Would you lend out your van?? (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
would you lend out your wife ?

same answer :winky:

I went to a wife swapping party once got a microwave for her I was well pleased :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As for the MH it would be a no unless it was for a night until they sorted out their insurance the next day, or as someone else said offer them your house and you sleep in the MH less likely to break anything in a house.

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Only ones who will look after your MH are you the owners.
How will you feel when they apologise for the'slight' damage to some part of it. It's a tough one for you, so the best of luck.
I lost contact with friends in the past when I would neither loan or hire any of my previous boats out but, guess they weren't real friends anyway! So no loss really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
A big NO,But would put them up until they sorted there insurance .If no insurance i would help them to hire a caravan .

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
My sons father in law slept in ours on the drive last Christmas Eve
on account of he snores

Had a door key but no ignition key
the only water was in the toilet
But he also had a mineral water size small

I did worry though
did he lock the door
did he spill anything
Was he a bit ill:Eeek:
Did he make a mess
Was he careful not to tread in something walking to the van

You know all the silly things that happen
Hate lending stuff it never comes back the same :thumb:

It was a weak moment in time

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
not only wouldn't, but couldn't. I built it as a two berth for us and we live in it, should never have the problem ::bigsmile:
As already mentioned I would take a serious look at your insurance

Rolo

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Leyland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10+
I thought about this for sometime (Nanosecond) and the answer is NO! :Angry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have experience repairing flood damage, and to be blunt it stinks. if your family plan to live in the van whilst cleaning their home and possessions, they will definitely bring the smell into your van. I would rather lend them a couple of grand to get somewhere till the insurance pays up. and that takes months too

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
NO, like others have said no one looks after your MH like you do, I am afraid I would feel guilty though, if I offered that is a different thing altogether, which I wouldn`t do, I would help as much as I could, but MH no way. especially as mine is on an agreed value with the insurance company.I am so careful myself.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
You're in Swindon and they're in Surrey - not exactly just down the road if there's a problem to sort out...

We all like to help our family but having considered proximity, potential insurance implications (yours), cost of going to & fro, unloading/loading, cleaning, suitability, depriving you of that for which you bought the van, future familial harmony and peace of mind - a large second-hand caravan sounds a good option, at least it could be scrapped when the job was complete

Could you not reconsider your 'offer'...?

:RollEyes:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
I'd just add my name to the no's for all the stated reasons. For someone not used to a Motorhome I wouldn't have thought that it would be the best alternative anyway, after spending a full day cleaning crap out of your house in the next few cold months I'd want a nice hot bath, a dishwasher and a large TV.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Jesus, cant believe the amount of people that said no, I wouldn't hesitate to offer mine. Short term till they can get themselves sorted insurance etc. Bit shocked :RollEyes:

in fact even if they wern't family I would consider it.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Jesus, cant believe the amount of people that said no, I wouldn't hesitate to offer mine. Short term till they can get themselves sorted insurance etc. Bit shocked :RollEyes:

in fact even if they wern't family I would consider it.

Not a difficult choice considering it says "Dont own one yet" on your profile :RollEyes:

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Not a difficult choice considering it says "Dont own one yet" on your profile :RollEyes:

Ha must remember to upgrade profile, proud owner of a 2003 M/H. bit sad that you pulled me up on that tho.
Dave:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It would be more fair for the whole family to chip in for temporary accomodation rather than just point the finger at you for an easy get out.
I'd help but not with my van, its not a shed or a tent but a very hard earned expensive item

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Our home is open to any family member or good friend in trouble
Our moho sadly is not
Last time we had a birthday bash at home friends stayed in house we kipped in van

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
if a family member was in need of my help,they would have no need to ask,i have and still do lend out my motorhome,i have no emotional attachment to it,its just a thing that sit's there empty when not in use,so its no hardship to me to lend it out when i dont need it:Smile:

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We had plans to use our pride and joy van over the new year on Pauls do.

After much family peer pressure, and a few fall outs, I have lent van to sister in law to live in whilst she and her family clean up after the family home was flooded over Xams in Fetcham, Surrey.

I have done this only after being battered by the rest of the in laws.

The van is my pride and joy, which I have worked bloody hard for over the years and I feel very possessive and protective over it. I don't think I was being unreasonable when I initially said No to the request. They have more money than I ever will have, and they could easily go out and buy a caravan to make do.

Would anybody else lend out their pride and joy, or was I being unreasonable?

NO!! Thats why they have house insurance!! :Doh:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If we loaned ours out it would be because we cared about and trusted the person concerned, not because they're an inlaw or because of pressure from other family. Smokers could swivel!

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
NO!! Thats why they have house insurance!! :Doh:
so you and others would leave family/friends to live in a flooded house rather than give them short term refuse until they could sores other accommodation ??? sorry thats sad:Sad:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
so you and others would leave family/friends to live in a flooded house rather than give them short term refuse until they could sores other accommodation ??? sorry thats sad:Sad:
YES
family are not necessarily friends and vica versa

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
why bother taking out insurance for these things and not using it!! He had plans for New Year!! It goes without saying that certain family members would warrant an instant offer to use the MH and the fact that he was almost forced into it shows they had not inspired faith in him that they would respect it!! Will they be forthcoming with the cash if they damage it?? I bet not!! I would not leave any member of my family homeless however I would not step in for some of them where there is an insurance policy that covers their needs!!And if they have insurance they are covered for accommodation from the first day so therefore no need to worry :winky:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
as I said, i wouldnt lend ours out due to various reasons but mainly the smell of flood and sewage getting into the fabric of the van

i would however not see family on the streets and would lend them the cash to get a suitable place whilst waiting the months for the insurance. I dont think thats sad as you put it, more realistic based on experience

would you honestly lend out an expensive motorhome for up to 9 months? and yes it can easily take that long or more if the insurance start arguing about costs which happens regularly. we only took on insurance jobs if guaranteed payment within 30 days so had to turn down quite a few. just one reason flood/fire damage repairs cost so much

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
The point I'm arguing is not how long you put them up for but would you help in a emergency. my answers yes I'd help out with my motorhome others is no, as for the smell of sewage etc that's all to be taken into consideration which is more than some would do.
Dave.

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The point I'm arguing is not how long you put them up for but would you help in a emergency. my answers yes I'd help out with my motorhome others is no, which was the question.
Dave.

A balance of the value of the relative in your eyes and the value of your motorhome
Only my kids and my mother come close and surpass the value of our pride and joy.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The point I'm arguing is not how long you put them up for but [HI]would you help in a emergency[/HI]. my answers yes I'd help out with my motorhome others is no, as for the smell of sewage etc that's all to be taken into consideration which is more than some would do.
Dave.
yes but for how long would you consider to be an emergency? its very hard to say no to a loved one, but would be even harder to ask for it back after a few weeks knowing no end was in sight with regard to getting them back in their home

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back