X250 scuttle drain improvisation. (1 Viewer)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
tiffy I used something like this up the bonnet edges and around the headlights, on my last van.

Foam Tape Extra Sticky Backed Single Sided Self Adhesive Dark Grey - 10mm Thick from EBay.

John.

tiffy

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
Foam Tape Extra Sticky Backed Single Sided Self Adhesive Dark Grey - 10mm Thick from EBay.

Many thanks John,

Found on e-bay and ordered 2 mtrs of 10 & 19mm widths, not sure which will be best, certainly doesn't cost a fortune.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
highlight the text and click on quote when the button pops up
LOL you learn something new every day., thanks for making my life easier in future, as I did that post by copy n paste lol
Thanks for the heads up yy yy

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for the tip #Bart , I had not yet considered ingress via the headlamp periphery. Been giving all my attention to the lower windscreen/bonnet.

karlm

Free Member
Oct 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Relay Van Conversion
Hi all,

I have a 2008 Relay Van. I notice i am getting a lot of water on the Ecu fuse box etc. I have a small drain hole with nothing attached what a stupid design lol. I am also getting a lot of water ingress down the side join of the windscreen. I have used tape for now for the main windscreen scuttle section. Any ideas what i can do for the corner sections? I do not want to use anything to pemantent yet as i am getting a new screen shortly. thanks

karlm

Free Member
Oct 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Relay Van Conversion
You can see the issue here. Water is running off the roof down the side groove of the windscreen and going in the engine compartment

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    323.2 KB · Views: 120
Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
1570802552524531623648.jpg

Its a very poor design. I sealed mine in totally and did the extra drains. No leaks in engine bay now. However the damage was done in the ten years of water ingress. Rotten engine and rotten electrics. I would be very cautious buying another X250.

karlm

Free Member
Oct 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Relay Van Conversion
What damage did it do to engine? Did you have a engine cover on yours? Did you use a Sealant on the corner joins? Cheers

karlm

Free Member
Oct 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Relay Van Conversion
Did you have a small drain tube on the passenger side? mine has a small hole but no pipe.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I followed Andy's advice to the letter. Excellent result, the water now drains straight to the road down cut to measure garden hose pipe attached to modified sealant gun nozzles.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Some updates and warnings which I hope are helpful.
1) In each side there is a grommet already fitted on mine on each side of the vehicle , if your 'holes' are full of water you can't see it.
The grommet can be seen in this picture which also shows the drain I fixed in with Araldite and the little drain hole it had anyway. This was blocked anyway, so I poked it out and sealed it with Araldite.
Note as others have done I have sealed the end of the windscreen finisher and also fixed the 'P' moulding all the way along.
Note the 'bush' is not my dash full of sawdust. it's a refection of a tree behind!
screen 1.jpg

Here are some views of the drain hose on the offside.

screen 3.jpg

screen 4.jpg

I have also fitted an 'extension' to the Fiat engine cover, see below

screen 2.jpg

2) A couple of things to watch out for:-
There is not a lot of space for the nozzle of your new drain to project downwards, so careful positioning is necessary. My offside one only just allowed me to push on the hose from the underside.

3) On the nearside my 'hole' was completely full of water so I did not know a grommet was fitted. I chose my position and drilled carefully. The drill made contact with the grommet and felt wrong so fortunately I stopped and then found the grommet.
On this side there is no room for your nozzle in the same position as the grommet due the intrusion of the bonnet hinge so I have for the moment just left the grommet hole open. Water has less chance of doing some damage on the nearside.

4) I looked at a 2014 reg X250 minibus I drive. My motorhome is a 2008 reg.
This had a hole on the nearside and a very small drain tube on the offside which was blocked up. Proved Fiat took some notice of complaints perhaps.
It is not clear if the grommet home on the nearside was left unplugged on purpose or just left out on build.

5) Just a question, on the later revision of the Ducato, 'new shape' intoduced around 2015/2016 is the water ingress issue totally solved ?

Tarry57

Free Member
Feb 20, 2020
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Exp
Since 2016
Hi I had a problem the same as you with water falling on the engine etc but I used a 15mm copper tubing bent over so as to get pliers on it and then heated the pipe with a blowtorch it went through where the small grommet was like a knife through butter. I have also fixed a small funnel with hose attached to the centre fitting under where the two scuttles joins as this leaks badly.
I was told that they have a new upgraded scuttle on the new Ducato x290 but whether the rubber on the screen that it pushes into still leaks I don’t know.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just to add to the thread to keep "options" in one place.

Been working on fixing the windscreen scuttle water ingress on our X250 Ducato incorporating the thoughts specifically from Techno and Bart but including others.
Our scuttle was slightly deforming due to expansion and contraction in the heat \ cold and was concerned whether a "P" seal along the top of the scuttle would be effective enough for us. I also looked at the water evacuation tray \ pipe available from Citroen dealers (and others) but at over £65 and it doesn't solve the ingress just removes the water once it has decided to look to stop the ingress.

Anyway, I've fitted a neoprene rubber strip (40mm x 1mm) along the top of the scuttle but projecting about 15mm or so above this and onto the windscreen. I used Puraflex 40 to stick it to the windscreen taking care to get none between the screen and the scuttle as it would be an absolute bu**er to remove without damaging the scuttle.
The bottom edge of the strip was then stuck to the scuttle using double sided foam tape (12mm wide) but leaving a number of "weep holes" (roughly 17 \ 18mm wide) to allow any water that may (hopefully not!) get behind the strip to drain away. These also allow insertion of a sharp knife to to easy off the tape if the windscreen \ rubber strip needs removed. Obviously, the rubber strip is sacrificial if the screen needs replaced but not an issue in the wider scale of things.

I also fitted 10mm x 19mm self adhesive closed cell foam rubber strips down the bonnet side \ headlamp shut lines. 15mm x 10mm self adhesive closed cell foam rubber pieces were used to fill the gaps in the original sealing strips under the triangular fill in pieces on the wings. I've still to fully seal the ends of the scuttle in line with some previous input.

The central joint in the scuttle was sealed using the Puraflex 40 which, whilst it'll be a pain to remove, should be possible using a sharp blade to cut through it.

Additional drain holes were made using 15mm and 22mm pipe inserts Araldited into place with hoses pushed on from underneath. They would probably stay put but added additional security by using pipe clips.

So far everything seems to be good after the thunder \ lightning \ heavy rain last night. (y)

Total cost was around £20 and I've got enough materials left over to do the whole lot again at least once!:Smile:

A couple of pictures below.

1593170274388.png

Happy with this as I think it looks neat and tidy (ignore the sealant in the centre joint!:rolleyes:).

1593170370716.png

The white "scratches" on the rubber aren't, they're hairs off the dog as I used his towel to dry the water off before taking the pictures!:whistle2:
Wiping over the central seal before it was hardened was not a good idea!:doh: We'll tidy it up later.

As said, so far so good but still got to travel with the fix in place but guess we should be OK.(y)

Oct 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Fiat duc
Exp
since 2014
I've yet to strip and seal my scuttle but having seen other peoples methods I believe this is a quite ingenious and cheap alternative.
CA_01311513305487-L.jpg

CA_01311513453967-L.jpg

CA_01311513511546-L.jpg

CA_01311513451349-L.jpg

CA_01311514073784-L.jpg

More pictures when I do the whole job
Andy - looks like a great solution - can you post a list of components and can you let us know where you got your star washers from and what size?...sorry you might have already done this....many thanks in anticipation topcat57uk

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Andy - looks like a great solution - can you post a list of components and can you let us know where you got your star washers from and what size?...sorry you might have already done this....many thanks in anticipation topcat57uk
topcat57uk I regret to tell you that Andy (Techno ) died last month. We will all miss his technical contributions to the forum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back