wrong adaptor for elect hookup spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi guys,
my short adaptor (3 pin male to 2 pin female) obviously won't fit, what do I need to do, buy a cable here (Portugal now) with 2 X2 pin male or is there an adaptor 3 pin female 2 pin male to use my present cable
steph

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It might be easier, given you are in Portugal, to find a shop where you can buy the bits to make up a suitable adaptor. A simple option would be to replace the 3 pin male plug on your lead with a 2 pin version. Of course, if you can find somewhere selling 3 pin bits you will be able to find an adapter but this will need a caravan/motorhome place or perhaps a boat chandlers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Thanks guys, that's the item, now saves for my return and ill keep my eyes skinned here, perhaps one of those Chinese shops they seem to carry all sorts, thanks again.

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
in Spain youd get one at the local hardware shop, called Fereterias. not sure what theyre called in Portugal, but bound to be similar.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Although at some time in the past there was going to be a standard 'hook-up' plug throughout Europe, this has not happened. So it is fairly common to carry an adaptor cable. Many campsites will rent you one but it is better to buy your own.
It is not unusual in France, Spain and Portugal for the polarity to be incorrect, so when you buy the cable adaptor it is worthwhile buying a socket tester.
One tip for some Spanish hook-ups, if the polarity is wrong you can sometimes fit the two pin socket upside down to put this right.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Although at some time in the past there was going to be a standard 'hook-up' plug throughout Europe, this has not happened. So it is fairly common to carry an adaptor cable. Many campsites will rent you one but it is better to buy your own.
It is not unusual in France, Spain and Portugal for the polarity to be incorrect, so when you buy the cable adaptor it is worthwhile buying a socket tester.
One tip for some Spanish hook-ups, if the polarity is wrong you can sometimes fit the two pin socket upside down to put this right.

There is, in all of mainland Europe so far as I'm aware now: its called the Schuko plug.
Also of course the polarity isn't "wrong" or right on an ac circuit........(wink)

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is, in all of mainland Europe so far as I'm aware now: its called the Schuko plug.
Also of course the polarity isn't "wrong" or right on an ac circuit........(wink)
That was the plan, but the more rural campsites haven't changed over yet, and probably never will as long as their system works.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Agree with PJ there are still a few with the old type two pin plug. Mind you most continental motorhomers still have the old type leads and have to use an adaptor for the blue plug.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back