WTF! That's not fit for purpose! (1 Viewer)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I think both @Jaws and @TheBig1 make very valid points.

The sink is not of the best quality, and whatever replacement they sort out will be equally crap and will do the same again.

So although Swift and the dealer shouldn't be "allowed" to get away with it, I think your repair is the best option and you will at least end up with a sink that's fit for purpose, plus save a load of hassle getting Swift/the dealer to sort it out only to have the same thing happen again in a few months...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Minx Girl is spot on IMO.
But this is warranty work which nobody will want to do as Swift will be dictating what they will pay and it won't be what a AWS could get working for Joe Public.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
But this is warranty work which nobody will want to do as Swift will be dictating what they will pay and it won't be what a AWS could get working for Joe Public.

Martin
I think any member of the NCC will undertake the work and then bill Swift for it. Isn't this how the scheme works. I remember getting a repair done this way from a different dealer than where I purchased my motorhome. They would take on the work to keep there staff employed and helps pay the wages.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We, as customers, allow manufacturers to get away with providing shoddy products. If we stopped buying them until/unless they reach a decent standard then Swift et al will soon get the message or go out of business.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just checked my sinks, phew, both OK

One is stainless steel, the other a proper ceramic kitchen sink. I hear that you Euro owners have plastic loos too, how quaint. But then I suppose the porcelain loo in my van would take most of your payload ;)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Such poor service from Swift once again, obviously as a company they just don`t care about their customers to treat them with such contempt.

Sad thing is we keep buying their inferior product with promises of warranties yet when you have a problem they basically stick two fingers up to you.
Perhaps a few small claims court appearance might change their customer care policy.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Sad thing is we keep buying their inferior product with promises of warranties yet when you have a problem they basically stick two fingers up to you.
Perhaps a few small claims court appearance might change their customer care policy.

My case rests, m'lud.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You buy what you can afford so why should that cause the items to be unfit for purpose. Whether you own a Rolls or a Renault you would expect it to give good service.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As most brand new motorhome owners never use the toilet or sink or cooker in their vans but rely on campsite facilities , I suppose most fittings are just cosmetic by the manufacturer in the hope that they will never be used.
We have a 07 compass that is one of the vans poopooed on here but it has a full cooker like a house one, similar fridge, steel sink, that all work as intended.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

One is stainless steel, the other a proper ceramic kitchen sink. I hear that you Euro owners have plastic loos too, how quaint. But then I suppose the porcelain loo in my van would take most of your payload ;)
Had the option of a posh ceramic loo but why should my sh*t get the benefit:D2.And I'm a tight ar*e.:D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Martin
Wrong time of year, loads of new vans going on the road, loads of vans in for damp & hab checks. Probably be much easier to get it sorted in November/December when they could do with the work.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As most brand new motorhome owners never use the toilet or sink or cooker in their vans

Do you think that most don't use the toilet or sink or cooker? I don't know anyone who doesn't use those things. Ovens maybe, but the rest, I'd guess the vast majority get used.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

I hear that they "Poo" into a little pot that they slide out of the side of the van everyday and wheel around a field!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Do you think that most don't use the toilet or sink or cooker? I don't know anyone who doesn't use those things. Ovens maybe, but the rest, I'd guess the vast majority get used.
Talking to a German dealer they said most of the trade in vans the shower has never been used, must remember to keep away from smelly Germans when on Aires with no facilities.:D

In our case if we paid for it, we are using it.:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry Jim don't agree on this, how many times do people come on here, saying they have to be on site as they don't use the ones in the van, and if they are not use ing the cooker what need would they have for the sink?
I must admit I don't go looking in new vans very often but when I have been to a dealers for bits and had a quick glance in they are always shown with sites in mind and often come with a list of sites to go to, listing showers and toilets and washing up facilities. We are now on a camp at caister, and the folks in the vans around us are all trotting off to the showers with their towels and stuff.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry Jim don't agree on this, how many times do people come on here, saying they have to be on site as they don't use the ones in the van, and if they are not use ing the cooker what need would they have for the sink?
I must admit I don't go looking in new vans very often but when I have been to a dealers for bits and had a quick glance in they are always shown with sites in mind and often come with a list of sites to go to, listing showers and toilets and washing up facilities. We are now on a camp at caister, and the folks in the vans around us are all trotting off to the showers with their towels and stuff.

Maybe we should have a poll :)

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I run a garage/mot repair buisness, and i would say take it back to where you bought the van..and dont leave until you have a clear answer that you expect this issue to be fixed for free.this is clearly a design fault,and guaranteed you are not the first to have this problem. A small issue like this is sure to test the attitude and customer loyalty service.this should be fixed by the seller,forget the swift warranty,the dealer has made thousands on the sale...i as a garage owner would never dispute this problem in fear of getting a bad reputation, dealers are so quick to "pass the book" these days.good luck.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Just a thought but why no negotiate an amount of money with the dealer and then pay someone to put in a better sink.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Rubber solution ?

I have to say, for your sake, I can't see that lasting a day.

Some form of fine fibreglass cloth on the back would be my way.

The rubber solution was just for the top end so the sink is water tight and smooth again. I am going under it with fibre glass resin etc and strengthining strips moulded to it so it's "fit for purpose" just starting simple and building up

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The rubber solution was just for the top end so the sink is water tight and smooth again. I am going under it with fibre glass resin etc and strengthining strips moulded to it so it's "fit for purpose" just starting simple and building up
I don't think polyester resin will stay on the back so Epoxy would be a better option.

Martin

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
To finish off this thread

While back at the dealers for the Heater sorting I mentioned the sink issues (had spoke on the phone previously about this)

I showed what I had done as a temporary fix to get by and asked if they could sort talking to Swift about a replacement sink top.

When collecting the van (heater sorted) they told me that instead of swapping a poor quality sink top for a new poor quality sink top they have instead re-cut the hole larger to remove the cracked part and fitted a larger diameter plug and also plastic welded the area around the rim of it so it's not a weak point anymore.

Should be better than standard and hopefully be fit for purpose now. Can't be any worse.

Anyway a nice tidy job done and unexpected to be done that fast as I was only aiming for the heater to be fixed been the big ticket item.

Once again the dealers have been awesome. Can't praise them enough.

David Fullers near Nottingham for reference.

IMG_5574.JPG

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
To finish off this thread

While back at the dealers for the Heater sorting I mentioned the sink issues (had spoke on the phone previously about this)

I showed what I had done as a temporary fix to get by and asked if they could sort talking to Swift about a replacement sink top.

When collecting the van (heater sorted) they told me that instead of swapping a poor quality sink top for a new poor quality sink top they have instead re-cut the hole larger to remove the cracked part and fitted a larger diameter plug and also plastic welded the area around the rim of it so it's not a weak point anymore.

Should be better than standard and hopefully be fit for purpose now. Can't be any worse.

Anyway a nice tidy job done and unexpected to be done that fast as I was only aiming for the heater to be fixed been the big ticket item.

Once again the dealers have been awesome. Can't praise them enough.

David Fullers near Nottingham for reference.

View attachment 163240

I think that's a great approach from the dealer. Top marks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back