would like to do a blog for our travels - but how to start? (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What no one has mentioned yet, is the ability to get online when abroad.

Rita and I have been MH'ing outside the UK since 2005, and apart from finding the odd freebie WiFi signal from a hotel, we never manage to get online. This is the first year we have had our own internet connection via an unlocked MiFi and a 3 sim card. We've only been away 18 days, and already I have used up almost 2Gb of my 12 month/12Gb allowance, mostly by uploading (resized) photos of our current trip on the "Morning Funsters" thread, as well as a bit of browsing. As well as data consuming, writing up a blog can also be time consuming..............unless you leave it all for a rainy day, when there is bu##er all else to do. ;)

Unless we get free or cheap WiFi when we enter Croatia, we might not be online for the next two to three weeks. :( It's not everyone that has (or needs) a smart phone on a contract, with fair usage internet included.

Regards,

Jock. :)
This may not apply in this case but anyone with an Android device should make sure it isn't set for automatic updates of apps and it also isn't auto backing up photos to the Google "cloud". Mine does but I will be switching these features off before we leave on Sunday. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
This may not apply in this case but anyone with an Android device should make sure it isn't set for automatic updates of apps and it also isn't auto backing up photos to the Google "cloud". Mine does but I will be switching these features off before we leave on Sunday. :)
Yes DBK, advice I was glad to receive just before I came away. In fact, I had to get @DABurleigh to check out my tablet for me at Peschiera, as I'm quite new to Android.

Cheers,

Reactions: DBK

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When I was in Spain I avoided doing a blog because I was worried I might bump into @ianthebuilder .

Joking:D

Edit - I like flirty "flamenco dancers"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
... make sure it isn't set for automatic updates of apps and it also isn't auto backing up photos to the Google "cloud" :)

You can set it so that it only does these things when its on Wifi. I leave mine that way permanently.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
You can set it so that it only does these things when its on Wifi. I leave mine that way permanently.
The trouble Lesley, is that when you are using a MiFi with a sim card, the device thinks it is on WiFi, and cannot differentiate between a metered data signal, and an unmetered signal :(

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
Ah :( I would never remember to keep switching it about (or remember how to change it)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back