LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just arrived home from Stratford (150miles) where we had the m/h engine re-mapped by WOW...............really pleased with the resulting improvement in fuel consumption. Before re-map was always getting 20-21mpg but got 25.9mpg on homeward journey - around 20% saving!!:yeah::yeah:......more cash for beer

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
well Im getting more pixxed by the day abut this.

I had mine done at Peterborough and although the van ran well, the MPG was at best worse and at worse the same as before.

The guy came out and redone it for me and all credit to him for that and it is now guess what, yep the same. :RollEyes:

I cruised to Stratford and Back at no more than 55 on 2.5k revs, the whole way and got 22mpg,, I have driven hard and got 22 mpg, I have driven slow and got 22mpg, I am begining to think I would get 22mpg if I sat in it with the bloody engine off :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

I had mine done at Peterborough and although the van ran well, the MPG was at best worse and at worse the same as before.

The guy came out and redone it for me and all credit to him for that and it is now guess what, yep the same. :RollEyes:

I cruised to Stratford and Back at no more than 55 on 2.5k revs, the whole way and got 22mpg,, I have driven hard and got 22 mpg, I have driven slow and got 22mpg, I am begining to think I would get 22mpg if I sat in it with the bloody engine off :Eeek:
might be programmed right but not connected right Paul :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
wOW REMAPPING

I cruised to Stratford and Back at no more than 55 on 2.5k revs, the whole way and got 22mpg,, I have driven hard and got 22 mpg, I have driven slow and got 22mpg, I am begining to think I would get 22mpg if I sat in it with the bloody engine off :Eeek:[/QUOTE]

Are you using the correct figures in your calculations ? It just dosen't make sense:wooo:

Had mine done and acceleration and fuel consumption is much better.

S

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Is there a downside to remapping the performance ?

It would seem to me if it was that benificial... then the manufacturer would do it ...and sell more vans as a result of of the greater performance.

So what if any is the downside ?

barry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
higher stress on engine components...crank shaft, main and big/small end bearings etc

maybe not significant but extra stress no the less

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

we had ours done and did not notice any inprovements in fuel econemy,we also had them remap it again and i thought it was no better so they did it again ,3rd time lucky ,pleased with it ,extra 3/4mpg and a lot more umph,
26/7mpg now on 2.8jtd best wast 29mpg

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Is there a downside to remapping the performance ?

It would seem to me if it was that benificial... then the manufacturer would do it ...and sell more vans as a result of of the greater performance.

So what if any is the downside ?

barry

I can't see ANY downside to the remapping on our engine. We had it done mainly for the fuel economy & so any extra power gain is a bonus.

If the engine is in good nick in the first place & is not driven to its limits then it is unlikely to put any extra strain on the components.

To quote Wow's blurb;

"Manufacturers sell vehicles all over the world & have to allow for differing conditions within each market. These conditions such as climate (hot, cold, dry, humid etc), altitudes, emissions regs and varying fuel octanes's etc. All this means they have to compromise the tuning state in order to ensure "one size fits all" "

Also when the base vehicle leaves the factory it may then be used for a multitude of purposes (ours happens to be motorhomes) each of which can benefit from adjusted tuning.

Anyway I'm certainly pleased with the result so far :Smile:......I will certainly post on here if it falls to pieces as apears to be the expectation of some!!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Can you tell if remapping has been done to an engine, if you have bought second hand ?
The reason i ask is that our motorhome is really efficient with the fuel ( high 20's) and has plenty of ooomph . We also had some really steep and curvy hills to climb in the lakes last week . She did them with ease.
We have had her for 17 months now and shes a 2006 Fiat.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I can't see ANY downside to the remapping on our engine. We had it done mainly for the fuel economy & so any extra power gain is a bonus.

If the engine is in good nick in the first place & is not driven to its limits then it is unlikely to put any extra strain on the components.

To quote Wow's blurb;

"Manufacturers sell vehicles all over the world & have to allow for differing conditions within each market. These conditions such as climate (hot, cold, dry, humid etc), altitudes, emissions regs and varying fuel octanes's etc. All this means they have to compromise the tuning state in order to ensure "one size fits all" "

Also when the base vehicle leaves the factory it may then be used for a multitude of purposes (ours happens to be motorhomes) each of which can benefit from adjusted tuning.

Anyway I'm certainly pleased with the result so far :Smile:......I will certainly post on here if it falls to pieces as apears to be the expectation of some!!

I was hoping that a non biased engineeer might come along with a more detailed explanation.........as I think the quoted blurb is just advertising copy..a bit like asking a vegetarian about the benefits of a vegetarian diet....they are going to justify it...and in this case are trying to sell it to make a living.

I would have it done to my engine if I could get a 10- 20% benefit in fuel consumpution...but Im not convinced...... and Im still not sure of the downsides.

Do commercial fleets of have it done ......?? If it were industry standard practice.that would be comforting.

barry

barry

barry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I can say up front that at least two local firms have had all their vans done..
Basically it may well be advertising blurb but it is also correct

The same engines are used in all manner of vehicles and the ECU's programmed to the job(s) in hand

I must be honest and say it always has amazed me that motorhome converters or indeed the firms ( such as Fiat etc ) who supply the base chassis do not 'map to suit'
I suppose it is a cost thing but to me, today, if someone said 'buy OUR motorhome as ours get better MPG than XYZ does, it might well divert my beer tokens to their product rather than others !

I reasonable saving would be 5 to 10% though I have known it to be less ( rare ) and considerably more ( as in fact 'Icantremember' has got :thumb: )

I should also say that I am one of those folk who tend to put custom maps on pretty much all my vehicles.... Some for more top end ( my bikes and the various Smarties I own(ed), and some as in the bigger vans and the motorhome for more torque and hence more economy

From memory we did 9000 miles the first year the map was on, and it saved us about £300 in fuel ( yes, I am one of those sad buggers that logs everything ! :Blush: )
With the price of fuel rising all the time so do my year on year savings...

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
There is also a thread Link Removed Barry.

I had a remap from Wow and I am very pleased with the results. They offer three products economy (green), power (red) or a hybrid (blue) of the two which is the one they generally put on motorhomes. I am very pleased with the results and improved driving experience (more torque where it matters meaning less changing through the box) and around 3-4 MPG improvement. The MPG saving could be subjective due to many factors (driving style, engine loosening), but for me it has been very worth while and I would opt for it again. Also no effect on my insurance.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
have tested our van twice, each time on a 2000 mile trip and got 23-24mpg
not remapped as far as I know. there is talk about chipping becoming an automatic MOT failure what does the team think. It would be nice to get an extra 10%

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There is also a thread Link Removed Barry.

I had a remap from Wow and I am very pleased with the results. They offer three products economy (green), power (red) or a hybrid (blue) of the two which is the one they generally put on motorhomes. I am very pleased with the results and improved driving experience (more torque where it matters meaning less changing through the box) and around 3-4 MPG improvement. The MPG saving could be subjective due to many factors (driving style, engine loosening), but for me it has been very worth while and I would opt for it again. Also no effect on my insurance.

I should have mentioned this in my original post ...... mine is the "Blue" version (hybrid)which made sense at the time........however as I was already happy with the power/performance of the engine, maybe I should have gone for the "Green" version for even better fuel economy.
The problem there would have been that the tank would keep overflowing I'd have so much excess fuel.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
have tested our van twice, each time on a 2000 mile trip and got 23-24mpg
not remapped as far as I know. there is talk about chipping becoming an automatic MOT failure what does the team think. It would be nice to get an extra 10%

I can't see how it could be a MoT failure as there are no visible signs that the work has been carried out, & in any case providing the emissions are still within limits & the mod does not make the vehicle dangerous with regard to braking and excess power etc.

Any real problem and it can always be returned to the original factory settings which wow keep on record.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I guess it would be possible to check.. Hook up a star box and compare the map with a standard one..

But

What standard one ?

Pretty much all modern engines and models use common parts and different maps

As an example

The BMW f650GS is actually the same engine as in the f800GS. It has a map on it to make it feel and behave like a 600 though ..

Given that car manufacturers are notorious for not sticking to the rules of ANY game, the MOT centres would have to have access to every map for every model .. plus a way to quickly compare the installed map to the various options made available by the car maker

Ok, this could be done using VIN numbers but what about all the cars imported from weird and wonderful places ?

If they ( the powers that be ) DID try to do this I see all manner or arguments and kerfuffles going on at test centres..

I guess another option would be for all test centres to have to install a rolling road ..

Either way the increase in time to do the MOT would increase very dramatically

So ( as a total guess ) an MOT would rise from £40 to about £70 - £80, and of course the knock on effect would be in many places an ongoing and constantly increasing backlog of folk waiting for an MOT..

I suspect, given all the options, it is one of those things that some pen pushing berk came up with, who has no concept of the real world or how it works .. Sounds great from behind a desk but not so good at the implementation end of the stick ! :Smile:

Wow

Trader - Engine ReMapping
Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi its Chris from Wow,

Thanks for the compliments on our product, we do our best!

To answer a couple of Questions/Comments:

Hagnap - i've got your email, we'll get you above 22mpg one way or another!! I'll be in touch

Pappajohn - there is no extra stress to engine caused by a remap, unless used to maximise 'ultimate' performance which is not really what motorhomers do! The proof is simple... all the 'vans we have ever remapped have now travelled in total over 17,000,000 miles, with zero failure.

Ralph-n-Bev - if you that happy with the performance, I expect it has been done!

Beachcaster - read into it what you want, advertising copy yes, but actually its the truth. A 1,000 motorhomers have a remap done by us every year and all but a very few are very happy. Fleets do get it done, the RAC do their vans, many police forces do and we've done loads of fleets, big and small.
If you buy a bright and shiny new Mercedes and think you want some more power, you can return to you Mercedes dealer for a Brabus upgrade... A remap.

Wildman - the talk of chipping becoming an automatic failure is incorrect, its a rule thats applied for some European countries for non approved modifications only, it would be impossible to apply in this country. The reason for this is that it takes a minimum of 20-30 minutes to read and analyse the tuning file within a vehicle to see if its modified or standard. The MOT would have to virtually double in cost, each MOT centre would have to invest many £1,000's in equipment and then employer a software geek to check each vehicle. The controlling factor will always be emmisions, my remapped 2.8JTD is cleaner than standard. A badly mapped car or van will smoke and fail.

As usual any debate on chipping or remapping will have people for and against; yes we make our living from doing it well so of course we will talk it up! Fact is though remapping is a tried and tested way to improve performance and driveability and for most, the added benefit of fuel savings. It's not an unproven dodgey latest gadget or bottle of snake oil.

There are plenty of decent remapping companies out there, not just us. If you're thinking of having it done, look at the company closely, their feedback, warranties, make sure they do a custom motorhome remap rather than just a van version, etc. If you choose wisely, you will undoubtedly be very happy - if not simply have it set back to standard, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Cheers,
Chris:thumb:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
works very well but WOW too expensive

Hubby did our van a month ago and it's great, faster and fuel consumption much better :Smile:

He didnt use WOW though, they were way to expensive :Eeek: He found a chap on the net and i think he paid about £120 ish but he has lost the paper-work and can't remember the name of the chap..honestly! :Eeek: So sorry can't pass that info on to you but I guess it's best to shop around a bit.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Many Funsters have had remaps done by WOW... Many are very happy.....
I want to have it done......

But what have you all paid?

I contacted WOW and was initially quoted £345.....

I then got the e-mail saying I could have it for £310...

Cos I live "oop North" when I called them they I should said contact their local guy, presumably it's a franchise.

He quoted even an more expensive price than I had been given on the e-mail offer.

They also say on their web site they have a price beater promise, but when I contacted them quoting a local reputed re-map company who had a promo on, I was then told it's down to the individual who does the re-map.

So we have discussed the performance, mpg etc....

But how much did you guys all pay.......?? What's the best price.....??:Eeek:

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Many Funsters have had remaps done by WOW... Many are very happy.....
I want to have it done......

But what have you all paid?

I contacted WOW and was initially quoted £345.....

I then got the e-mail saying I could have it for £310...

Cos I live "oop North" when I called them they I should said contact their local guy, presumably it's a franchise.

He quoted even an more expensive price than I had been given on the e-mail offer.

They also say on their web site they have a price beater promise, but when I contacted them quoting a local reputed re-map company who had a promo on, I was then told it's down to the individual who does the re-map.

So we have discussed the performance, mpg etc....

But how much did you guys all pay.......?? What's the best price.....??:Eeek:

Have it done at one of the m/h shows - it only takes around 40 mins & you will get the best price, we had ours done at Stratford for around £250..........we should recoup this amount fairly quickly with the improvement in fuel consumption of approx 4-6 mpg.::bigsmile:

Brian

WoW is a franchised business

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back