Xmas

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ivory55, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

How many are getting ready and looking forward to that legal requirement of having one lot of parents for Xmas then the other the following Xmas, and they keep a diary of days and hours they get to check the other is not getting more time. Really looking forward to it, haha

• Like Like x 1
  2. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Fortunately we both have siblings :) who cover it :D

3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We broke that trend about 10 years ago.

These days we have Xmas on our own and visit the parents for a weekend each in the run up to Xmas.

You stay sane that way:D

• Like Like x 3
  4. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Unfortunately mine have long since died ,as has my father-in-law , God rest him.
    Fortunately mother-in-law is hated by all(y) & everyone & I have only seen her a few times in my life. Even the wife doesn't come for Christmas when there treble bubble available.:LOL:(y)

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Anyone at a loose end with nobody to invite then please feel free to ask.
    My 93yo MIL is a bloody pain but we get landed with her every year.....ill even deliver.

• Like Like x 5
  6. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Ah yes! Christmas, the holiday that divides families!
    Me? A country hotel with a good friend who is also avoiding family, good food, expensive wines and wonderful service...
    I've got the rest of the year to be nice to families, and staying away, I'm out of their hair and can enjoy seeing them at a less frantic time of year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Yes Papa John I know the feeling,
    She has two sons also , one of whom is desperately disappointed when he realises that he has forgotten to ask her!, and once again she is planted upon us!

I look forward to disappearing for the festive period to somewhere warm, I fear I may still have some time to wait.

8. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

All gone, so just me and she, and we LIKE it !!!!
    Too expensive to go some where warm over the festive period, so we will do something afterwards....

9. The Dude

The Dude Funster

I'm dreading it!! MIL has decided that she won't travel anymore and therefore won't be coming to us for Christmas. Normally when we visit her we stay on a campsite in the van within a few miles of her house and everytime I cook for us in the van. She can't (won't?) cook so if we go to her my only options are to cook Christmas dinner in the van (not really an option with the pathetic cooker in the van) or to cook Christmas dinner for us at her house. Don't fancy either to be honest but she is 87 so I will have to make concessions. And, just in case anyone suggests, we have no intention of paying pub/restaurant exhorbitant prices for Chistmas dinner. Can you tell I'm a bit grumpy about it?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

We never started the dreaded tradition telling our parents that we wanted to start our own Christmas traditions, now the kids have flown the nest it's great just the two of us, although it did take awhile to get there.

11. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Have the in-laws coming to us for Christmas, my parents are gone. We normally have quite a good time!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

All our parents and in-laws are no longer with us. Kids don't live with us but we have 3 sons, one daughter in law, one grandson and probably an ex brother in law for Xmas with us.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Would love to roll back the years and have my mum and dad back for christmas dinner:(, mother in law was lovely too. Just hoping that the scroogy (!) grumpy one we have left will keep himself out of hospital this year, spent last 2 out of 3 there on his death bed! Love a house full at christmas, wouldn't like it any other way. Will need a holiday when it is over though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

both my mum and m-i-l have died in the last few months, leaving us as the oldies. sister and b-i-l both died on the run up to last christmas, so this year we are gathering as many of the family together to make sure this one is memorable for the right reasons. doing this in our childhood home (me and remaining sister) as it will likely be sold in the coming year

looking forward to christmas though as it will put a few ghosts to rest and we all intend to see it as a turning point and look to the future

• Like Like x 13
  15. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

I guess one of the things that makes Xmas better if they are less demanding . Some are harder work then others.

16. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

We 'camp' on the road-in the MoHo-outside parents in law and I cook Xmas for them. This year may be a bit dodgy as he's in hospital and she's just had knee done! At least it doesn't last long!

• Like Like x 1
  17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes indeed.. likewise.. Jan and I have no parents alive to ask around, .. .. we still miss them all .. :cry:

with no parents, aunts or uncles left alive.. am now the family elder.. it's a sobering thought. :unsure:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Granjan

Granjan Funster

We jokingly call the sofa "death row at christmas" only three octogenarians left in our extended families then its us too! :Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave Funster

We have the pleasure of going to son / daughter for Christmas, they generally take it in turns. We had our invitation for Christmas in July this year so they must want us. It is only for the day though as all the family live within a few miles.

Have a happy Christmas everyone, what ever you are doing.

Dave

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

We told our son he is under no obligation at all for Xmas , as we know what it's like. He usually does Xmas but new year no way.