Wow tuning

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by jimiol, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jimiol

jimiol Funster

Advice please, I have used the search facility on this site, which is good but in some cases too good. I read 8 pages on re-mapping and it gave me some good insight especially re advising the insurance company. But to those of you that had the re map, does it give you extra power and extra MPG.
    I guess you can get differrent re maps. But again to those that have a standard wow re map has it given a 15 to 35% increase in power 8% + improved MPG?

Personally I have 2Ltr fiat turbo (no Intercooler, I think) 2005 and it is slow, not too worried about being slow but I am getting fed up of being over-taken by tractors on hills.

Thanks in advance

2. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

I have a 2.2 litre diesel Autocruise Starfire and I had a WoW remap last year at the Shepton Show - and I was impressed then and am even more impressed as time goes on!

Where I had to drop into 2nd gear to go up some hills, I can now nearly always cruise up in top - or drop to 4th gear at most!

Where I used to cruise at 60mph at about 2500rpm, I now frequently cruise at 60mph at around 2000rpm.

My (pre-WoW) miles per gallon reading was initially around 28 and is still around 28mpg - however I now regularly tow a 2 ton trailer loaded with Mo's Mobility Scooter and my Show exhibitors tent and stock etc., etc., etc.

I am personally well pleased and thoroughly recommend them. :thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I don't want to get into an argument about this Dick, but the law of physics say it just aint possible.

a set speed at set revs....60mph @ 2500rpm...a mechanical linkage cannot change, unless you found another higher gear, raised the overall gear ratio or fitted larger tyres.

tuning an engine will not make it rev less at the same speed.

• Like Like x 5
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

nice on pappa.
    i can say you are right . we used to put 1800cc gti engines into vw vans that originally had the flat four wsser boxer they revved to 4600 the gti revved to 5700. the top end was incredible up from 85- to well over the ton. got better brakes feel as well as the vacum to the servo was greater . people always think bigger engine makes you go faster but higher revs is what you need.
    once put a diesel in a v8 range rover . went ever where flat out at 45mph. screaming its guts out.

5. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I don't mean to prick your balloon but that isn't possible unless you somehow changed your gearbox or final drive ratio at the same time as the re map.

Sorry just read Pappajohn.....Griff

6. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Are you sure you are using the same gears....:Eeek:

WOW remap may change the power, but did they change your gear box too?

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

never mind dick ,we all get it wrong somedays .
    glad your ok . have fun. :RollEyes:

8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

There are lots of posts on here which praise the response and effects of WOW tuning (remap).

Just search and make your mind up....

9. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

One thing I will say is your clutch is designed to work with the amount of power you have I have read of the clutch slipping when under power on some vans after upgrades thats not a small fronted van for a 2 litre engine

10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I had my 2-0 done years ago when it was just too underpowered for the job. It made it go like a rocket but fuel was increased due to me driving it like I stole it... I had my current one one one last week my eighth vehicle I have had remapped, I have never had any issues with clutch or any other problem . Mine was done by wow :thumb:

11. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I had my 2005 2.0JTD remapped and it transformed the vehicle. Take all the claims about economy with a pinch of salt though, same as all the "burn the clutch out" stories. These vehicles are designed to be abused within an inch of their lives by builders. Insurance company simply noted it and no premium increase.

• Like Like x 1
  12. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Who's talking about using a gearbox - I am talking about free-wheeling downhill with a following wind! :Doh:

I am still getting used to a manual 'box' after 7 years of bliss with a 36ft RV doing all the work. :RollEyes:

Anyway, as much as I accept what you guys are saying - I still say that my engine is running quieter, smoother and 'apparently' at lower revs than it was before the remap. I am pretty sure that I am changing gear at lower revs to stay within the legal town speed limits - I can't say for certain because I usually change gear according to the engine note rather than the speedo reading. :thumb:

Dick