X250 headlight fault

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by Inthezone, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

image.jpg my x250 based autotrail has developed a strange fault, if I turn on the headlights on dipped beam the LH lamp moves to the highest level setting and the motor can be heard running, the right hand one acts normally and can be moved up and down correctly, incidentally the LH lamp has also got condensation in the assembly.
    Any ideas?
    As its misted up I was going to replace the unit has anyone changed there's lately apparent Fiat changed the loom connection to the lamp assy in 2011 and mine is the later one

2. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Sounds like a bad earth?

3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Moisture, there's some around as it is as you say got condensation in it. It could be tracking across the terminals?

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I would take it off and dry it out in the house for a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Inthezone

Has the lamp actuator got a separate Earth as the rest of the lamps in the LH assy work fine?, I can't find a wiring diagram, is the motor controlled by an chassis control unit via a can link?

6. Inthezone

Yes it's somthing I can try, will wait until it's stopped raining

7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

It's picking power up from somewhere and it must be what you are doing eg, powering up a bulb.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Ah, rain= moisture. I wonder where it's getting in? Have you used a hose or power washer on it recently? My Eunos aftermarket front lights mist up sometimes.

9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes it is feasable that the connector changed during 2011 as replacements on ebay are often listed as 2006 to 2011

10. chatteris

chatteris Funster

my 2007 relay had a similar problem and it was putting the bulb failure light on. I had quite a lot of water in the unit and could not remove all of it and drilled a small hole at bottom of lens to get it out, ended up putting a new unit in

11. Techno

Was the fault there prior to unplugging it? I know on mine (2008) it is possible to insert the plug the wrong way around and things don't work correctly as a result.

[​IMG]

12. Inthezone

I will look at that tomorrow it's a good idea, really frustrating these little faults, I have removed the lamp assy a few times.

13. Techno

Me too I only plugged it the wrong way once and bulb failure comes on for sure amongst other anomalies.

14. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Talking of which ................ a long while ago when I was a tugger my wife, kids & I woke up early on a CL near Portsmouth to make our way to the ferry port. Plugged van into car & set off. When I got to the site exit I operated the LH flasher to turn out and nothing happened. went back, replaced appropriate fuse, checked flasher warning inside car was OK, set off again & same thing happened at the exit. So being short of time I stuck a notice in the van rear window saying van lights had failed, unplugged van, replaced fuse and carried on to the ferry queue - carefully. Once there I managed to determine that the fuse blew when the brake pedal was pressed (when connected to the caravan). Anyway to cut a boring ramble short after much head-scratching, consultation of wiring drawings, etc. I found the fault. Part of the black 7 pin plug had cracked off (the part opposite the keying slot and very neatly along mould lines) so the plug could be inserted upside down. Many times apparently :blush::blush:.

15. Inthezone

Update on the headlamp assy, this morning I removed the assy and used a hot air blower (approx 200 degreees celcius) to dry out the lamp housing which was sucessful I then checked that the plug from the main harness could not be reversed (put on wrong way round) it could not.
    After re assembling it back onto the van the same fault exists, with the lights on dipped beam, the LH lamp adjuster motor is running all of the time irrespective to the switch position on the dash (the RH one obeys the switch position) I think I have no option but to either replace the lamp assy, snip the wire to the actuator or to take it into the local Fiat truck and van garage, not sure if I am happy to bodge the lamp assy by cutting the wire as there may be deeper issues.

If anyone has had a similar problem with the X250 base vehicle I would appreciate some help.

Thanks R

16. Inthezone

Further update, now booked in at Fiat professional HTC reading for investigation on Wednesday morning, will report back

17. Inthezone

Went to HTC reading yesterday and they looked at the fault and have decided that the lamp assy needs to be replaced, they contacted Fiat and although the warranty expired last year they are going to cover the replacement under goodwill, so a big thank you to HTC for there helpfulness and good service

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

What a good result ! really please for you :)

19. Phill D

Phill D

great result (y)