Would a flashing red led be enough to put a robber off ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Following on from the 'gassing' threads where all robberies occurred at night I have been putting a bit of thought into security - OK it is a good idea to secure the doors better but could there be a way of stopping even an attempt at a break-in and the trauma and damage caused etc?

My last van had an alarm with an LED on the dash and I could have set it at night to 'protect' us at night, but I never did.

Because I had cab blinds the LED would not have been seen anyway so anyone passing would not know that there was an alarm or that it was 'armed'.

Would it make sense to fit one of these:

Broken Link Removed

The light flashes unless the ignition is switched on or for another £1 you can have it with a switch - the seller has sold loads

You could fit it to the dash if you don't have blinds - but what about fitting another somewhere else? - behind the radiator grille? - it would still be seen at night - any suggestions ?

Would it make a robber think twice and maybe move on to another victim ?

:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The Strikeback Growler has a number of external LEDs that flash when the Alarm is armed as well as one on the dash.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My van only has the habitation door so thats the only security issue. There is a motion sensor awning light over the door that comes on if anyone is within 20 ft of the van. Maybe this would be a better option than a flashing light. Am sure these thieves are clued up to false flashing lights, but dont like working in the light. I don't suppose it would be a big job to gear some form of camera up to the motion sensor if you wanted. Unfortunately my semi tame boffin is off to Germany next week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Same idea as fake burgler alarm casings people stick on their houses. Don't know if they work but probably a deterrent to some thieves. The clever thieves will wait until you are out and just smash a window, grab what they can and scarper. This could happen in a supermarket car park in broad daylight with people walking past.
Any deterrent will work to a greater or lesser extent but hiding valuable at the very least out of sight and ideally in a safe is also essential and cheaper. Checking the doors are secure and deadlocked also vital at night and when parked. Our MH has no tracker or alarm and I'm happy with it and I've been robbed on a campsite before although that was in a tent. Also been robbed in Jordan but I left a car window open then and I didn't think the 10 year old standing by the car I had just been talking to was a thief - he was. I think basic security precautions are more important than technology. A dog helps too!

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My van only has the habitation door so thats the only security issue. There is a motion sensor awning light over the door that comes on if anyone is within 20 ft of the van. Maybe this would be a better option than a flashing light. Am sure these thieves are clued up to false flashing lights, but dont like working in the light. I don't suppose it would be a big job to gear some form of camera up to the motion sensor if you wanted. Unfortunately my semi tame boffin is off to Germany next week.

Agree with the motion sensor but can't see how anyone could tell the difference between a 'real' LED and a false one (they are the same product) and some alarm stickers on the cab windows.

I question whether alarms are effective anyway - I've never had one go off 'in anger' on any vehicle and like most people ignore alarms (on vehicles or property) when they do go off - just thought the LEDS would persuade Mr T. Leaf to move on.

I just asked my insurer to quote for cover with and without an alarm - £19.50 less with an approved alarm ............................

:(

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The problem with an alarm with a flashing light is that the damage has been done before the alarm goes off. They would have to force the door before anything happened. A motion sensor light would in most cases stop them in there tracks.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Following on from the 'gassing' threads where all robberies occurred at night I have been putting a bit of thought into security - OK it is a good idea to secure the doors better but could there be a way of stopping even an attempt at a break-in and the trauma and damage caused etc?

My last van had an alarm with an LED on the dash and I could have set it at night to 'protect' us at night, but I never did.

Because I had cab blinds the LED would not have been seen anyway so anyone passing would not know that there was an alarm or that it was 'armed'.

Broken Link Removed

The light flashes unless the ignition is switched on or for another £1 you can have it with a switch - the seller has sold loads

You could fit it to the dash if you don't have blinds - but what about fitting another somewhere else? - behind the radiator grille? - it would still be seen at night - any suggestions ?

Why have an alarm system fitted and NOT use it. This is WHY MH owners get robbed. The WHOLE idea of having a system that protects you INSIDE your MH whilst arming the REST of the vehicle with a flashing LED or LED's is to WARN the robbing " barsteward" that he WILL get CAUGHT.......

PLEASE IF YOU HAVE PAID FOR AN ALARM SYSTEM - USE IT - OR LOOSE YOU BELONGINGS......

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Agree with the motion sensor but can't see how anyone could tell the difference between a 'real' LED and a false one (they are the same product)

No there not! Not with Van Bitz systems: Strikeback and Growler. Our daytime bright LED's are Nickle plated brass 100% waterproof. On Growler, where we have multiple external LED's we use a LED booster that is manufactured in the UK to my own design.

I question whether alarms are effective anyway - I've never had one go off 'in anger' on any vehicle and like most people ignore alarms (on vehicles or property)

Your wrong. People do take notice of alarms, including thieves, who have normally scarpered
by the time that members of the general public, realises what is happening

I just asked my insurer to quote for cover with and without an alarm - £19.50 less with an approved alarm ............................

This of course all depends on the value of your motorhome. With Caravan Guard for example giving 20% discount for a Van Bitz alarm, a higher premium can help pay for a system. Also with higher value vehicles, it is impossible to get cover without alarms, trackers or in some cases both.

Vehicle crime has been dropping, fact, for several years, because of increased security, better immobilisers and better locks. So despite what some think, the advice from the experts is to enhance your security to reduce your potential risks

Eddie

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Broken Link Removed

.................... or this on the roof?

Broken Link Removed

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I also have PIR awning lights on either side so anyone approaching at night will light up.
I have a full alarm system and when sleeping where it looks a bit dodgy I arm it without the internal sensors.
We also have personal alarms by the bed.

He'll, I'm getting scared just talking about it :eek:;)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have two of these, one above the cab door and one above the habitation door, they are very bright and so far have worked fine for the last 12 months. They can be set to come on for various lengths of time but I find ten seconds is enough. They have a small sticky metal disc which goes on the camper and the light fixes to this with a magnetic back. Very easy to put up and take down. Just remember to emote before driving away. (Although i have forgotten once or twice and was amazed they didn't fall off.

They might just go some way towards putting off a potential thief.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
It is amazing that people will spend so much on a motorhome and then try to save money getting a dummy alarm. A good alarm is peace of mind. I know it's not cheap but at least we can sleep at night. I can also see our LEDs in bright sunlight when the alarm in on:smiley:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/uk/products/Towing/Towing+Essentials/Caravan+Lighting/RC7800

These work very well. When you install them ensure that you put a two way switch in. One pole to turn the awning ON & OFF normally (so you can use it as a conventional awning light without waving your hands around to turning back on half way through your dinner) and the second pole to turn it off when driving or they tend to turn on driving down the road when you go past people / vehicles (or use two switches)

Eddie

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Boss at one place l worked said with my temper l don't need any alarms l am like a pitbull....

The comment was made after the locum vet woke me to say she thought the thieves were back to try rob the surgery, we were staying in the bungalow behind and she had heard noises a few times the past couple of weeks. I have a bit of a temper and stormed outside while ringing the police and having the control telling me no no don't confront them we will send help l ignored them...

I hurtled round the corner and confronted the "thief" snarling like a pitbull (according to the vet) He stopped his van and said he had permission to be there... yea sure l relayed info to police control the vet stayed well back. Then he said he was the body man...oh bloody hell! l relayed this to control at which point they went into meltdown ... l forgot they were not veterinary :wub:

The gent opens the back of the van to prove it and there are the bodies l reply "It is ok l have seen the bodies" Almost a scream from police control with help on the way stand by... I realise OPPPPS non veterinary.. sorry body man is one who collects the dead animals, often in the night when no clients around they are key holders :rofl:

Despite the vet telling the bosses about the attempted breakin's no one connected the sounds with the body man who does early rounds. At least it all ended well and the body man said no one has ever been as nuts as me just snarling in but l really get annoyed esp. when l am woken up.

However l do rely on Eddies Vanbitz Strikeback to wake me up in CB if it ever comes to that and l will deal with things as they happen.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Would a flashing red led be enough to put a robber off ?

A flashing blue light is better.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I had a false LED for a while and have to say that it worked wonderfully. During the period before the battery ran out, nobody stole my MoHo; what a result for a few quid! I’ve saved a small fortune on alarms.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
My alarm red flashing light was on the dashboard and could not be seen when the blinds were across.

I bought two "flashing bulbs"( very cheap) from E-bay took out the alarm flashing light and wired the two red flashing bulbs via a toggle switch to:-
One was fitted into the front headlight cluster, drill the hole very carefully and push the bulb in, I did the same to the rear light cluster. In the night they show up really brilliant via the silver reflecters in the clusters.

Lets put it this way if someone is going to rob house, which one he pick? the one with light flashing that looks like an alarm on or next door without one.

Dead is to wire up.

colyboy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back