Would you tell? (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have just come back from our first weekend in our first MH. There was another MH on site and it just happened to be the model we first started to look at (Elddis Autoquest 115). These models appear to have an inherent flaw in that the wheel arch lip does not completely cover the timber frame of the side skirts. We looked at a few of these and they all had the same problem to a greater or lesser extent. Soggy wood in the skirts and the aluminium skin starting to corrode from the inside. I was going to tell the owner that he should make sure that this area was kept a watch on but decided that he would probably not like being told that there was something wrong with his pride and joy. On the one hand I wanted him to be aware of this (he may already have known of course) but then again I didn't want to upset him.

What would you have done?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Say:Smile: nothing. I had an Eldiss Autocirrus and I loved it. Then I heard a lot of so called problems with these vans. In all the time I had it I never had any of them.... it was my lovely, little van and I still miss it very much and often regret changing it to a so called more upmarket mh.

If he is happy with his van, then let him continue to be so. Knowing what MIGHT happen isn't going to change it.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our Autocirrus was a leaky pile of crap!!!!:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have an 07 avantgarde 150 and we have this problem well not really a problem but we have it , the ply behind the aluminium seems dry but the sheet is corroding , any ideas to stop it? It's not in the walls or anything just the foot or so that hangs down below and then the corrosion is only at the bottom, stuck some reflectors over the worst bit :Doh:but it really wants seeing to . Any suggestion ? Thought in the long run to take the sheet off and put plastic on instead.:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ahhhh, you should have spent more than £20 000!!!:roflmto:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We have an 07 avantgarde 150 and we have this problem well not really a problem but we have it , the ply behind the aluminium seems dry but the sheet is corroding , any ideas to stop it? It's not in the walls or anything just the foot or so that hangs down below and then the corrosion is only at the bottom, stuck some reflectors over the worst bit :Doh:but it really wants seeing to . Any suggestion ? Thought in the long run to take the sheet off and put plastic on instead.:thumb: quoted from Chaser

Bumping for Chaser...:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Chaser, as a get by method, get a coat of anti-corrosion chemical on the panel to stop it getting worse.
let it off completely then smear a nice coat of sikaflex all over it !!
It will stop further ingress for several years ....

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would tell. A problem shared is a problem on the way to being solved. I would hope someone would give me a heads up to any problems common to our MH, especially as we are only 1 yr old MHs so anything but experienced. A few words we might not want to hear could save us a fortune had we known and possibly could have rectified the fault straightaway.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Chaser,
From what we learned any aluminium corrosion occurs from the inside out if it is due to damp in the timber. it gives off acetic acid which attacks the aluminium. Covering over may not stop it. Of course if you can not detect any damp behind the skirt it may well be due to the paint surface becoming damaged (stone chip) and the corrosion really is only on the outside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back