Worthless European Breakdown Recovery (1 Viewer)

fugley

Free Member
Jun 5, 2013
Horsham
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A cautionary tale for anyone motoring in Europe:

A couple of months ago I took out a single trip European Breakdown cover which was provided by Green Flag and underwritten by Aegeas Insurance company. (The vehicle was a 3500kgs car transporter but it is a cautionary tale for anyone using these people!)

The policy document specifically stated that:
The vehicle covered must not exceed 8m in length
The vehicle must not exceed 3500kgs
The vehicle can be hired provided that the vehicle is abroad with the hirer's permission

The vehicle broke down and this is where the "fun" started with Green flag and latterly the insurance company trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities:

Green flag stated that the vehicle was too long i.e. over 7m they recanted when the max 8m condition was pointed out.
Then
The vehicle was not covered because it was hired again they recanted when the hire vehicle paragraph was pointed out to them
Then
They said that the vehicle was not covered because it wass bein used for "hire and reward" i.e. the driver was being paid to undertake work on bahalf of a third party. When we pointed out that the vehicle wasbeing used to pick up a car we had bought in France tfor our own restoration project not for re-sale the response was that:because the car was probably bought cheaper in France this would mean that on paper a profit woul be made.
Then
they said this was not the type of vehicle envisaged to be covered by the policy (the truck loaded is well with the specification of the policy parameters).
Then
Green Flag agreed to repatriate driver and passenger and have nothing to do with the vehicle.
Then
Green Flag refused to speak to us again at all about the issues. Much the same was the response of the insurance company.

We had the truck repatriated at our own expense (£2800). Finally,in the face of a threatened complaint to the FSA the insurance company out of the goodness of their heart made an ex-gratia payment to cover the repatriation costs.

The reason for making public this tale of woe is that this policy is STILL being sold. There is no way of knowing whether Green Flag will arbitrarily decide to walk away from you when you are broken down in Europe.

One final word about European recovery cover:

If your vehicle cannot be repaired immediately or the cost is extreme under most breakdown covers the breakdown company can, in effect write off your vehicle. If the vehicle is worth less than the recovery costs and they can pay you that money instead of recovering/ repatriating your vehicle.

The recovery costs in Europe can be very high. Our vehicle was around 500 miles from Calais and cost us £2800 to repatriate. Imagine the costs if yo are a long way into Europe, even a fairly recent vehicle could be deemed to be "not worth repatriating".

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Fugley, Although I sympathise with your tale of woe I get the impression you have joined this forum purely to vent your anger over this matter which is not what MHF is all about.

If you were seriously in the market for a m/home or the tale was m/home based then a different matter.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sounds like a job for a man with a landrover and an "A" frame assuming a vehicle is towable. There are several members on here who would quote for retrieval on that basis.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Fugley, Although I sympathise with your tale of woe I get the impression you have joined this forum purely to vent your anger over this matter which is not what MHF is all about.

If you were seriously in the market for a m/home or the tale was m/home based then a different matter.

Maybe a bit harsh --You could be right but all the same a tale worthy of knowing about ::bigsmile: and I for one appreciate the story and knowledge gained from it :thumb:
Terry

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
even if he is here to rant the issue is a important 1 and worth telling so leave him to rant he is doing no harm informing us of these issues

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
If you are unfortunate to breakdown on a Motorway there will be further charges,maybe :
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back