Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I would have thought that Funsters stood a good chance of a bargain at auction? After reading so many posts on here, one should have a reasonable idea if it's a 'Joseph'.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm obviously out numbered so I'll butt out.:xeek:
Brian & Jo

Brian - I know in your line of work in the company of others in the same trade this would run off your back like the proverbial water. However - when you think you're amongst mates - I wholeheartedly agree that it is a bit different. I was married for nearly 30 years to a bloke in the trade - and yes his premises were indeed always in back streets - just like you he was - and still is - as honest as the day is long (trade-wise) and he hated and loathed the 'cut & shut' merchants and would never actually have anything to do with them, though if they happened to meet at eg Prees Heath or Oldbury latterly, in a motor factors etc - nobody would have ever guessed he hated their guts, because he always made absolutely certain he stayed on the right side of them for obvious reasons.

The trick of your and his end of the trade was to attend auctions whether he wanted anything or not, 'browse' as if he was interested in various vehicles, ask questions, keep his eyes and ears open and form his own conclusions about the dealers and 'wheelers' there - whilst knowing his subject literally down to the last nut and bolt.

If you can do all that in respect of motorhomes or caravans - then absolutely fine - do it. If you aren't confident that you can - then stay away!!

BCA do not cheat - they wouldn't still be in business if they did after how long - 50 years to my knowledge! (May not have been actually called British Car Auctions all that while) But - they do accept vehicles off anybody unless they've been told not to by Plod.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I know I'm going slightly off topic on this thread and I apologise for that but having been in the motor industry for 40yrs I feel passionately about supporting local and uk businesses in the same field,including the Motorhome industry,and some of Eddies harping on about buying things from Europe and patronising people who support the uk dealers does begin to grate ,joke or not.i for one would be gutted if everyone was buying their tyres from Europe and not supporting us as a local company.Sorry
Brian & Jo

Last edited:

Deleted User
I think that providing you are not paying "horrific money" and have a decent knowledge (mechanical and habitation issues) then you are safe to buy at auction. (Providing you set your financial limit and stick to it)

Ultimately if you buy a lemon, then you can simply put it back into another auction and cut your losses.

If your the type of person that only feels confident in a franchised dealer, then the "stress" of an auction will be simply too much hassle.

Horses for courses

Deleted User
I know I'm going slightly off topic on this thread and I apologise for that but having been in the motor industry for 40yrs I feel passionately about supporting local and uk businesses in the same field,including the Motorhome industry,and some of Eddies harping on about buying things from Europe and patronising people who support the uk dealers does begin to grate ,joke or not.i for one would be gutted if everyone was buying their tyres for Europe and not supporting us as a local company.Sorry
Brian & Jo

I don't think Eddie "patronises" people, he actually makes some good points regarding "rip off Britain".

Maybe if the "local" companies offered the same deals as European companies he wouldn't have an argument.

I've supported UK dealers on my 2 new van purchases, and if I was honest I would have to question why. The support from both has been poor, and the purchase price expensive.

I'm quite a practical bloke, and wouldn't hesitate to put problems right myself, but should I have to?

There are a number of UK "local" companies that offer brilliant service, there is no doubt about that. But there is also an element that are only interested in profit margins, if anyone can better the deals these people offer, then why not??

Eddie's points regarding Ebikes and continental vans being thousands of pounds cheaper over the channel are valid, with rubbish UK support what's the gamble?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I know I'm going slightly off topic on this thread and I apologise for that but having been in the motor industry for 40yrs I feel passionately about supporting local and uk businesses in the same field,including the Motorhome industry,and some of Eddies harping on about buying things from Europe and patronising people who support the uk dealers does begin to grate ,joke or not.i for one would be gutted if everyone was buying their tyres from Europe and not supporting us as a local company.Sorry
Brian & Jo

Fine if they charge the same price..

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
no problem with buying at auction or private for that matter you do your research know what price your willing to pay and stop at that and i agree with the judge Britain is over priced if i can source it cheaper else where i will what your saying is i should support you because your local regardless of price so i starve and you get fat i dont think so

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Brian & Jo

Brian like yourself I still shop in the UK and still feel proud of the stuff we build in the UK. Not everything is perfect but then not everything is perfect from overseas.
If we shop over the water none of the VAT goes into the UK system. Its my belief we need the coin to stay in the UK . If it doesn't how can we maintain things like the NHS. How many would complain if that valuable resource to all of us goes down or gets worse. OK my bit aint going to make that much odds but collectively just here on this forum it adds up.

Its the Judges prerogative to harp on about buying over the water. Its his opinion and he is entitled to it. If I dont agree I just ignore it cos I like the bloke .

We all have our ways of looking at things but it is a shame so many threads end up in arguments.. No other forum I go on has anywhere near the amount of arguments that happen here. Shame that...

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If we shop over the water none of the VAT goes into the UK system. Its my belief we need the coin to stay in the UK .
Good point and it could be said to be "playing the system" - not much different to what Amazon and Starbucks does with their tax bill either. Just shows we all do it if we can!!

BUT .... it does not apply in the case of new motorhomes (which is Eddie's main point) because the VAT is charged in the UK and you get a refund from the seller of the VAT paid abroad.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Good point and it could be said to be "playing the system" - not much different to what Amazon and Starbucks does with their tax bill either. Just shows we all do it if we can!!

BUT .... it does not apply in the case of new motorhomes (which is Eddie's main point) because the VAT is charged in the UK and you get a refund from the seller of the VAT paid abroad.
Also I am led to believe there is no vat on used vans, only when new which you lose as soon as you sign your cheque :xangry:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also I am led to believe there is no vat on used vans, only when new which you lose as soon as you sign your cheque :xangry:
That is a silly argument which keeps coming up, you put a vehicle up for sale for a price, never heard of anyone coming along and offering you the selling price less the original vat. If buying S/H from a dealer you only pay vat on difference between the dealer buy and selling price (simplified version bit more complicated in real life). When a dealer buys in a S/H van the price he gives you is based on the original price including vat he does not deduct it.When I sold my last van it was nearly six years old I sold it for 23% less than what I paid for it including vat.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
With regards to buying in the UK or overseas we would choose UK & ideally local every time to support our home economy if we are getting a fair deal but as Judgemental points out that really isn't the case with buying most new motorhomes! We appreciate the information he shares as it is based on experience - think that quite a few Funsters have used his advice & saved themselves a great deal of money :xThumb: Think that we are all biased in our own ways according to the lives that we have led :imoutahere::xgrin:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
. No other forum I go on has anywhere near the amount of arguments that happen here. Shame that...
:xeek::xsurprised: Quite pleasant here compared to places I normally go.:xlaugh:

When I sold my last van it was nearly six years old I sold it for 23% less than what I paid for it including vat.
My mate sold earlier in the year after 6 years of owning & had purchased it 2nd hand at 2 years old. got £5250 more than he paid .:xsurprised:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back