X250 Alternator fail (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thought I'd seen the last of that type of failure with phasing out of Lucas ACR types ................. :)
I still have a couple of their regs in a drawer somewhere.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Today I thought now or never , very cold but sunny
I have swapped the regulator and it is now working (y) but my fingers are frozen
Found heki is leaking at same time :mad:

I'm going to save the new alternator for future
So effectively under Ā£20 cure and about 30 minutes
My alternator had completely burnt out Andy, so no choice of a compromise or a fix. :(

Sorry to read about the leaky Heki. Is it around the frame?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My alternator had completely burnt out Andy, so no choice of a compromise or a fix. :(

Sorry to read about the leaky Heki. Is it around the frame?

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Yes it will be Jock but I'm not taking it out, that is pointless unless replacing it.
I'll clean it up/abrade it all around the frame edge and roof and Sika 512 a good bead all round. No big deal in years to come to get it off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
By all accounts these " over running clutch pulleys" or "Alternator decoupler pulleys" fitted to alternators are service items & are meant to be changed A) When the belt is renewed B)when the tensioner is renewed orC) when the alternator is replaced.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
By all accounts these " over running clutch pulleys" or "Alternator decoupler pulleys" fitted to alternators are service items & are meant to be changed A) When the belt is renewed B)when the tensioner is renewed orC) when the alternator is replaced.
Probably good advice as they're not expensive from MAE

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Out of interest does anyone know (for sure) if I'll need a puller to swap the drive pulley from old to new unit?
Never come across one that did. They can be a little stiff through minor corrosion but I've never used a puller on any alternator.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They're only fitted to certain vehicles to cure belt whip. I had reason to investigate them when my daughter (who lives 130+ miles away) was on her second power steering pump. She brought the car to me to see if I could help. Serpentine belt whip was so bad it shook the dashboard. When I researched the problem the cause (on any vehicle where it occurs) turned out to be alternator clutch seizure. The PAS pump failures were caused by the violence of the belt vibration (over 3" belt whip). The alternator and PAS pump were at each end of the whipping section of belt. I changed the alternator pulley which cured it. The pulley 'clutch' is a roller clutch - very reliable but failure is invariably seizure rather than drive disconnection. I surmise that the pulsating load of the alternator sometimes causes 'stretch & release' of the belt. If it hits resonance belt whip would be the likely result.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That photo is of a spline drive socket used to prevent the alternator shaft from turning when the nut is undone/tightened. A man such as yourself will have one of those in his toolbox :D.
He has now but it's more than that. It's a splined shaft and a splined nut and one rotates around the other. Not a socket set job
s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
He has now but it's more than that. It's a splined shaft and a splined nut and one rotates around the other. Not a socket set job
s-l225.jpg
Oh yes I remember now. I was thinking puller when you mentioned extractor. The one I changed had a half nut as part of the centre so a ring spanner was all that was needed (with a spline drive though it).

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I had one fail on saturday which 'stripped'rathe thanseized. Not good when your brake vacuum pump is on the back of the alternator & you are left without brakes & power steering.
Still there was bright side as it has obviously been the source of all problems since boxing day when the engine first shut down via eml.
Since then we've logged , & cleared , 287 various fault codes , none of which was in any way the problem but a result of the failing pulley keep intermittently slipping & so causing ecu to go into limp mode/shut down/throw up all sorts of spurious faults. Last few weeks it occasionally made a noise like a machine gun, & loss of drive, which was assumed to be the diesel pump even by the
auto-electrician/mechanic.
Now ,pully replaced & everything is perfect. If anyone had told me that this pulley could/can cause these sorts of problems when failing I would never have believed it.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp