Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Anyone out there used Windows 7 beta as a trial ? My Vista operating system is rubbish and would like some opinions whether to bite the bullet for a downgrade to XP or wait til October and upgrade . My o/s is Vista home and Acer do offer downgrades (at cost for home premium) would i be better advised to wait a while? System just freezes on a regular basis and intermittently wont successfully shut down -its as if its "whirring" away in its own little world (laptop not wife) help Alan:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Anyone out there used Windows 7 beta as a trial ? My Vista operating system is rubbish and would like some opinions whether to bite the bullet for a downgrade to XP or wait til October and upgrade . My o/s is Vista home and Acer do offer downgrades (at cost for home premium) would i be better advised to wait a while? System just freezes on a regular basis and intermittently wont successfully shut down -its as if its "whirring" away in its own little world (laptop not wife) help Alan:Doh::Doh::Doh:
Sorry-should be in Computing and having found a similar thread in there an even bigger sorry:Blush::Blush::Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I've got two laptops on Vista. The most used is running heavyweight compilers for industrial computers, it works.

I do stick to XP Pro for my office system.

I suggest that either your laptop is faulty, you have some disc corruption ( which you will cure by installing XP then declare Vista was obviously the cause ) or you have some flaky software running.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
Alan,

You seem to have number of issues. It sounds as if your laptop is overloaded and whilst changing the O/S might help you should have a good clean out first before such a drastic step. Clear the HD as much as possible and defrag it. Get rid of unused software and keep unused data, photos etc etc on a separate backup hard drive. Have as few options as possible showing on the desktop. Can you increase your memory? This gives the best bang per buck of anything. The HD should be less than one third full. Changing the O/S is unlikely to speed things up; Windows 7 has had rave reviews but is itself, like Vista, very large in it's processing needs. XP is smaller and still a good bet but will not be supported by Microsoft for long. If your machine meets the processor and hard drive recommendations for Windows 7, I would go for that when it is released comercially in the next few months. Get a power user friend to help and have everthing backed up. It can be a long painful business!!! Try a heavy house clean first though.

Good luck, ACDCDAVE

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
have everthing backed up. It can be a long painful business!!! Try a heavy house clean first though.

Good luck, ACDCDAVE

I'd go further, re-format the HD, then install new -- provided you can do this and are not blocked because an upgrade requires the previous OS.

A_Good_Plan I sometimes use, buy a new HD, fit this and keep the old one in a USB case to act ask backup and to revover data you need to the new HD.

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Thanks again ACDCDave and Hilldweller started removing progs. ---have been trying to remove i-player now for 30 mins --zilch its stuck busy doing nothing ! aaaaaaaaah Alan

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I go with Brian, if you regular surf the web you will collect all kinds of rubbish, the only way to get rid of it and return you computer to its original speed is to reformat.

Make a directory of all you wish to keep, don't rush it, there is always something that you will forget.

Back it up, if you don't have the capacity to back it up go and buy an external HD then re-install your data after reformat.

It sounds simple when you say it quick and when you get used to it, it is but the first time it will probably take 2 days to get every thing back together again.

The reward is a near virgin computer with all its original speed, I do this at least 2 and somtimes 3 times a year.

Doug...

Good luck..

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

Hi.

Been using windows 7 RC for a couple of weeks now after buying the new laptop to run it on and it's solid.

Much better than vista (IMHO)

USING IT AS I FEEL IT'S THE O/S THAT MANY COMPANIES OUT THERE ARE WAITING FOR AS AN UPGRADE TO XP.(And I need to support them when they do):Doh:

Just been told our company is ready to roll it out trialling it with our dept first.

Just make sure your hardware is current and supported by the drivers.

Steve.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I use vista no problems, vista does need a fair bit of memory, at least 2gig if you only have 1gig then this could be the reason your pc is slow.

turning off disk defrag will stop background harddrive activity,i use a third party one.Turn off UAC if you haven't allready and general housekeeping should keep it sweet.

To shut down vista quicker,

Do this:

1. Start Regedit.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management

Is the "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" set to "1" ? If so do this:

3. Select ClearPageFileAtShutdown from the list on the right.
4. Right click on it and select Modify.
5. Change the value to 0 to disable.
6. close regedit
7. Reboot your computer.

Personally i would keep your vista try and solve your issues and wait for the windows 7 release.

Whilst XP is a good OS and a lot sware by it , like others it will become outdated.Going back to xp IMO would be a backward step.

Regards

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
how much RAM do you have you need 2g of RAM for vista to run fast. If you have the RAM and you keep the computer regulary defragged and clear of clutterthat builds up it should run faster than xp. [except if running games]

use Download MyDefrag 4.1.2 - FileHippo.com to defrag and optimise the hard drive, first run slow optimise then once a week run fast optimise.

to clear clutter run
Download CCleaner 2.22.968 - FileHippo.com on a daily or regular basis.

to clear any spyware slowing you down run
Download SuperAntiSpyware 4.27.1000 - FileHippo.com

and or [but not at same time]
|MG| Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.40 Download

also run chkdsk for bad sectors oh the hdd
goto my computer - right click c drive - properties - tools - error checking - clik check now - tick both boxes & start now it will as to schecdule scan at next restart click yes.
scan will run when computer next restarts [will take about 15-20mins]

for results goto - admin tools - event viewer - application - scroll down list and click on winlog on for results .

all the above will help speed things up.

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Just a final note/update i tried all of the advice ie good housekeeping with defrags.,anti-spyware etc. then bit the bullet and pressed the magic keys Alt F10 and waited with trepidation . It worked hey presto but upon reinstalling some of the programmes like Skype the lappy was becoming unstable again So another factory restore and 12 hours later here i am with a "steady" o/s that will quickly shut down and not freeze (famous last words) = result SO ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS FOR THE ADVICE I WOULD NOT HAVE ATTEMPTED IT WITHOUT :Smile: ALAN

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Just a final note/update i tried all of the advice ie good housekeeping with defrags.,anti-spyware etc. then bit the bullet and pressed the magic keys Alt F10 and waited with trepidation . It worked hey presto but upon reinstalling some of the programmes like Skype the lappy was becoming unstable again So another factory restore and 12 hours later here i am with a "steady" o/s that will quickly shut down and not freeze (famous last words) = result SO ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS FOR THE ADVICE I WOULD NOT HAVE ATTEMPTED IT WITHOUT :Smile: ALAN
Glad your sorted

Now that you have it running sweet, I would suggest you purchase the ultimate restore

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acronis-True-Image-Home-2009/dp/B001GCTRBE"]Acronis true image[/ame]

The best protection and restore for £24 its a must

Regards

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
I wouldn't touch Vista with a bargepole and know of no business running it, stick to XP, 7 is getting there and will be better than XP but not for a year at least

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Re formatting and reinstalling any windows and you will see an instant improvement, its laster on when you install more programmes you get bother, vista if i remember taks up 20gig of hard drive space in a back up feature which is useless, get rid and put on XP although this isnt as easy as i sounds :whatthe:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Replacing vista with xp

is definitely NOT for the faint hearted. Took me 2 weeks of tracing all the drivers and getting it to load up (HP laptop). In the end though it was well worth the effort. So much faster and no crashes. I run a lot of stuff off usb and certain programs would give me the blue screen of death (BSOD) with vista. Now with xp BSOD is a thing of the past. Totally agree with Slickmouse.

Last edited:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Glad your sorted

Now that you have it running sweet, I would suggest you purchase the ultimate restore

Acronis true image

The best protection and restore for £24 its a must

Regards

While it might be useful in certain situations, nothing can beat a properly maintained pc running xp. Never feel the need to have that form of recovery. I always back up important data and never use restore points, I am not comfortable that a problem is resolved by using a restore point, especially as they can harbour malware. However if you aren't particularly computer literate that's reason enough for using them, so I'm not suggesting you shouldn't use them just that I never do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
HUMBLE PIE THEN ! VISTA IS BRILL ? STILL FAR FROM CONVINCED THOUGH THINK ITS A TICKING TIME BOMB. Alan Thank goodness i do have a 2nd lappy on XP . Tricky exercise to get enough features reinstated using a 3 dongle downloading at a genuine 30kb/s. max must have downloaded at least 1GB. of progs. and updates:Eeek::Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
HUMBLE PIE THEN ! VISTA IS BRILL ?

No need to go *that* far. I'm typing this on XP. I prefer XP.

Vista has been forced on me by laptops, PCs I build myself so XP, but all you have to ask is, "if Vista was useless why hasn't the tens of millions of users caused an outcry ?"

At first you would not know my Vista was Vista, every feature is set to look like 2000/XP, mickey mouse is banished wherever possible.

If W7 is an improvement on Vista with no fixed mickey mouse features then I'll try it on my laptop after it's been out a good while. But I'm sure it will be overloaded with a mass of unwanted crap that looks wonderful on demo in PC World.

I can remember, not that long ago, "*&^^%$ XP, I don't want that" and I put W2K on a new laptop. But XP went back after a while because W2K was getting past it, just as XP will be any time now.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
No need to go *that* far. I'm typing this on XP. I prefer XP.

Vista has been forced on me by laptops, PCs I build myself so XP, but all you have to ask is, "if Vista was useless why hasn't the tens of millions of users caused an outcry ?"

At first you would not know my Vista was Vista, every feature is set to look like 2000/XP, mickey mouse is banished wherever possible.

If W7 is an improvement on Vista with no fixed mickey mouse features then I'll try it on my laptop after it's been out a good while. But I'm sure it will be overloaded with a mass of unwanted crap that looks wonderful on demo in PC World.

I can remember, not that long ago, "*&^^%$ XP, I don't want that" and I put W2K on a new laptop. But XP went back after a while because W2K was getting past it, just as XP will be any time now.

I agree all OS one by one will eventually end up on the scrapheap,XP then Vista and so on. They all come with bagage and addons ;but these are easily taylored to your personal needs.

I have an old XP lappy thats basically just collecting dust now. Having got rid of all the mickey mouse bits in Vista, its a system i prefer.

I will be upgrading to the windows 7 OS although i do believe it looks like, smells like ,and runs like Vista, with improvements.

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
HUMBLE PIE THEN ! VISTA IS BRILL ? STILL FAR FROM CONVINCED THOUGH THINK ITS A TICKING TIME BOMB. Alan Thank goodness i do have a 2nd lappy on XP . Tricky exercise to get enough features reinstated using a 3 dongle downloading at a genuine 30kb/s. max must have downloaded at least 1GB. of progs. and updates:Eeek::Eeek:
Reinstalling your OS with only 30kb/s download :Eeek: brave man!

Now you know what's involved reinstalling your software /updates/etc,etc to get your pc up and running as you want it(as it is now)

If you made an image with acronis as it is now, and later on your pc had problems,Then within 15 mins your pc would be as it is now:thumb: with all your programs/updates/and settings

no dongle required::bigsmile: save on paracetamol's too

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you made an image with acronis as it is now, and later on your pc had problems,Then within 15 mins your pc would be as it is now:thumb:

no dongle required::bigsmile:

Regards

You make it sound so easy !!!!

But it isn't, for me anyway, I have a mass of software to run, compliers, CAD, Office. I reckon well over a week before it's anything like stable and months before the little used utilities are all on.

So the problem is, I have the basic OS backup, but with all the above then it would be like the old days of stuffing 20 floppies in except now DVDs. Now, with cheap USB HDs it's becoming a viable option. Next crash I'll dedicate a new drive to a full backup.

But when - 1 week ? 2 weeks ? 1 month ?

What I DON'T have on any of my computers is random crap loaded willy nilly off the internet. I think that is a major factor in the tale of "Vista is crap...."

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
You make it sound so easy !!!!

But it isn't, for me anyway, I have a mass of software to run, compliers, CAD, Office. I reckon well over a week before it's anything like stable and months before the little used utilities are all on.

So the problem is, I have the basic OS backup, but with all the above then it would be like the old days of stuffing 20 floppies in except now DVDs. Now, with cheap USB HDs it's becoming a viable option. Next crash I'll dedicate a new drive to a full backup.

But when - 1 week ? 2 weeks ? 1 month ?

What I DON'T have on any of my computers is random crap loaded willy nilly off the internet. I think that is a major factor in the tale of "Vista is crap...."

For most pc's it is that easy, although the time it takes to restore will depend on the data you have.I have full backups and incremental backups all on a 1 terabyte separate hard drive.

Once you have done a full backup which in your case would probably take quite some time,you then could do the incremental each week which just add recent data. When your separate hard drive is getting full simply delete the earlier ones.

There is a free trial so nothing to loose if you wanted to try it

regards

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
if your copy of vista is the ultimate edition it has a very good hard drive image backup option, not sure if the home edition has this function.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
sinbad1;175950Once you have done a full backup which in your case would probably take quite some time said:
There is very little data, that's well backed up, it's installing and configuring the software that really takes time.

I took an acronis - fully paid up member - backed last time I re-installed. Fingers crossed I've not had to try it yet. I am not brave enough to "right lets see if this works - Restore", oh no, not by a long way. If it works don't fix it.

Thinks......."Now where is that image stored ???????????"

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
There is very little data, that's well backed up, it's installing and configuring the software that really takes time.

I took an acronis - fully paid up member - backed last time I re-installed. Fingers crossed I've not had to try it yet. I am not brave enough to "right lets see if this works - Restore", oh no, not by a long way. If it works don't fix it.

Thinks......."Now where is that image stored ???????????"

You should be able validate your backup to see if its OK

The other thing you can do, it depends on your version, is to mount the backup as a virtual drive, which is useful since you can copy any data that's in your backup that you may have deleted just as you would with any drive.You do need to unmount the virtual drive afterwards.

Great for cloning if you want to move your OS to a bigger drive

your backup is probably in amongst all those thousands of cad files :ROFLMAO:

regards

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
SWMBO runs Vista Premium, I run Vista Ultimate and we think they are great. Just bought a Samsung netbook which is running XP and I'll leave it be. We only have our programs on the C drive all other stuff goes onto a separate drive. Makes it easier when you want to reformat which we do maybe once a year. Keeps things in good order as all operating systems gather dross over time slowing them down at best and causing problems at worst. ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have Vista Business on my small Sony and had trouble at first, but over the past year it has improved and I'm quite happy with it now .. but Not as good as OSX on the Mac , which IMO is probably the most stable and easy to use platform available.. I fear Windoze 7 will be just a bloated Vista with more gizmo's and fancy screens to slow things up..

Why can't Microsoft get into bed with Apple and produce the ultimate platform.. after all, Macs can now run Windoze's software .. so why can't Windoze's machines run OSX ?

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I have Vista Business on my small Sony and had trouble at first, but over the past year it has improved and I'm quite happy with it now .. but Not as good as OSX on the Mac , which IMO is probably the most stable and easy to use platform available.. I fear Windoze 7 will be just a bloated Vista with more gizmo's and fancy screens to slow things up..

Why can't Microsoft get into bed with Apple and produce the ultimate platform.. after all, Macs can now run Windoze's software .. so why can't Windoze's machines run OSX ?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:be an apple crumble then:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Think you are right about windoze 7 I'm sure there will be improvements in the OS ?
we'll have to wait and see.

regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back