Would you like to own a campsite?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by darklord, Nov 17, 2012.

1. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Driving back down the A1 today, I was doing my usual, spotting areas I fancy for a campsite. Sometimes when doing this, I see land that is very nice, or very practical, or has some other benefit, but I always end up shrugging my shoulders and muttering "maybe if i win the lottery".
    Today however, with a longer than usual drive, my mind went into overtime.
    OK, maybe I could,nt afford a campsite, but 100 people could !
    My thoughts then went in this direction. I have not done any "pricing" of land etc,and i know that land would only be worth having with the relevant planning permissions, BUT, if say 100 people invested £1000 (numbers are VERY flexible) and enough capital was raised, they could each buy a pitch that formed a campsite. Similar to static caravan owners, the pitches could then be let, when the owners did,nt use them as little or as much as they wanted.
    I did think that this may suit some of the people who spent the winter abroad particularly, but as long as the site was in a good position in the country, it could be usefull to many.
    There are probably a million reasons why this couldnt be done, but in an ideal world, a campsite owned by its members, used by them and others would be a sort of Nirvana.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 28
  2. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

We must be of a very similar mind. I to would like your idea but this is the UK and not very motorhome friendly. If you lived in France or Spain no problems but we have awkward planners and objectional campsite organisations who would not like competition.
    I see no reason why it wouldn't work but to set up would probably be a legal minefield as our sue culture would have a great time.
    If I see some land I will let you know but if you get this off the ground PM me. I think Scotland is slowly realising the worth of motorhomes so that could be a good starting point.
    Wilf

• Like Like x 5
  3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

99 funsters around you?:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

There are probably a million reasons why this couldnt be done, but in an ideal world, a campsite owned by its members, used by them and others would be a sort of Nirvana.

Isn't that what the CC and the C&CC do?

I do like the idea of a single site owned by it's members, though.

Pete:Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Sorry but it will never work. If you apply for planning permission and get it before making the purchase, then the price WILL rise or land become unavailable.
    If you buy the land and don't obtain planning permission, and I assure you it is one of the most difficalt things to get planning for the you have spent your cash and have a white elephant.
    If you buy land and get a motorhome club to licence it for 5 vans, you will Never in your lifetime get the cost of the land back whilst you own it.
    The best bet is for 5 mates to buy a piece of land and fit it out as a cl with one pitch each to do with as they wish. Remember you can only occupy the site for a max of 28 days mind you if you set up 2 sites then 10 people could fulltime by swapping sites once every 28 days, hee hee.
    Ah well why not just go to France where you don't need a site anyway.
    PS I have a site so do know what is required etc.

• Like Like x 5
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

8. darklord

I did think of existing sites, but there are a few problems with that. 1) many sites will be laden with debt and the price will be a "settlement figure" and bear no relation to worth. 2) if the site is succsessfull, it probably would,nt be advertised for sale, or be overpriced..some of the sites in your link have very little information with them, certainly not enough to purchse a business.people
    I see where wildman is coming from, BUT, planning decisions are regularly overturned if there is merit, local councils can sometimes just be a stubling block you have to go though to get to the govt. Dont forget, the govt is promoting holidaying in the UK, and supposedly supporting small businesses and endeavours.

The last place i would buy land, is Spain, they do not have a very good track record over there, and people have been know to lose their life savings.
    In the UK, we more or less understand the law, or how to get it interpreted, we sort of know a bit about planning consents (as per replies) and how to get help, so it would be more comfortable for people.
    I really would like peoples input o this, it may come to something, or it may just stop me dreaming, either way its a good thing:BigGrin:

9. ukbill

ukbill Funster

would the building of a new camp site be to expensive?, how many trades do we have on here ,if these people were owners then job done, build it yourself,it only becomes expensive when you have to pay the labour costs ,materials bought @ trade prices , but i would also say maybe more feasible abroad not in the uk ,if i was a investor ,no way would i invest in a site here ,
    remember its not always what you know most times its the people you know

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  10. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I agree with uk bill I work in the construction industry and drive all sorts of plant equipment ,the bulk of the infrastructure ie road in hard standings ,drainage services would be a relative doddle.The main thing would be location .

11. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Don't get started on the CC & C&CC or the site will be buzzing. They make the hair on my balding head stand up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Never mind. just noticed it was a lease so £18K a year extra :Doh:

14. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Just talked to my motorhome friend and the problem of buying land and obtaining ALL consents, services etc sorted.
    Once the land is found we just follow these instructions:
    1. Send in men with white vans and tarmac laying machines to make roads.
    2. More men in white vans to tap into neighbouring electric/water services.
    3. Now the easy part, just drive in, park up, plug into free mains and bingo
    we have our field and cannot be moved without years of expensive legal fighting by the
    landowner or councils.
    By the way if anyone ask's we are travellers.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Spooky that.. I was just about to post that if the travellers can build a camp site in a week I am sure others can !!

Put my name down for a grand.. i would be up for it as a punt

16. ukbill

ukbill Funster

mmmmmmmm i think i will repaint my van from white to maybe blue

17. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

I'm with Wilf but its a minefield:Smile:

18. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

The idea hs been voiced many many times a good few on here me thinks
    Put me down for one of the work free £1000 shares along with 95% of the others:Doh:

You are forming a 1000 strong committee it will not get of the ground,

was it not a committee that was asked to build a Horse and came up with a Camel:Rofl1:

Ps and I'm a positive thinker who's glass is always half full good help you with the pessimists you get on board:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  19. darklord

Nope, I'm forming nothing:Smile:, I too am a glass half full type, but i dont just notice that its half full, I MAKE it half full, big difference.
    At the moment, I am merely asking for advice and thoughts from motorhome owners, having done all three types of camping, I see MH owners as a wholly different kettle of fish.
    IF I got the bit between my teeth, I would seek advice from people on here with the relevant skills in the first place, and then outside help for the legal stuff. The one thing I would always be concious of, is that people would rightly be wary of a scheme involving money, suggested by someone they have never met , from Essex:Rofl1:, there are two people on here, who if anything ever got past the thinking and talking stage (and i doubt they will), would be invited to take the reins.
    Everything that ever happens, happens because someone wanted it to, and change is made by people, not accident, so at the moment, its still worth chatting about.:thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  20. ukbill

ukbill Funster

you never know what the future holds and i for 1 think so long as it wasn't in the uk it would be a good idea even if you doubled the outlay £1000 for land and same for the starting costs it could be done it would take forever to see any return on your cash but you would have a place forever yours to pitch on and a permanent place for the meets lol
    100 pitches at say £10 per night even if the profit was only half at £5 fully booked thats 500 quid is it now sounding better ??