regs
As an Authorised Examiner and MoT tester I can without fear of contradiction make a call on this one Must get my Vosa avitar back:cry:
1. The mot Tester was correct in his assessment of the original bulbs if a colour other than orange was being shown, 1 fail and 1 advise indicates the vehicle owner was given the benefit of any doubt
2. the Mot tester was also correct in passing the said bulbs once a repair had been carried out, each and every repair, or bodge if you prefer:whatthe: is judged on its own merits
And finally if you believe the Mot test pass certificate is an indication of a vehicles safety
You couldn't be further from the truth if you tried:Doh:
It is no more than a snapshot of the vehicles condition on the day and time presented, and any repairs carried out only have to be to the minimum standard required
The Mot test is to make sure at least once a year the vehicle does meet the very low standard set by the Dept for Transport and enforced by Vosa
Vosa will be the first to say vast improvement could be made in many areas but are restricted in what they can and cannot implement by legislation
Geo

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Geo

Cant argue with that very succinct explanation, can we all leave it at that now please :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
how do these examiners test how orange it is do they use a calorimeter::bigsmile:

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Err, sorry, not strictly true?

The marker lamps on Winne, forget the make, are reversed if you will, ie, the pin has a direct connection to one of the screw holes whereas the outer is isolated, a reverse to the norm. We lost all the lights and it turned out some (proffesional) numpty had fitted based on the norm without bothering to look at what they were doing. In essence being the yank screws were the painted ones 'he' got away with is for some time until vibration and corrosion did there job and hey presto no lights.
Took a bit of finding that, 16 fittings to check, though fortunatly that was number 7ish:Eeek:

Hi, Dodgy, sorry, you are correct I hadn't realised it was a yank, but I wasreferring to the contacts on the light- and I did say "usually" , so I guess we're both correct.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
davejen, usually a given and yes(both right just depends which side of 'the pond'(manufacturer)), just trying to help:thumb:

This is were the old multi meter comes in, both for polarity checking and continuity.

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
So you put youself and other roadusers at risk for £2.25 thats not and I quote a tightarse!.
its a pity you can't be reported for it or can I will check the DVLA website using a product not fit for use. Alf

Get real - get worked up over the 40% foriegn lorries on the UK roads which are mechanically dangerous not over a 'coloured' light bulb :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You were asked to do a particular job you did by an unauthorised method you did not comply with the request to fit 2 new bulbs with CE mark
your MOT and Insurance are technically void for £ 2.25

Alf

there is no legal requirement to replace a damaged/blown bulb, or any other part, with a NEW bulb, only to replace it so the lamp functions correctly.

the CE mark is NOT on the glass....its on the metal base so it is still CE marked.

automotive bulbs have NO MARKINGS ON THE GLASS.

as for the comment about my disco MOT.....the tester was aware of the repair as i used his superglue and as the whole of the lens was covered and no white light was visible at the front he was quite happy with the repair.

for 3 consecutive years .

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
No I think it's a colourimeter.
John.

think we are both wrong ::bigsmile: colorimeter

msut laern to use teh spell chekcer:Doh:

Wonder if these MOT testers have to have a colour test before they can officially do them:roflmto::roflmto:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
think we are both wrong ::bigsmile: colorimeter

msut laern to use teh spell chekcer:Doh:

Wonder if these MOT testers have to have a colour test before they can officially do them:roflmto::roflmto:[/Q

What if thet're colour-blind?
Cheers, TTT:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back