X250 etc. Has this happened to you? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I pulled up at our local dump, not parked too well ... went to restart, dash lights came on briefly, then nothing - complete blank. No lights, no starter, nothing, completely dead.

The answer, close all doors, stand aside, press lock on the remote. Ahah, doors locked. So there is power!
Leave a few seconds, press unlock, everything works, magic.

I think what might have happened is that I might have pressed the lock button while turning the key. I don't really know, but it's my guess. And it certainly saved the embarrassment of a breakdown callout.

Many thanks to the staff at our local dump for their help.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Not happened to me but a very useful tip, many thanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not in our camper but our ruddy Renault Twingo did it last week on our way down to Newark to take our camper in for some work! Stopped at service station as the tyre pressure warning light had come on so checked all the pressures, one was a little bit down but not much, but then the car wouldn't fl@ming start! :mad: Add to this that there was an LPG wagon filling up the storage tanks right next to us so it wasn't the best place to hang around!! :confused: Fortunately the driver offered to give the car a push to see if it would bump start, so he and hubby pushed it once and I tried starting it ... nothing, it wouldn't even try ... they then pushed it backwards (tried it in reverse gear) but again nothing, once more forward and hey presto it started! No problem after that then a on Monday this week it did the same again and wouldn't start ... opened door, closed door, locked it, unlocked it, opened door and tried again and it started! Not a clue what's going on with it but if it happens again it'll be going in for a 'medical! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
immobiliser circuit or a dodgy starter motor

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
This sounds very odd, but may be similar to an issue we had with our X250, which suddenly would not start - everything seemed to be working fine, but turn the key to engage the starter - nothing.

To cut a (very) long story short, it turned out that the connector between the ignition switch and the wiring harness had not been clipped in fully, so some of the connectors worked, some didn't work reliably, depending on the vagaries of movement - unlocking the doors made it work once, as did shutting the hab door!

When it was finally uncovered (by our expert auto electrician), a simple squeeze (plus a plastic tie to stop any future movement) fixed all the odd issues forever......or at least to earlier today when I lasted started Eric!!

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
:ROFLMAO:My radio decided to change the language to Italian - so I reset it and saved settings - turned on next day it was Italian again - the fix - open and close cab door !!! Now where is the logic to that one?:ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A very common issue with bikes is someone stops for petrol or whatever, tries to un-arm the alarm to leave, only to find nowt happens

It is caused by mobile phone masts !!!!!!!!!!

I josh you not.
Mobile phone transmitters interfere with a lot of modern alarm and other systems
For bikes I just tell the poor buggers to push the bike 50 yards + down the road and all will be well.. The amount of incredulous call backs I get is great LOL !!

Car systems and fobs use a slightly different system and will reset if the fob is used close enough to the car..
So next time it happens, take a look around for a fone mast.. Oh, and be aware a lot of places the fone transmitter antenna is hidden inside garage signs..

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
A very common issue with bikes is someone stops for petrol or whatever, tries to un-arm the alarm to leave, only to find nowt happens

It is caused by mobile phone masts !!!!!!!!!!

I josh you not.
Mobile phone transmitters interfere with a lot of modern alarm and other systems
For bikes I just tell the poor buggers to push the bike 50 yards + down the road and all will be well.. The amount of incredulous call backs I get is great LOL !!

Car systems and fobs use a slightly different system and will reset if the fob is used close enough to the car..
So next time it happens, take a look around for a fone mast.. Oh, and be aware a lot of places the fone transmitter antenna is hidden inside garage signs..
Very similar to the old Land/Range Rover saga - was it radar?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Very similar to the old Land/Range Rover saga - was it radar?
I believe it was caused the the then 'over the horizon' radar systems.. usually housed in giant golf balls !

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Some Hospitals as well ,i had trouble,and it was said to be the Radiology Unit ?.effected some cars. Bolehill Wirksworth,mate got stuck up there one night... TV masts etc.
Tea Bag

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
had the same with my 4x4 at a warden assisted estate I used to visit regularly. was caused by the radio call system and affected many visiting and residents cars

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I think the difference here was that everything appeared to be dead, it was more like a battery cut out. No display on dash, nothing. No reaction to the remote. When the guy suggested we get out the van, and lock the doors, I said, but there's no power to lock it. But it did lock.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I used to drive trucks fitted with radio controlled Hiabs a few years back.
I worked out of what used to be Wilton ICI on Teesside and worked on site quite a lot.
One of my favourite tricks at half four in the afternoon was to be parked up next to one of the big site car parks and wait for the usual rush to get out into the traffic jams.
Switching on the control box jammed up nearly every car central locking/alarm system for hundreds of yards.
The times that I watched the performance of alarms going off and doors refusing to unlock never failed to amuse me.
By switching between the six channels that I had available made it more fun as I could get more people.
I only used to do it for a minute or two at a time (I'm not a complete ba****d) but the confusion it caused was brilliant.
If the lads had captured me I would no doubt speak with a very high pitched voice now.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I used to drive trucks fitted with radio controlled Hiabs a few years back.
I worked out of what used to be Wilton ICI on Teesside and worked on site quite a lot.
One of my favourite tricks at half four in the afternoon was to be parked up next to one of the big site car parks and wait for the usual rush to get out into the traffic jams.
Switching on the control box jammed up nearly every car central locking/alarm system for hundreds of yards.
The times that I watched the performance of alarms going off and doors refusing to unlock never failed to amuse me.
By switching between the six channels that I had available made it more fun as I could get more people.
I only used to do it for a minute or two at a time (I'm not a complete ba****d) but the confusion it caused was brilliant.
If the lads had captured me I would no doubt speak with a very high pitched voice now.
They used to take our Mobile Phones off us, when we did deliveries to the ships on the berths!. I am actually surprised they allowed Wireless, equipment on the Site?.

Pete

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
They used to take our Mobile Phones off us, when we did deliveries to the ships on the berths!. I am actually surprised they allowed Wireless, equipment on the Site?.

Pete

It was intrinsically tested and was compatible with site electronics and sealed so as to prevent sparks.
They used to take our phones off us for the reason that they weren't tested or sealed.
The radio frequencies of the phones were a lot more powerful than the Hiab ones as well.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It was intrinsically tested and was compatible with site electronics and sealed so as to prevent sparks.
They used to take our phones off us for the reason that they weren't tested or sealed.
The radio frequencies of the phones were a lot more powerful than the Hiab ones as well.

Ok. I know what you mean. BTW, can I ask what is the Showmans Engine in your avtar?

I actually tied to Enlarge it but it just Pixelates?.

Out of interest, When we lived near Yeovil, Our (electric) garage doors used to open occasionally without any input from us!. Turned out that Westlands and the Navy at Yeovilton, was to blame!. When the helicopters where doing Tests and past over the House the avionics would trigger the doors!. It was called "Co-channel" interference.

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Remember an occasion I took a coach, with remote door locking, to Holland and used a coach park near Rotterdam. This coach park was situated within the turning circle used by the trams and, as above, the remote refused to lock/unlock the door. It was another driver who alerted me to the problem - once I moved away from there it was all okay.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Ok. I know what you mean. BTW, can I ask what is the Showmans Engine in your avtar?

I actually tied to Enlarge it but it just Pixelates?.

Out of interest, When we lived near Yeovil, Our (electric) garage doors used to open occasionally without any input from us!. Turned out that Westlands and the Navy at Yeovilton, was to blame!. When the helicopters where doing Tests and past over the House the avionics would trigger the doors!. It was called "Co-channel" interference.

The engine is Lightning II owned by the Preston family, who are the owners of Prestons of Potto haulage company.
Lightning is passing through Stokesley High Street, where I live, on her way to the annual Stokesley Agricultural Show.
At the time she was being driven by Richard Preston, who has sadly died, and steered by Anthony Nelson, a good friend.
Lightning is the only surviving Burrell Showmans engine to have come out of the factory at Thetford with green paintwork, although it doesn't show up in that picture.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back