Would you loan your motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Would you loan your motorhome?

• Never. Not to anyone.

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • To close relatives only

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • To relatives and very close friends

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • To anyone I know and trust

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Prompted by the suggestion in another thread - well, would you?

Without wishing to pre-judge the results of the poll, I'm guessing that most feel very possessive and protective about their MH, far more so than with other more trivial (and even not so trivial) possessions - any theories as to why?

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Very similar to boats and the protective feeling. We use our boat pretty much every weekend, but apart from that it sits on an expensive mooring all through the week, we wouldn't know if it was being used or not in truth if everything was put back as it was left, and if you got an income why not. The only issue seems to be all your personal stuff, if you rented it out that would all need packed away, so you couldn't just walk away and come back to how it was. I had an idea of a company that would take all your stuff off and after rental return it to the exact position whilst managing renting/chartering it for you, but I guess it would be a load of work.

With boating damage can be expensive, I would say the same for motorhomes e.g. hitting a low bridge or the like, so you have to ensure that you have insurance or cover in place to cover that or a couple of incidents could wipe out any profit.

In boating there is 'boat share' where similar people share a boat weekend about or if more than two in the group pro rata, the problem arises when the weather is nice and its not your turn, same could be said with motorhomes, you just can't get in it and go if you share it.

So in summary it sounds a good idea, sharing may be better than renting to any old body as you will now and hopefuly trust them, there needs to be an agreement re any costs that may come up, mechanical or habitation wise but it could well work.

Maybe there could be a Funster sharing scheme set up and managed independently for a small fee :thumb:

Have a look at this and in your mind change it to motorhome:

http://www.purelatitude.com/concept/

http://www.boatshare.co.uk/forsale/index.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Would you loan out your wife or husband? :Eeek:

If they came back in the same condition and you didn't know they were gone

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Trouble is I damage and break things enough myself far less anyone else doing so that doesn't know her.

Haganap well:Eeek:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Apart from anything else, sorting out insurance would be too much hassle.

But my insurance covers anything...................................:Eeek:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When we had our caravan we let friends borrow it. They where having a hard time and couldn’t afford to take the kids away so I said they could have the van, I even drove it to the lakes for them. I wrote down stuff like how to fill water and other stuff to make it easy for them I also told them I don’t mind if you break something in an accident as long as you tell me and get it fixed.

Well drove down and picked them up ground sheet for awning had hole in it due to mice, their daughter did mention they had left crumbs there for a few days but that didn’t bother me, got van home all looked nice and clean until I went to open salad drawer in fridge and noticed a small bit of plastic had been broken off and clued back on. I phone and got the wife and she couldn’t understand what was wrong as they had fixed it and she couldn’t understand how mad I was because they hadn’t told me. She hasn’t spoke tome in 5 years now so that’s the reason I would give it out. In saying that id give it to my Mum and Dad he would be careful with the driving but he would probably fill the water tank with deisel.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I'd lend mine to my Clone as she's the only person alive I trust with my life and belongings. Anyone else can kiss my:moon2:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
We were going to hire one last year, in fact had put down the deposit and booked it, when my sister-in-law offered to lend us hers. She wouldn't have it any other way. I was concerned that if we damaged it or broke something it could spoil our relationship and expressed these concerns to her. She said things could always be repaired or replaced so not to worry. We had a great time and have since bought our own.:thumb::thumb:

Would I lend it? my gut says no not a chance in hell, but why not? I can think of loads of reasons but at the end of the day (apart from it being the start of another one) it is only a possession and if you trust someone then even if they completely trash it it can always be replaced. So to very close friends who I trust and similarly relatives who I trust (so not my boy racer 20 year old nephew but possibly his sister) yes I probably would. :thumb:

Then I would spend the entire time worrying about it.:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back