WTF! That's not fit for purpose! (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Just putting the plug back in the sink after pouring cheap coke down it in a bid to fix the smelly grey tank issues and it cracked pretty much all the way round!

I was applying absolute minimal pressure to it and it's only the 2nd time I have ever used the plug.

Needless to say I'll be phoneing Swift to say WTF! As that is 100% not fit for purpose on such a new van!

IMG_5385.JPG

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You say "such a new van" but don't say how old?

Easy repair if it's at your cost, but otherwise warranty job.

Martin

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005

Martin
I'm interested in how you would carry out your easy repair since I have returned from Peterborough with the same problem. I was going to strengthen the underside with fiberglass.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm interested in how you would carry out your easy repair since I have returned from Peterborough with the same problem. I was going to strengthen the underside with fiberglass.

If you can get to the underside that is great and you will find that Epoxy resin takes a hold better than Polyester.

I repaired the shower tray plug hole in our caravan years ago, there was no access underneath so I made a white plastic washer with a chamfer around the outside that allowed it to sit just into the recess of the plug hole but resting on the radius of the plastic, fill the back of the washer with Sikaflex/silicone and put it back together.

You should find that the drain now fits flush or just recessed to the main area of the sink, higher would not be good.

Martin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There have been a few members who have posted about failures in sinks. One saying his was destroyed by mouthwash. (Scotjimland ) if my memory serves me correctly. We have been careful with our's and avoid using aggressive liquids or a good rinse with clean water after use. and have managed 6 years out of it so far. It does not look health though and I expect a failure like above in the next couple of years. You would think they would be a lot more robust but that's the motorhome industry for you I guess.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016

Martin
Sorry

It's August 2015 and 6 months old to us.

I was stunned it broke by putting the plug in!

Spoke to the dealers and they are not a Swift warranty repairer but said if I get no joy with Swift they will cover it on the warranty from them.

Phoned another dealers near me that are an authorised repairer and they want me to pay for an hours diagnostic and report to send to Swift before. All well and good but that's at my cost. I pointed out a picture from me and the words it's crap should be all that's required rather then opening my wallet as usual but they declined

Spoke to Swift and they said all info has to come from the dealers and they won't deal with me at all.

So I either pay for a diagnostic :cautious:

Go back to where I bought it which means 100mile round trip and best part of a day maybe 2 if they need to see it before ordering parts.

Or try and fix it myself which I decided to have a go at

image.jpg

First layer of rubber solution on. Going to do the same to the underside once dry with something a bit stronger then rebuild and see how it goes.

Worst case can't be that dear for just a sink top. Only a few sqrews and cutting the sealant to remove.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry

I was stunned it broke by putting the plug in!

Spoke to the dealers and they are not a Swift warranty repairer but said if I get no joy with Swift they will cover it on the warranty from them.

Phoned another dealers near me that are an authorised repairer and they want me to pay for an hours diagnostic and report to send to Swift before. All well and good but that's at my cost. I pointed out a picture from me and the words it's crap should be all that's required rather then opening my wallet as usual but they declined

Spoke to Swift and they said all info has to come from the dealers and they won't deal with me at all.

Go back to where I bought it which means 100mile round trip and best part of a day maybe 2 if they need to see it before ordering parts.

View attachment 159734

First layer of rubber solution on. Going to do the same to the underside once dry with something a bit stronger then rebuild and see how it goes.

Worst case can't be that dear for just a sink top. Only a few sqrews and cutting the sealant to remove.
I like your attitude, with a bit or work it will be "better than new" yes I know not that difficult.

Martin

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
E
Pay for diagnostic Like **** I think I would give them a bit of my own diagnosis !!!

Exactly! I'd agree if it was not under warranty and was something tricky (i.e. cant just see it and say yup that's crap)

It's annoying because if my car breaks down or has a fault I can go to any authorised Mercedes dealer and they will diagnose it and fix it for free. Why should that not be the same standard for Motorhome dealers!

Hell if my Fridge breaks I can get that diagnosed and fixed for free been 6 months old.

Feel a bit let down by the quality of that part before I even mention the hassle to get "Customer Service" on it.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
So if you pay for the diagnosis I take it that money will be refunded when they see it has clearly fell to pieces and that should take all of two minuets.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So if you pay for the diagnosis I take it that money will be refunded when they see it has clearly fell to pieces and that should take all of two minuets.

Unfortunately not. I was told that's the cost and I pay it. Any repair is then covered by Swift.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Just putting the plug back in the sink after pouring cheap coke down it in a bid to fix the smelly grey tank issues and it cracked pretty much all the way round!

I was applying absolute minimal pressure to it and it's only the 2nd time I have ever used the plug.

Needless to say I'll be phoneing Swift to say WTF! As that is 100% not fit for purpose on such a new van!

View attachment 159713

Hi. I had a similar problem. I had mine repaired at lodge farm leisure Nottingham. Great job. I took my sink out myself then took it to them.www.lodgefarmleisure.com.Hope this helps

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately not. I was told that's the cost and I pay it. Any repair is then covered by Swift.
Who is the warranty with? If it's Swift's own then they should allow you to have it repaired at any Approved Workshop Scheme repairers (AWS) as they are supporters of the scheme, therefore no need to go back to your original dealer. Have a look on the AWS website for info on who's a member in your area and can do work on Swifts. Failing that if you need a new sink try contacting O'Leary's as they often get new 'old/obsolete' parts from Swift etc.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's annoying because if my car breaks down or has a fault I can go to any authorised Mercedes dealer and they will diagnose it and fix it for free. Why should that not be the same standard for Motorhome dealers!
It is with some manufacturers German vans come with a pan European warranty. Brought my last 3 vans in Belgium if I have any problems I take it to my local dealer. Years ago I had a Hobby carvan bought in Germany took it to the UK agent for warranty work.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I can imagine the reply you'd get from Swift.

So you put a caustic substance in the sink and then the sink cracked, the coke can be seen in the picture .......think that would be their way of getting out of it.

You'd think that they'd leap at the chance of some good publicity, help them with sales etc, but in the motorhome world we're actually treated as second class citizens and utter mugs!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There have been a few members who have posted about failures in sinks. One saying his was destroyed by mouthwash. (Scotjimland ) if my memory serves me correctly. We have been careful with our's and avoid using aggressive liquids or a good rinse with clean water after use. and have managed 6 years out of it so far. It does not look health though and I expect a failure like above in the next couple of years. You would think they would be a lot more robust but that's the motorhome industry for you I guess.

I thought that was @swanseajack13 the mouthwash one ?

Sorry

View attachment 159734

All guarantee's under EU rules are 2 years. There can be no charge to you whilst in that period. First 6 months new for old,following 18 months repair or replace. Return it to a swift dealer.
Tell them you want it sorted or small claims court.

No you don't , as above. Or pay it get a repair/replace started then issue proceedings for the "inspection" charge + time /hours spent/telephone calls /emails etc.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are only 2 proper long term fixesfor that failure

replace the sink

remove sink and repair/reinforce with fibreglass mat/tape and epoxy resin. then refit knowing it wont fail again any time soon

the injection molded sinks/basins are so thin that they are guaranteed to split at the weak points eventually

oops just thought of another good solution but more expensive. replace with a fibreglass copy made using the old sink as a mould

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
there are only 2 proper long term fixesfor that failure

replace the sink

remove sink and repair/reinforce with fibreglass mat/tape and epoxy resin. then refit knowing it wont fail again any time soon

the injection molded sinks/basins are so thin that they are guaranteed to split at the weak points eventually

oops just thought of another good solution but more expensive. replace with a fibreglass copy made using the old sink as a mould

Third option..
Replace the sink but before fitting the new one reinforce it with glass mat and resin !

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I'm amazed how flimsy that sink must be, I would imagine it was made by a company that supplies similar items to many other manufacturers, so, like most other common components in vans now ( blinds, windows fridges etc) poor quality items will turn up in all makes of vans.
Seems to me, a lot of newer vans seem to be quite fragile inside, possibly because makers are trying to keep them under the magic 3500kg.
On a good note, our 20 year old van has a sink that is good as new, so is everything else inside, maybe older vans are built with a bit more care and better materials.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With motorhomes like most things you get what you pay for, our first Hymer was an SL version that had a stainless steel sink, last one was an Exsis which was a cheaper model that had a plastic sink but never had any problems with it, lastest one has a ground glass resin sink.
But regardless of the model/price it should be fit for propose, a lot of the problems come down to the designers don't try or use their products. Aochol based suntan lotions do a good job of wrecking plastic wash basins, where do a lot of people put sun lotion on, yep in the washroom so why fit a plastic washbasin.
Some years ago I was at the Swift factory talking to the techinal director, he had been there a few years and he proudly announced "I going away in a caravan at the weeked for the first time" ! Makes you wonder how anything is suitable in them.
Just been loading up the new Hymer, the way the cupboards have been designed almost impossible to fit all the standard products you would keep in there in them! Designed to look pretty & appealing to look at but totally impractical.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back