x250 fuel filter...alternative fix

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Rocles, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Rocles

Rocles Funster

Having had, for the third time, this Badly made plastic filter housing leak....a great RAC mechanic came up with a different solution. He sourced a new, sealed, metal filter meant for an MG ZF. Its a one piece metal canister....one in, one out pipe, and NO threads to come loose. Fitted it in 30 mins using some adapters and tubing. Absolutely superb, no leaks, permanent fix.....and he left the old filter in situ, with the electric connector in place....which stops any warning lights glowing. Brilliant....just driven nearly 200 miles to Peterborough show, no probs.
    Will post pics and details later...total cost 30 quid :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 7
  2. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

That's what I like an old school mechanic, few and far between these days. :thumb:

In the old days they got you going, and made things fit or repaired it, these days I will have to order the part in, should be here in 3 or 4 days. :Doh: Bob.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Phill D

Phill D

i have watched these threads on fuel filters with interest, was at the van earlier changing air and polen filters and noted that my fuel filter is a sealed unit ( a wix WXWF8408 ) so can only assume FIAT made a change with all the probs that have been experienced. it aint cheap tho at around £40. but at least it dont leak!!!:thumb:

famous last words! ...... why did i say that"! :Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  4. mick noe

mick noe Funster

Mine is fine at the moment changed filter myself and all ok(tempting fate:Doh:)But am very interested in a replacement/alternative so will look forward to photo and perhaps part number:thumb:

5. Phill D

Phill D

look at last filter on the page:thumb:

http://www.livingstonautoparts.co.uk/Service-Parts/Fuel-Filters/Fiat/Ducato/all/2.3/2014/Parts.aspx

6. Rocles

Rocles Funster

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  7. berni109

berni109 Funster

If you manage to get some photos across i would be very interested to see just what the mechanic did in connecting it up.
    thanks
    bern

8. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I am not trying to wee on any ones chips but the filter is designed to filter down to a certain level I would be worried that another filter other than the later spec one would not be fine enough for the system

9. berni109

berni109 Funster

I think u will find that diesel fuel filters do as the name suggests and gets all the engine damaging particles out of the fuel but has to have sufficient throughput for the size of engine.
    If there is an alternative to the poor offering that fiat fit without upsetting the electronics and I can find out how to fit it I would. Long time ago since warranty was an issue for me
    Bern

10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Best solution if you think you NEED a new filter is to replace the whole unit thus negating any requirement to dismantle it. Units can be bought for about £100 complete.
    I will have your old one if it's never been changed :Wink: