Worried (1 Viewer)

I

Ivor from york

Deleted User
I bought a Sundance 630L in May 2012 from Lowdhams. We have had 28 problems so far, including the fridge stopped working, was replaced, replacement has been repaired twice! Window leaking, water gushing in all over sleeping area. We have spent a fortune in fuel taking it for repair not to mention the mileage clocked up and cost of returning home from holidays when it has been unusable. We have written to Lowdhams on numerous occations, three times rejecting the motor, each time it has fallen on deaf ears:Angry:. Four engine management issues, the last one took two weeks to resolve. 2,300 miles on the clock of which, about 1,000 spent driving back to Lowdhams. Add to this, leaking fresh water tank, leaking waste water tank and as yet, not one succcessful holiday outing! We have yet to have a holiday where we have not returned early due to problems, we normally go to France, not a chance in this. One of the problems was the battery leaked a toxic gas into the van, thankfully we were not in the motorhome at the time, but from the seconds I went in to investigate the problem it made me feel very ill. Now I am sat here worried sick:cry: my daughter is sleeping in the motorhome with her friends, I will not sleep worrying about her safety, the battery is under the back seat, where the bed is. Lowdhams have assured us the battery will not leak into the motohome again, but how can I trust them. Swift gave us an offer of a ÂŁ250 service as compensation, I told them that would not even cover the cost of the fuel for repairs let alone the abandoned holidays.Where do I go from here? A vehicle made in Britain - what an advert for buy foreign - it pays!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That really sucks. There are a couple of legal experts on here who can probably give you some general advice but that sounds like definite grounds for rejection to me....

I wish you the best of luck on getting this resolved quickly.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry to hear of your problems.

First of all a rejection letter will always be ignored.

If you reject you need to physically reject and dump the vehicle and keys back with the dealer..

Before you do that I would suggest the following:

1. check all of your insurance policies to see if you have legal protection insurance. This is often tagged on to motor policies , household insurance policies and sometimes even a mortgage. If you get into a battle about whether you were entitled to reject it can be very expensive. Legal expenses insurance means that ( subject to the merits of your claim) the insurers will appoint a lawyer to act on your behalf. The mere appointment of insurance backed solicitors will make the dealer sit up because they will know you have the financial backing to take it further.

2. you need an independent report on the van. It may. have more problems than you know about. I suggest you take no steps in this direction until you have taken step 1.

3. if you funded any part of the purchase by credit card it may afford you some protection so dig that information out.

4. Make a detailed note now of all the problems, make notes of telephone conversations and dates of those calls, detail all the mileage involved and petrol expenses. You may forget things later. Ask any witnesses ( friends or family) to do the same.

5. Take photographs and video footage of the defects.

6. Act quickly.

Good luck:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The owner/director of Lowdhams. is Roger Craft, a diecrtor of National Caravan Council http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/

http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/the_ncc/aboutNCC.aspx

Our Vision statement:

“To be the most effective business partner for each of our members.”

Our Mission statement:

“That the NCC is the recognised and respected authoritative trade body for the UK caravan industry providing leadership through a centre of expertise offering support, products and services to members for the successful evolution of their businesses.”

Try Roger.craft@lowdhams.com

:thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
OR

PARK IT ACROSS THEIR ENTRANCE
WITH A FULL LIST OF FAULTS CLEARLY DISPLAYED ON THE SIDE
AND CALL THE LOCAL NEWSPAPERS OR T.V.
TAKE PHOTOS and UPLOAD to You TUBE (or Threaten to).
amazing how dealers will react to unsolvable problems sometimes.

Teddy the Revolutionary:Smile::Smile:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Sorry to read about your nightmare, I have been there so understand how you feel.
I had a good laugh at the so called caravan council's new objective regarding service etc for motorhome buyers. They are great at words and better at having meetings but totally useless at implimenting the rules. I assume the NCC is just like all the other bodies set up to protect us punters, the members pay there fees, get a certificate and bingo that's it. I have NEVER heard of a customer having problems with a dealer who was helped by the NCC, anyone know of ONE.
I purchased a motorhome from Lowdams when they first started selling them and the service was top notch. As they have grown and benefitted from decent profits there after sales appears to have gone down the pan. No surprise at that as they join the MASSIVE band of dealers who are nothing but cowboys.
After 11 motorhomes I am now totally anti-dealer and intend to have a purchased van converted, properly by a local craftsman. The crap we are expected to buy is now out of hand and the warranty is a total joke. In a few years the British motorhome manufacturers will be crying that imports are taking over again. My answer is if you cannot build a decent vehicle and give an honest warrant, pack in and don't moan because of decreased sales, you deserve it.
God I feel better now, sorry about the moan but bad aftersales really get's to me.
Show them how it's done John Cross!!! (peter)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
It's no beter here.

We have good and bad dealers.

But the legal side is stronger for the customer here maybe.

This is when you should make use of European law.
I dont care if you want the laws or not use them for your own protection.

But I whould also pay your ÂŁ10:00 say you can ask for help on here as mutch as you like.

Not all dealers are crap and it is possible the top Managers dont know you have a major problem.

So first contact the CEO.
Stay calm and dont get angry.

All this is IMO

Mel

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Iv been there when I got one from brown hill but in the end they paid to have all the work done by a firm close to me

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ivor and welcome: thumb: Although yours sounds a bad problem it unfortunately sounds about right for new vans :Sad: Are all your 28 different probs or are you talking 4 probs with ECU which to be fair is really the base manufactures not really the converters. The fridge has been replaced and repaired twice, again that comes down to fridge makers but I suspect it is down to Swift not installing it right hence needing repairs. Does that take your total down to 21 or still at 26 :winky: Window leaking comes down to Swift and bad installation as does your battery/gases---BTW you can easy check this by looking at the battery to see if it has a venting tube from top-ish going down and through the floor :thumb: If it has now got one that’s one less problem :thumb: Leaking tanks again convertors (Swift)You don't mention the other faults.: Smile:
If you want to reject the van going through legal channels is a long winded nightmare: Eeek:(Chris/ Treacle is a lawyer :winky: and Dave / Shiftzz is a semi professional ferret/moaner ::bigsmile: Where he finds stuff /info from beats me:winky:) We have a couple of members who have managed to reject there vans but as I said very long winded (above a year)
I also know of one instance that took Teddybard's way with pretty instant results:thumb:The guy took it further than just parking outside the dealers with big signs, and also parked up at shows, Swifts headquarters and even was going to follow Swift to a show in Germany that Swift were keen to try and break into the German market. The guy parked up on the road outside the dealer who sent the police who basically asked him to move but when he said no they went away saying it was a civil matter and provided he stayed legally parked there was nothing they could/would do :thumb: After that the dealer sent a couple of heavies to threaten him :Eeek: but he simply video it on his phone and they too went away ::bigsmile:
This eventually got to Swift because the dealer refused to deal with him, hence the agro moved to Swift :whatthe:Cut a long story short Swift agreed to swop his van which proved not much better(with gagging order) and he then got shut of the Swift and we never heard of him again :winky:or at least not under his now infamous name :winky:
terry
edit Pay your tenner to become a full member,then you can post/ ask as many questions as you like

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
First of welcome on board :thumb:

Really sorry to hear of your problems :Sad:

It must be the case that for every 4 or 5 good Swifts that get sold there is one that is a complete basket case :Angry:

Surely there must come a time when folk will start voting with the feet / wallets and simply boycott the company, at least until they start to back up what their wildly exaggerated claims of good customer service.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Hello ivor, sorry to read about your issues, but it's not the end of the world. There has already been some terrific advice posted and I am sure that you will get it all sorted in the end. I'm pretty new to this forum myself and can't believe the wealth of experience of it's members. With their support and acting on their advice you are well armoured in your fight to get the van that you paid for.:Smile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have had bad dealings with LOWDAM, TOGETHER WITH BROWNHILLS, absolute rubbish. Recommend HEART OF ENGLAND. BUSBY.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
been there also with lunar had to go to factory and park over gates stopped there production they threatened police ,i moved when service manager came out of office and agreed to take van back in to factory it was sorted ...
have you joined swift talk ? lots of help on there ...Link Removed :thumb:

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
::bigsmile:sorry to hear your problems we also had problems with swift through marquis got it sorted by keep taking it back now I sort it my self because I have no faith in them this is not a good advert for a industry that turns over a lot of money each year something has to be done :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
To be honest we do not have that many problems with Swift Group products and we have been selleing them for 17 years vnow.

The problems that do arise are from bought in components sush as fridges, heating and other items which are common to all vans. The answer is to replace or repair those items in an efficient and timely manner as soon as possible and not duc k and dive!

Peter

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
To be honest we do not have that many problems with Swift Group products and we have been selleing them for 17 years vnow.

The problems that do arise are from bought in components sush as fridges, heating and other items which are common to all vans. The answer is to replace or repair those items in an efficient and timely manner as soon as possible and not duc k and dive!

Peter

You mean they BUY IN leaks ?:Eeek::ROFLMAO:
Seems a bit extreme to me !!

You dont think it is because they know full well you run a damned good ship Peter, and will not put up with dodgy goings on ?

Lets face it mate, your reputation as being a top notch dealership will be well known in the trade..............

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You mean they BUY IN leaks ?:Eeek::ROFLMAO:
Seems a bit extreme to me !!

You dont think it is because they know full well you run a damned good ship Peter, and will not put up with dodgy goings on ?

Lets face it mate, your reputation as being a top notch dealership will be well known in the trade..............

Swift will churn out the same shoddy vans to any/all dealers :Eeek: the difference between good and bad dealers is the way they sort the seemingly built-in faults ::bigsmile:
Terry
I asked the question yrs ago on the dark side to then CEO /owner Peter why they never checked vans before delivery ? His answer was they did :Eeek: but they also paid dealers to do a PDI prior to selling which should pick up on any faults /fixing before selling to customers:Smile:
The argument came from some dealers that it should not come down to dealers to fix factory faults because they did not get paid enough from Swift :Eeek:(low hourly rates) but then the Swift dealers went quiet ::bigsmile: and Swift still churn out vans knowing they have faults/damage for the dealer to fix:Doh:
Terry

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Ivor from York, welcome to the forum, I do hope you have found some useful advice in all the constructive posts given, hope all goes well for you.

It is always nice to get an acknowledgment when people make a effort to give help, then further support can be given through the forum. :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Swift will churn out the same shoddy vans to any/all dealers :Eeek: the difference between good and bad dealers is the way they sort the seemingly built-in faults ::bigsmile:
Terry
I asked the question yrs ago on the dark side to then CEO /owner Peter why they never checked vans before delivery ? His answer was they did :Eeek: but they also paid dealers to do a PDI prior to selling which should pick up on any faults /fixing before selling to customers:Smile:
The argument came from some dealers that it should not come down to dealers to fix factory faults because they did not get paid enough from Swift :Eeek:(low hourly rates) but then the Swift dealers went quiet ::bigsmile: and Swift still churn out vans knowing they have faults/damage for the dealer to fix:Doh:
Terry

No arguments from me on any of the points raised Terry !!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No arguments from me on any of the points raised Terry !!

Nothing to argue about John::bigsmile:
I think that dealers have to buy Swift caravans and M/Hs from a holdings company set up by Swift :Doh: probably to protect them in some way :Eeek: I.E. Swift sell MH to hoding co, who then sell to dealers so no direct claim on Swift when it all goes tits up ::bigsmile: or it could be that dealers get the vans for a couple of mths at really low interest rates giving them time to sell before they have to pay :winky: Peter JCM may well be able to cast more light on this ?
Terry

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Under the sale of goods act the buck stops with the DEALER. Nothing to do with SWIFT.
BUSBY.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes Busby you are correct but when both Swift and Autosleeper/trail have been getting bad publicity and agro from dealers they have been known to (rarely) swap vans or get them back to the factory for repairs :winky:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back