Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Does anybody have this Satnav?
It is an Xgody 718 and I am having trouble setting it up.
When I connect to my laptop all I get is this screen:
image.jpeg

It has been like this for over an hour now.
I have contacts customer services and although they are very helpful the time delay means I can only go through one set of instructions a day.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The dark & mystical arts of connecting peripherals. Should be straightforward but more often than not, isn't.

Usual advice:
  • Why does the GPS need to be connected to a laptop for setup?
    Is it for updating firmware or mapping?
  • Start again - unplug both units, reboot both units & wait until you're certain they've both fully completed their start up processes. Only then try connecting again.
  • With the GPS unconnected what do you see on the screen?
  • Is the GPS fully charged?
  • You might have to change a setting on the tablet GPS to enable data transfer
  • What do you see on the laptop screen when you plug-in the GPS?
  • Has the laptop recognised the GPS as a peripheral device?
  • Have you tried a different USB cable, not all cables are capable of doing both power & data
  • Have you tried a different USB socket on your laptop - sometimes a different socket can kick things into life
  • Is it possible to try using a different laptop or pc?
Apologies if you've tried all this, or sucking eggs comes to mind.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Mine did that as well and I just couldn't get it to work. Ended up sending it back and got a full refund. Hope you did not get sent the unit I sent back :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
The dark & mystical arts of connecting peripherals. Should be straightforward but more often than not, isn't.

Usual advice:
  • Why does the GPS need to be connected to a laptop for setup?
    Is it for updating firmware or mapping?
  • Start again - unplug both units, reboot both units & wait until you're certain they've both fully completed their start up processes. Only then try connecting again.
  • With the GPS unconnected what do you see on the screen?
  • Is the GPS fully charged?
  • You might have to change a setting on the tablet GPS to enable data transfer
  • What do you see on the laptop screen when you plug-in the GPS?
  • Has the laptop recognised the GPS as a peripheral device?
  • Have you tried a different USB cable, not all cables are capable of doing both power & data
  • Have you tried a different USB socket on your laptop - sometimes a different socket can kick things into life
  • Is it possible to try using a different laptop or pc?
Apologies if you've tried all this, or sucking eggs comes to mind.
Thanks for your detailed reply and "sucking eggs" is not an issue as I am not well versed in computers.
1 It needs connection to update maps (according to customer services)

2 just tried that......no different.

image.jpeg

4 yes, fully charged

5 not as far as the poorly written instructions say.

6 laptop screen shows this:
image.jpeg

7 I think so.

8&9 have now done these with no difference.
10 none available.
I have tried opening the files GPS and Mobilenavigator but they won't open.
Hoping it's not a faulty unit as it was a Christmas present :(

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
  • Are you certain the maps need updating as it's 'new'?
  • Does it work as it is, with the 'old' existing maps?
  • Is it possible to download the new maps to a folder to your laptop and then copy'n'paste the file(s) to the relevant folder ? Basically attacking the issue backwards - if the GPS hangs whilst initiating the update, do it via the laptop.
  • That begs the question, do you have a site where updated maps are available.
  • If we knew the mapping, maybe someone could suggest an alternative source?
  • Does it have a removable [micro]SD card, do you have an adapter to plug into your laptop - it might be possible to transfer the files directly rather than use an USB cable.
My friend got her grandson [7] a cheap xGody tablet for Christmas and it seems to be fine...

The graphic seems to depict telling you to insert a data card into the sat nav.
Back to basics :rolleyes:, it might be as simple as this - are you sure there's a SD card installed? Have they forgotten to include it?

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
@Langtoftlad @Gooney @Puddleduck Thanks for all your input (y)
I have now sorted it :clap2: I found an icon not mentioned in the handbook and played with that. Hey presto, laptop recognises it and I can use it properly. Have tried UK, French and Spanish co-ordinates and they all work.
We are all set to go to Spain in Feb now :clap:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Go on :D - tell us what icon ;) - and what you did :cool:.
Might help someone else, save them from returning it, or throwing it against the wall! :LOL:

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Go on :D - tell us what icon ;) - and what you did :cool:.
Might help someone else, save them from returning it, or throwing it against the wall! :LOL:
Ok.
It was the usb icon next to the factory reset icon.
When clicked there were two boxes one marked mass storage which was ticked and the other was marked ms activesync (not ticked)
I ticked the second box which automatically unticked the first and hey presto all was good.

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Ok - so it was
"You might have to change a setting on the tablet GPS to enable data transfer" [Is there a smug git smiley :giggler: ?]
Not that smug because my suggestion should have USB between enable and data :rolleyes:.

Glad you persevered & got it sorted (y).

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
You have the right to be somewhat smug @Langtoftlad as you were nearly spot on :notworthy2:
Now it's working it seems to be quite a good unit. Seems to do all I need it to and a bit more.
Thanks again for your help.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@Baycott what date are the maps that were loaded on the unit when it arrived? I have been looking at the Xgody download site and the maps there appear to be from Q2 2014 which are 18 months old.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
@Baycott what date are the maps that were loaded on the unit when it arrived? I have been looking at the Xgody download site and the maps there appear to be from Q2 2014 which are 18 months old.
If you can tell me how I can find the info I will gladly tell you but please keep in mind I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to things technical :blush:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The date is usually contained within the file name of the individual country maps e.g. austria_83_here_2014q2_ indicates a file from the Quarter 2 2014 map release. To see what is loaded on the sat nav connect to your pc and navigate to the primo/content/map folder and you will find the files there.

If of course you have updated all of the map files since you received the unit then they will only show what you have put on as you would have deleted the original files as part of the update.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
The date is usually contained within the file name of the individual country maps e.g. austria_83_here_2014q2_ indicates a file from the Quarter 2 2014 map release. To see what is loaded on the sat nav connect to your pc and navigate to the primo/content/map folder and you will find the files there.

If of course you have updated all of the map files since you received the unit then they will only show what you have put on as you would have deleted the original files as part of the update.
Perfect instructions @lunarman :notworthy2:
Turns out that most are 2014Q4 and a few are 2015.03 (not Q3)
Should I ask them for an update?

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
what ever you do don't download from the Xgody download page as they appear to be earlier than those on your unit. It may be worth contacting the supplier to see what they can offer. The latest maps I can find to buy are 2015q2

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
what ever you do don't download from the Xgody download page as they appear to be earlier than those on your unit. It may be worth contacting the supplier to see what they can offer. The latest maps I can find to buy are 2015q2
Thanks for that. I have emailed them asking if they have more up to date maps (y)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for that. I have emailed them asking if they have more up to date maps (y)
Hi @Baycott i know this is one year on since you were gonna check for map updates , i just wondered if you has any luck ?
As i'm thinking on getting one of the XGODY 886 truck sat nav , also now you have used the sat nav how does it perform, as can it get enough power from the cig lighter socker to keep it running for hours on end ok ?

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Hi @Baycott i know this is one year on since you were gonna check for map updates , i just wondered if you has any luck ?
As i'm thinking on getting one of the XGODY 886 truck sat nav , also now you have used the sat nav how does it perform, as can it get enough power from the cig lighter socker to keep it running for hours on end ok ?
It seems to perform well although I still can't find a way to insert a postcode. I have to use coordinates but that is not really a problem. Regarding updates, I never received a reply after several emails. I think there is a way. @lunarman was very helpful to me in setting mine up and has far more knowledge of this system than I do so perhaps he may know a way?
I think, with hindsight, I would have spent more and got a more well known brand.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@Baycott to enter a post code you enter the code in the Town (it may be city I'm doing this from memory) part of find address. For UK post code you must put a space between the 2 parts of the code.

Hope this helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back