Xp-vista windows7

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by GIBLA53, Aug 3, 2009.

1. GIBLA53

GIBLA53 Read Only Funster

Anyone out there used Windows 7 beta as a trial ? My Vista operating system is rubbish and would like some opinions whether to bite the bullet for a downgrade to XP or wait til October and upgrade . My o/s is Vista home and Acer do offer downgrades (at cost for home premium) would i be better advised to wait a while? System just freezes on a regular basis and intermittently wont successfully shut down -its as if its "whirring" away in its own little world (laptop not wife) help Alan:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. GIBLA53

Sorry-should be in Computing and having found a similar thread in there an even bigger sorry:Blush::Blush::Blush:

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I've got two laptops on Vista. The most used is running heavyweight compilers for industrial computers, it works.

I do stick to XP Pro for my office system.

I suggest that either your laptop is faulty, you have some disc corruption ( which you will cure by installing XP then declare Vista was obviously the cause ) or you have some flaky software running.

4. acdcdave

acdcdave Funster

Alan,

You seem to have number of issues. It sounds as if your laptop is overloaded and whilst changing the O/S might help you should have a good clean out first before such a drastic step. Clear the HD as much as possible and defrag it. Get rid of unused software and keep unused data, photos etc etc on a separate backup hard drive. Have as few options as possible showing on the desktop. Can you increase your memory? This gives the best bang per buck of anything. The HD should be less than one third full. Changing the O/S is unlikely to speed things up; Windows 7 has had rave reviews but is itself, like Vista, very large in it's processing needs. XP is smaller and still a good bet but will not be supported by Microsoft for long. If your machine meets the processor and hard drive recommendations for Windows 7, I would go for that when it is released comercially in the next few months. Get a power user friend to help and have everthing backed up. It can be a long painful business!!! Try a heavy house clean first though.

Good luck, ACDCDAVE

5. hilldweller

I'd go further, re-format the HD, then install new -- provided you can do this and are not blocked because an upgrade requires the previous OS.

A_Good_Plan I sometimes use, buy a new HD, fit this and keep the old one in a USB case to act ask backup and to revover data you need to the new HD.

6. GIBLA53

Thanks again ACDCDave and Hilldweller started removing progs. ---have been trying to remove i-player now for 30 mins --zilch its stuck busy doing nothing ! aaaaaaaaah Alan

7. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I go with Brian, if you regular surf the web you will collect all kinds of rubbish, the only way to get rid of it and return you computer to its original speed is to reformat.

Make a directory of all you wish to keep, don't rush it, there is always something that you will forget.

Back it up, if you don't have the capacity to back it up go and buy an external HD then re-install your data after reformat.

It sounds simple when you say it quick and when you get used to it, it is but the first time it will probably take 2 days to get every thing back together again.

The reward is a near virgin computer with all its original speed, I do this at least 2 and somtimes 3 times a year.

Doug...

Good luck..

8. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hi.

Been using windows 7 RC for a couple of weeks now after buying the new laptop to run it on and it's solid.

Much better than vista (IMHO)

USING IT AS I FEEL IT'S THE O/S THAT MANY COMPANIES OUT THERE ARE WAITING FOR AS AN UPGRADE TO XP.(And I need to support them when they do):Doh:

Just been told our company is ready to roll it out trialling it with our dept first.

Just make sure your hardware is current and supported by the drivers.

Steve.

9. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

I use vista no problems, vista does need a fair bit of memory, at least 2gig if you only have 1gig then this could be the reason your pc is slow.

turning off disk defrag will stop background harddrive activity,i use a third party one.Turn off UAC if you haven't allready and general housekeeping should keep it sweet.

To shut down vista quicker,

Do this:

1. Start Regedit.
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management

Is the "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" set to "1" ? If so do this:

3. Select ClearPageFileAtShutdown from the list on the right.
    4. Right click on it and select Modify.
    5. Change the value to 0 to disable.
    6. close regedit
    7. Reboot your computer.

Personally i would keep your vista try and solve your issues and wait for the windows 7 release.

Whilst XP is a good OS and a lot sware by it , like others it will become outdated.Going back to xp IMO would be a backward step.

Regards

10. duetto owner

duetto owner Read Only Funster

how much RAM do you have you need 2g of RAM for vista to run fast. If you have the RAM and you keep the computer regulary defragged and clear of clutterthat builds up it should run faster than xp. [except if running games]

use Download MyDefrag 4.1.2 - FileHippo.com to defrag and optimise the hard drive, first run slow optimise then once a week run fast optimise.

to clear clutter run
    Download CCleaner 2.22.968 - FileHippo.com on a daily or regular basis.

to clear any spyware slowing you down run
    Download SuperAntiSpyware 4.27.1000 - FileHippo.com

and or [but not at same time]
    |MG| Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.40 Download

also run chkdsk for bad sectors oh the hdd
    goto my computer - right click c drive - properties - tools - error checking - clik check now - tick both boxes & start now it will as to schecdule scan at next restart click yes.
    scan will run when computer next restarts [will take about 15-20mins]

for results goto - admin tools - event viewer - application - scroll down list and click on winlog on for results .

all the above will help speed things up.

11. GIBLA53

Just a final note/update i tried all of the advice ie good housekeeping with defrags.,anti-spyware etc. then bit the bullet and pressed the magic keys Alt F10 and waited with trepidation . It worked hey presto but upon reinstalling some of the programmes like Skype the lappy was becoming unstable again So another factory restore and 12 hours later here i am with a "steady" o/s that will quickly shut down and not freeze (famous last words) = result SO ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS FOR THE ADVICE I WOULD NOT HAVE ATTEMPTED IT WITHOUT :Smile: ALAN

12. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Get an Apple. l have no such problems.
    Craig.

13. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Glad your sorted

Now that you have it running sweet, I would suggest you purchase the ultimate restore

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acronis-True-Image-Home-2009/dp/B001GCTRBE"]Acronis true image[/ame]

The best protection and restore for £24 its a must

Regards

14. slickmouse

slickmouse Read Only Funster

I wouldn't touch Vista with a bargepole and know of no business running it, stick to XP, 7 is getting there and will be better than XP but not for a year at least

15. hilldweller

I fail to see the magic words - "Sorry Vista it was the rubbish on my HD not you".

16. slickmouse

slickmouse Read Only Funster

Re formatting and reinstalling any windows and you will see an instant improvement, its laster on when you install more programmes you get bother, vista if i remember taks up 20gig of hard drive space in a back up feature which is useless, get rid and put on XP although this isnt as easy as i sounds :Eek!:

17. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

Replacing vista with xp

is definitely NOT for the faint hearted. Took me 2 weeks of tracing all the drivers and getting it to load up (HP laptop). In the end though it was well worth the effort. So much faster and no crashes. I run a lot of stuff off usb and certain programs would give me the blue screen of death (BSOD) with vista. Now with xp BSOD is a thing of the past. Totally agree with Slickmouse.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  18. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

While it might be useful in certain situations, nothing can beat a properly maintained pc running xp. Never feel the need to have that form of recovery. I always back up important data and never use restore points, I am not comfortable that a problem is resolved by using a restore point, especially as they can harbour malware. However if you aren't particularly computer literate that's reason enough for using them, so I'm not suggesting you shouldn't use them just that I never do.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  19. GIBLA53

HUMBLE PIE THEN ! VISTA IS BRILL ? STILL FAR FROM CONVINCED THOUGH THINK ITS A TICKING TIME BOMB. Alan Thank goodness i do have a 2nd lappy on XP . Tricky exercise to get enough features reinstated using a 3 dongle downloading at a genuine 30kb/s. max must have downloaded at least 1GB. of progs. and updates:Eeek::Eeek:

20. hilldweller

No need to go *that* far. I'm typing this on XP. I prefer XP.

Vista has been forced on me by laptops, PCs I build myself so XP, but all you have to ask is, "if Vista was useless why hasn't the tens of millions of users caused an outcry ?"

At first you would not know my Vista was Vista, every feature is set to look like 2000/XP, mickey mouse is banished wherever possible.

If W7 is an improvement on Vista with no fixed mickey mouse features then I'll try it on my laptop after it's been out a good while. But I'm sure it will be overloaded with a mass of unwanted crap that looks wonderful on demo in PC World.

I can remember, not that long ago, "*&^^%$ XP, I don't want that" and I put W2K on a new laptop. But XP went back after a while because W2K was getting past it, just as XP will be any time now.