X250 scuttle drain improvisation. (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We now have a 2013 Ducato - cleared the blocked windscreen drains and altered them- about to put an extra drain tube in - Was wondering about the Water Evacuation Pipe mod - Take it this is just a couple of bolts and no need to strip out the scuttle?
I am going to seal the middle joint and I guess this extra water evac pipe isn't necessarily needed if you get a good seal? or can water still pour over the top of scuttle in extreme conditions and this is a belt and braces fix?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@SteveandSue most of the problems were cured by installing the Citroen part no. 6454.66 ( water evac pipe )
It is installed in 5 mins , no need to remove the scuttle panel.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Thanks for that Trevor - think I will source one - After starting to solve this problem I can now see why people are so scathing with regard to the design

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@SteveandSue NP , yip i still have water dripping ontp my fuse box,, from between the bonnet and headlights,, still waiting on some foam strip to come from e.bay to see if that fixes that side of it :) then i should be all sealed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
@SteveandSue NP , yip i still have water dripping ontp my fuse box,, from between the bonnet and headlights,, still waiting on some foam strip to come from e.bay to see if that fixes that side of it :) then i should be all sealed
easy to protect the fuse box with a rubber mat. much harder to deal with the cause
a mechanic saw my mat solution last winter and commented what a good idea. he sees loads of these vans with wet fuseboxes. Belt and braces works for me till a proper solution is found

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@TheBig1 my fusebox has 9 years of water on it so i'm sure its bound to have some corrosion issues , although i don't know if the previous owner kept it stored covered / out of the rain.
I still never found out how the water can effect the turbo ,, as the OP in the fiat forum that Techno linked on page 1 of this thread listed the Turbo as one of his problems.
As you can see he had a LOT of problems... :(

Turbo variable vein actuator,
Turbo
Glow plug timer
Glow plug (seized in then snapped off!)
Wiring corrosion problems galore,
Still glow plug wiring issue, bilked in tomorrow for that.
And probably more issues in future due to corrosion,
4.5 weeks off the road since Xmas due to water ingress.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had a flooded fuse/relay box that was causing electrical issues. I dismantled the entire box and unplugged the guts. the internal board, i dried out indoors sat on a radiator and thoroughly cleaned it. the casing and plugs were dried and cleaned. then i drilled drain holes to prevent future flooding, treated all connections with gt85 and reassembled. 2 1/2 years on and no repeated problem

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We are due for our 1st outing in out MH in 3 weeks time , we drove it from where we bought it to home which was about 250 miles and no electrical problems.
I do want to look at the fuse box internally to see if there is corrosion , but i'm not gonna touch it until after we get back ,, that way if we get a problem when away ill know its not something i disturbed :)

P.s are the fuse & relay box the same box ? or are they separate ? if so is it beside the fuse box

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
P.s are the fuse & relay box the same box ? or are they separate ? if so is it beside the fuse box
all in 1 big black box on right inner wing. Not going outside to take a photo this time of the morning

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
yar i know where the fuse box is , just did not know if the relay / s were in there as well :)

OG1

Dec 9, 2013
Sutton on Sea camping
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 7066F
Exp
Since 2008
Did see an Engine cover on a later fiat X250. (504384162 1 192.062)??. (stop water dripping on engine) The only two mods done is fit tray that collects the water from the scuttle joint and duct tap the scuttle that over laps the glass.

OG1

Dec 9, 2013
Sutton on Sea camping
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 7066F
Exp
Since 2008
We have had rain last night, checked the engine bay this morning. No water has managed to drip onto the engine. Using CLOTH DUCT TAPE. (black) may be the answer. Not sure how long it will last, just have to wait an see. Next job solve the problem of water that collects in the AIR INTAKE.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There is already a drain in the air intake. Don't be mislead by a bit of water around the seal with the bonnet up. The drain is further in where it drops, you will find it with your fingers

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Did see an Engine cover on a later fiat X250. (504384162 1 192.062)??. (stop water dripping on engine) The only two mods done is fit tray that collects the water from the scuttle joint and duct tap the scuttle that over laps the glass.
Already covered as is the air intake
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/x250-scuttle-drain-improvisation.101566/#post-1305892

Unless you mean the plastic cover over the injectors? that fails to do the job too as it isn't long enough so all water runs off one end and into the injector valley

Last edited:

OG1

Dec 9, 2013
Sutton on Sea camping
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 7066F
Exp
Since 2008
I have already in stalled the Citroen part you recommended last year, thanks and cleared in air intake tube the down in the engine. just need to remove the water that lays in the air intake that when you lift the hood drips over the air cleaner. I am just a fussy old sod.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Worst place is drivers side windscreen wiper spindle-if water backs up due to blocked drain the spindle rusts up and eventualy seizes up (trust me I know) had to strip mine down and unseize it as fuse kept blowing.Another place water leaks in engine is the bonnet vent where it meets the engine part (rubber seal )-I glued a piece of light plastic on bottom half of bonnet part to extend it into vent when closed .It must be the worst vehicle design as far as keeping water out of engine is concerned.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Alastair these are the ones i used

Here is how i installed mine.
1. With the scuttle removed i cut the appropriate sized hole to just slip through the nozzle ( already cut down in length )
2. Then i loosely fitted the star washer to nozzle and used Sikaflex to seal both sides of the scuttle before taking the slack out of the star washer
3. Next i just laid the scuttle panel on top of a wooden block that i had placed the floor , with the wide end of the nozzle resting on the wooden block i just used a suitable sized socket from a socket set and a hammer just to "persuade" the star washer further up the nozzle so it became tight against the scuttle panel.

Hope this helps

Apr 10, 2017
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, Trevor. I have since removed my post as I see from other posts that the starlock can only be used if the scuttle is removed. That will teach me to read all the posts before posting!

tiffy

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
Apologies in advance for re-opening such an old thread.

As a new owner of a 2014 A-S Warwick XL (Peugeot Boxer) I have now discovered that I very much have the engine bay water ingress issue which plagues these models and have followed the solutions suggested in this post with great interest, amazing that my previous 2005 Hymer B-524 "A" class on a Fiat Ducato had no such issues and virtually all of the much more modern, volume built Sevel vans do.

My van already has the plastic engine cover which as remarked by another member is really not much good as it just tips the water off the bottom LH corner into the injector valley, really need to stop the water ingress at source.

I have already cleared and flushed the 3 existing drain points on the scuttle, likely helps a little but the majority of the water is entering at the scuttle central join point and between the rear of the scuttle and the windscreen seal.
Have ordered the additional centre scuttle and drain from my local Citroen dealer which should help with the scuttle centre join leakage if I can't seal it properly.

In particular, I liked the solution offered by "Bart" inserting the rubber molding strip along the top of the scuttle to windscreen sealing point which he reports was successful, I have ordered 2 meters of the suggested sealing strip.
Wonder if "Bart" is still around and active could he possibly advise if the sealing strip was just inserted behind the scuttle seal or was any form of sealing compound used as well ?

Also, "Bart" was trying to source some foam sealing strip for the bonnet/headlamp edges, wonder if this was a success and if so what was used ?

Finally, has the sealing stood the test of time ?

Many thanks in advance.

tiffy

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
Thanks Neckender,
I had checked earlier that Bart was still around so hopefully he will respond.

As a complete nubie to this forum, is there a PM (private mail) facility to contact other members by e-mail obviously with mutual consent ?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Tap their name under their little picture in the chat. Box will appear and give you the option to start a conversation.

But questions and answers are good on here as all can see, read, and learn. ????

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
to tag a member, place @ before their username and they will be notified

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I have already cleared and flushed the 3 existing drain points on the scuttle, likely helps a little but the majority of the water is entering at the scuttle central join point and between the rear of the scuttle and the windscreen seal.
Have ordered the additional centre scuttle and drain from my local Citroen dealer which should help with the scuttle centre join leakage if I can't seal it properly.
For me I found this was the biggest improvement that I made as any water coming via the scuttle panel at the joint was just directed to the road, thus totally missing the engine :)

In particular, I liked the solution offered by "Bart" inserting the rubber molding strip along the top of the scuttle to windscreen sealing point which he reports was successful, I have ordered 2 meters of the suggested sealing strip.
Wonder if "Bart" is still around and active could he possibly advise if the sealing strip was just inserted behind the scuttle seal or was any form of sealing compound used as well ?
This was actually an idea from Techno
But from my memory I deffo used black tiger seal at the scuttle joint between the left and right part of the scuttle, and I MIGHT of used a small smear of it along the back of the p41 seal (between the seal and window screen), also be sure and have something to clean the excess of the black tiger seal away from the windowscreen, I might of used white spirits??

Also, "Bart" was trying to source some foam sealing strip for the bonnet/headlamp edges, wonder if this was a success and if so what was used ?
I have tried to look at my purchase history for said time and cannot find what size foam I used, plus I no longer have the MH I done this modification to, however the self adhesive foam I used ( which I ran along the glass lip of the headlamp that the bonnet overlaps) did seal the gap between the bonnet edge and the headlight and worked great for 2+years that we had the mh and this mod along with the water evacuation pipe ( part no. 6454.66) from citroen were the most important for me.

Finally, has the sealing stood the test of time ?

Many thanks in advance.
In the time we had the MH our engine bay remained dry and the mods were well worth the efford

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Sometimes it's a good idea to revive an old threds.
I have been trying to combat water on my 2008 X250 in some of the same ways.
It's a real bit of S$$t design.

I've glued an additional plate onto the plastic water shedder clipped onto the cyclinder head.
I've sealed up the join between the windscreen lower finishers (hopefully)
I've resealed and glued the 'P' seal all along the top of both lower windscreen finishers where it meets the windscreen glass.

I must have a look at shielding the fuse box like some have mentioned , had not considered that.
Must put on the agenda fitting the Citroen drain in the centre.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Jake Royd get some self adhesive foam for the gap between the bonnet and headlight that will go a long way to fixing the fuse box ingress

tiffy

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
Bart
Many thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated.
Apologies if I have used the incorrect method/protocol to establish contact, I'am new to this forum and still learning.

Bart said:
This was actually an idea from Techno
But from my memory I deffo used black tiger seal at the scuttle joint between the left and right part of the scuttle, and I MIGHT of used a small smear of it along the back of the p41 seal (between the seal and window screen), also be sure and have something to clean the excess of the black tiger seal away from the windowscreen, I might of used white spirits??

Appreciate that this was over 3 years ago and you no longer have the vehicle.
I will initially try the p41 seal between scuttle and windscreen without any sealing compound, perhaps a slight smear of silicon grease, can always remove and add compound if the seal is still passing water.

Bart said:
I have tried to look at my purchase history for said time and cannot find what size foam I used, plus I no longer have the MH I done this modification to, however the self adhesive foam I used ( which I ran along the glass lip of the headlamp that the bonnet overlaps) did seal the gap between the bonnet edge and the headlight and worked great for 2+years that we had the mh and this mod along with the water evacuation pipe ( part no. 6454.66) from citroen were the most important for me.

You did provide 3 possible links for adhesive foam stips on one of your original posts I will re-visit these and review, very easy to apply and remove if necessary until I find which type is most effective and durable.
The Citroen "Water Evacuation Pipe" now costs £37.32 + VAT from my local Citroen dealer, costly for what it is, as per most auto spares, however, if it works won't complain.

Jake Royd
Many thanks for your input.

Yes, good idea ref. modifying the plastic engine top cover, in it's existing form it just tips any water collected off the LH front corner into the oil filler cap and injector valley, perhaps add yet another drain point there suitably piped away ?

Terrible design, fully agree, it's absolutely rediculous that any manufacturer of any vehicle of this vintage can not achieve an effective weather seal to the engine bay.

I hope to receive my materials early next week and will update on results achieved.

PS. How do I selectively quote from an earlier post as per Bart's post of 17:25 today ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
How do I selectively quote from an earlier post as per Bart's post of 17:25 today ?
highlight the text and click on quote when the button pops up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back