Worm Tablets buy in uk or france (1 Viewer)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Little Miss Phoebe is on one large Milbemax per month and just taken the last one. I don't think the UK vet did me any favours but I could ask them to email me a prescription which I assume they will charge for, then I could buy them from the internet and have them posted to me in France.

Would it be as good/better to go to a French vet and get them there?

Anyone have experience of this please. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why per month?

Every 3-4 months is plenty. The advice I received from my vet was to stop giving it to them at all in this country as we travel quite regularly - if they are getting it from a French vet 3 or 4 times a year to travel back then that's more than enough. He was talking himself out of a sale so I have no reason to doubt what he said.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I found French vets definitely charged less ( lived there about 7 years) ---I've been shocked by the amount my vet in Paignton ( not exactly an expensive metropolis!) charges for vaccination boosters and wormer.

Rural vets in France recognise that the majority of their clients are not monied and I found their charges reasonable.well worth you visiting one first and finding out the cost.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Her breeder told me to worm her every month until six months old. I have never been one for regularly worming dogs, though I have generally wormed young puppies, but I understand the heart worm is common on the continent. If the Milbemax is given monthly it covers that as well as normal worms and fleas.

As we are travelling France Spain and early next year Morocco I don't want to take risks that afterwards I felt might have been avoided should something go wrong.

How prevalent is heart worm - I had never heard of it until recently but it does sound frightening. Any info anyone.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As you are already abroad I'd certainly continue with monthly treatment, not worth the risk as it is fairly prevalent in some areas. I'd get the tablets from a French vet - you can just buy them over the counter direct from the receptionist normally (they may ask the vet to check it's okay) and this saves the cost of a consultation and a UK prescription charge. Sometimes there are special offers on too if you buy a good few at a time but check the expiry dates.

We've been giving our dogs worming tablets including heartworm prevention for at least the last 5 years, although they do cost a bit more than a standard tablet, it is worth it as it is a horrible thing for them to get.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It's become more prevalent in the last couple of years. Don't want to alarm you but my neighbour's dog died of it ( in Dordogne)
I would see a vet in France and take their advice and worm accordingly.
You will also have to check for ticks. I used Rose Geranium oil ( not rose, not geranium, has to be rose geranium) diluted in water and sprayed on. Rub it through the dogs coat. All the time we were in France I only ever found 3 ticks between 2 dogs.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Thanks - the literature on the milbemax implied that ticks are covered as well, but i like the idea of the rose geranium oil. I will get some.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used some 'back of the neck' pipettes for our dogs (can't remember which ones, will have to check but also got some of the 'tick' collars which also help protect too and are quite effective as with our dogs at least we tended to find they got ticks usually around their head/neck areas, more than likely from snuffling in grass etc. On our last 2 x 6 week holiday in France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium ... despite them sticking their snozzles into loads of places they didn't get one tick.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks - the literature on the milbemax implied that ticks are covered as well, but i like the idea of the rose geranium oil. I will get some.
& get one of these.
Broken Link Removed

shouldn't be all that dear. Had mine 15 years £3 from vet in Devon. If you do find a tick just hook it under, twist anti-clockwise & lift & it is out complete with all legs. Bit of iodine & job done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back