Xmas in Venice in the van. Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
This'll be our first Xmas away from the family. They are all flying our on the 27th to join us for a week in an airbnb so we don't feel hard done by in fact it was our choice - didn't seem a good idea to lose all the mileage we've made by going back to the UK as we plan in carrying on till April.
However Xmas in Venice - just us two in the van - plus my birthday on dec 23rd. Do you think there'll even be a campsite open? Or anywhere open on Xmas day in Venice? Public transport is bound to be closed.
We'll probably just spend the day walking rather than skyping the kids.
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas of where we could go or what we could do. It'll probably be one of those go with the flow kind of days and hang out with whoever else has fetched up at the same site.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I can't comment as such. Ive always wanted to see Venice, just sailed out from it a few wks ago but never saw any of it on foot. At the end of the city just before the open sea we saw around 6 MHs wild camping.

Hopefully Alan @rupert will take me in MHnext year. Please keep us up to date with plenty of photos and info.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
At the end of the city just before the open sea we saw around 6 MHs wild camping
....................................in the lagoon. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There are dozens of camp sites and an aire at Punta Sabbioni. I would be surprised if anything is open but not surprised if it's cold and miserable.

I'm sure there is MH parking on the car park on the island near the station.

But check first, this is from memory.

Now in June, what delight, warm/hot some truly magnificent campsites, can't fail to enjoy it.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I've been once (mid summer) and really loved it . Hubby's not been yet so looking forward to showing him.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I imagine the Basilica San Marco will be open on Christmas Day, but take your wellies in case the Piazza San Marco is underwater.

You'd need the ferries to be operating to use the Punta Sabbioni aire.

Have they finished the flood barrier in the lagoon yet?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Did Venice at Christmas once when I was a driver, it was actually Boxing Day! Public transport, well the waterbus, was working but everything else closed - it was cold and raining.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Ah well that's good to know.
Not sure where we'll be camping