Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Plus s 670SLT
Exp
Since 2014
Hi.

Being new to MH ownership, I'm after some advice.

We are planning to visit WW1 key sites late October for 9 days. This will take us to France and Belgium.

We plan to use Euro Tunnel, it's cheaper via C&CC, but I understand you can not change times is early, but can if booked direct. Can anyone confirm this, or know of a better/cheaper method of booking?

Are there any must visit sites?

Does Belgium have a good selection of aire's and campsites, to not need to book in advance?

Can you advise the best way find info on Aire's covering The battlefield area's.

Any other useful info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We stayed at camping jugstadion at Ypres in the spring, a very convenient site just a fifteen minute walk from the town and the Menin gate.
Take bikes as loads of cycle paths , all very bike friendly.
Worth booking ahead as very popular site (y)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I am fairly certain that sites we have stayed on at Albert and Peronne are closed at the time you are going to Northern France. We were booked on Jugstadion last week and it was a good job we booked, lots being turned away as full. There is other parking being used in the area that the authorities appear to be turning a blind eye to if its a short stay, on the parking areas on the road between the Menin Gate and the sports centre, near to the Sport Centre. We saw people there for two nights before moving off. It's very busy especially on Saturday nights, as the ceremonies seem to involve a number of participating groups.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
I didn't take into account that some camp sites would be closed, thanks for the warning. We are going between 24th Oct to 3rd Nov, does anyone know the normal end of season date. Does this also apply to aire's?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We also stayed at camping jugstadion at Ypres, you really need to book before you go and it's a bugger to find !!!
The reception is only open a few hours per day, but there is an automatic check in system to open the gates if reception closed.

There were a few vans wild camping on nearby streets, even in the Sports complex car park. If you want to see the Last Post at the Menin Gate, get there for 7pm, lots of people turn up on tour buses !!

You can use Tesco vouchers for the tunnel and you can shift times with them.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for replies.

I have booked Eurotunnel via C&CC, printed off the links and ordered the road-trip Europe.

I also ordered the ACSI book, It has a short life but we have 10 nights; so hope it helps. The book will also give when the sites are open.

The comments on campsite being closed is a concern, so we may need details on Aire's if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Never driven in Belgium, any thing I should be aware of?

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You'll find details of the best sites and aires in the road trip Europe book. Basically you just follow their plan (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Forgot to mention, Belgium roads are like the UK, full of potholes but beyond that it's easy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back