LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
anyone changed the alternator on a fiat Ducato x250, just wondering wether to do it here on our relatives drive or wait till I get home.
I could access the underneath fairly easily but have read the exhaust needs removing.
Currently were near Glasgow then we're going down to moreton in marsh for a few days.maybe it's easier to keep charging the battery up via ehu.

The alternator packed up leaving home, so decided to keep going. Managed 5 hours driving up here.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i did mine and i had heard you need to release the exhaust but found without actually removing it the alternator wouldnt come ou.t So i removed the power steering pump which was much easier no need to disconnect it just remove from engine and swing it out of the way

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Thanks mitzimad,, did you do it on the drive with out a pit? Have heard it's a bit fiddly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Remove the exhaust :rofl: God you got it easy.

Last one I did, on my car, involved removing EVERYTHING forward of the engine block because the alternator comes out the front and upwards...turbo pipes, air resonator box, glow plug module, brake vacuum unit, loads of vacuum pipes and wiring and (in theory) the radiator.
All out of sight and done by feel.
11 f#+king hours and a pint of claret, start to finish. :Eeek:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When our alternator failed - low-profile coachbuilt - we were taken to a garage for the repair. Had to wait overnight until the replacement arrived (let us park up in their compound) but once it did the mechanic took about 2 hours to change it without help and didn't seem to do any serious dismantling. He did say he was glad it wasn't an A-class - he apparently used to work for a motorhome service dealer. Oh yes, it was New Years Eve as well!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back