WOW passed MOT 1st time. First for this van.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gromett, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I was expecting a failure and a large bill for welding the underside. I was expecting a brake issue and of course something unexpected but No. It passed first time.

This is the first time in the 6 years I have had this van that it hasn't cost me close to £1,000 to get it through the MOT.

The list of advisories is the longest one I have had however so I have some work to get done but no panic to get the work done to get the MOT :)

Booked it in straight after the MOT to get new Glow Plugs installed. Lifted the bonnet and the van doesn't have glow plugs. Hmmm. Probably the injectors. We need to test that when it is cold though. So still a crap starter but saved me £105 :)

Good day overall.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

I've just got back from taking our car for it's MOT.
    It passed, and curiously, last year's advisories have been replaced with different ones

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Did they actually count the wheels? Is it the same one you had when we last met?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

My RV had the same advisory three years running.....
    "this vehicle is fitted with type approved seat belts"

Whats that all about then ?
    Certainly not something that needs addressing any time soon.

First mot in my ownership included.....

Slight play in N/S (steering) king pin.

Second mot

LPG tank securing strap loose

Neither of which were ever mentioned again

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

My RV failed it's MOT yesterday and passed it today :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. pappajohn

And ???

7. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Severe rusty corrosion has taken up the play.

Strap has now corroded its self to the tank.

Did they check for any corrosion?:roflmto:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

MOT's are not my favourite subject right now, inspected my car a couple of months ago, all the brakes looked iffy, so had new disk and pads all around. Took it for a service, the guy says, do you know that the inner tread of the front tyres are very low, no I reply, so off for new tyres and on the tracking rig (my tyres cost £175 each, so ouch) MOT due on the 16th, so I booked it in last week. Driving on the M3, SMACK! a brick falls off a lorry in front of me, so booked in for a new windscreen, and MOT cancelled. Autoglass duly replaced the screen. Go to start it the next morning, nothing! OBD diagnostic plugged in, the coil pack has failed, so new one fitted.
    Finally, take it off to MOT rapidly, making sure I don't drive behind lorries with bricks on board. Dropped off at MOT centre, get a call from the MOT centre, coil springs are broken on both front legs! Well that would explain the banging that I have asked Vauxhall to diagnose for the last 3 years! So I leave the car there and tell them to make it so :D
    Get a call the next day, "Sorry Mr. Ford, the shocks were so corroded, we had to drill out the bolts, so you now need new shocks as well!"
    On the plus side I do in fact now have an MOT for the car, the bank balance has taken quite a hit. The van is due in June, I am scared to inspect that just yet :D

9. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

My van failed, split gaitor 3 days ago passed yesterday.
    Not bad for 14 years old eh!!

10. scottie

scottie Funster

Had full service and mot on my 2008 citroen relay devon conversion two weeks ago. Asked that handbrake be sorted as part of service, wasn't holding well and would have failed efficiency test. Picked up van in afternoon, and had one mot fail showing defective handbrake, and non standard sealing petrol cap. Proper petrol cap was in glove compartment, which I informed mot station about. Handbrake sorted, proper petrol cap inserted. long story on why I was using emergency one. Couldent understand why handbrake not just fixed as I had requested, and proper cap installed. Why show a fail, then a pass. I still don't know what the full service included other than, oil change, air filter, oil filter and pollen filter, and screen wash top up. I only do about 3 thousand a year and will now only have full service every two years, but oil change yearly.

11. pappajohn

The mot HAS to be undertaken as presented.

If it had a rubber bung cap then it had a rubber bung cap.
    Nothing the tester could do but fail it.....he wasnt allowed to put the proper one on.

12. scottie

scottie Funster

Thanks Pappajohn, know for next time.

13. pappajohn

As far as the cap goes, I reckon most testers would put it on anyway...but would be in deep do-do if caught doing it.

I have had headlamp aim adjusted and washer bottle topped up during the mot.....but I knew the tester and he knows me.

Normally they would fail it then, before signing off the test, do minor repairs (bulbs, fluids etc) then pass the vehicle....but its still an official fail before a pass

VOSA present 'anonymous' cars (for want of another word) as a check on testers to ensure they follow the rules and follow procedures.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  14. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Yup, that has been my experience. However, the alternative is to take your vehicle to somewhere that does a pre-MOT check prior to taking it to a test centre. That way you don't get a fail-pass, but it does cost more!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The mechanic who does all our vehicles has my MH each time and he checks it over prior to the MOT which he has to take to another garage as his ramp can't take it. If its got any dud bulbs etc its down to him to fix first.

16. chaser

chaser Funster

Place that does mine always does test as it is, and if any small thing wrong, like wipers , bulbs etc, fails it then puts it right and issues a pass, get two tickets but doesn't cost any different.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

I now always use Council Run MoT centres. My Kia Sorento did fail on 1 x Track Rod and also 1 x Roll Bar Joint/Bush. On the way back I called into local Kia Dealers and got a quote to fix said items and was informed £320.00! I said no thanks.

Went and got parts from Eurocarparts cost about £30. Fitted by me and took about a couple of hours. Straight back for retest and no charge.

Awhile back I would have used this garage and I would have for convenience sake say to go ahead with repairs. Not any more, I saved nearly £300 which is no small amount.

The council run centres can only test and don't repair so you know you aren't getting conned.

Rob

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. movan

movan Funster Life Member

must be a female one

19. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

As professional Con Men we are permitted about an Hr after the original test to carry out minor repairs, the definition of "Minor" is subjective and can cover a multitude of repairs,
    To answer the question why fail and then pass, it is to try and keep Vosa's snapshot figures correct
    ie if we continually fix headlamp aims without a fail the two things happen
    1. We conned you out of an aim setting fee when no such failure existed according to the paper work.and that is a big earner for us
    2. Records would indicated that all vehicles in the UK have perfect headlamp aims 100% of the time
    ergo there would be no further need for testing
    Then who would we con;)

One day, the less educated folk out there will stop MoT knocking and realise that to put a 250k business at risk, to make £30 on un necessary work isn't exactly a financial success story, especially when I can make £50 an Hr for walking round round it with clean hands and a pen:yawn2:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

I used to to take my Sorento to Merityres for it's MoT and three times in succession it passed but they always adjusted my headlamps and charged a £5 for doing so - without informing me.
    I found it hard to believe they needed adjusting but why argue over a fiver. Just made me suspicious and now take it elsewhere.

Rob