Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Link Removed
08:18 PM PST on Monday, December 13, 2010

By KIMBERLY PIERCEALL
The Press-Enterprise

In a world with few if any electric vehicle charging stations dotting freeway offramps, taking a road trip in an all-electric RV may not last long.

That doesn't bother Brad Williams, the president and CEO of MVP RV, who hopes that his all-electric RV paves the way for more charging stations down the metaphorical road. Besides, freeways followed the invention of cars and telephone lines were strung up with more precision after the first phone call.

"It would be a challenge early on," Williams said. "The invention comes first, the infrastructure comes later," he said.

Link Removed

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The way of things to come.. :thumb:

Wonder why they have not incorporated a charging devise hooked up to the on-board jenny which I assume is lpg.. and as said 20 mins with the right equipment.. :Cool:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
A load of batteries in the belly :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
...and a waste of time!

Current battery technology as far as I can see is wholy inappropreate for vehicle use, range issues and effective charging times.

Also, it may be 'green' at the vehicle end but it's generally not at the electricity (for charging) end.

Yes, I can see small city cars/vans in, err, citys/large towns being a practical solution to localised polution but beyond that, a waste of time!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:thumb::Cool: It will never catch on on this side of the pond :ROFLMAO: bet any money it will need more than 16 amp hook up :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
Why no genny ? :whatthe: would have thought if anything needed one this would :thumb:
Wonder how much it will cost to replace the battery's every 5 / 6 yrs :winky: If I had $750,000 though I could probably afford to replace them :ROFLMAO:
terry

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Nice idea but as already said not really practical. Still it has to start somewhere so good luck to em!!:winky:

Bring on the hydrogen fuel cells then the need for batteries will be a distant memory :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
One thing that is never mentioned when people try to convince us of the merits of electric vehicles, is that internal combustion engines generate heat so, in winter, we can be nice and warm when driving our cards.

Electric vehicles generate no heat, so it has to come from the batteries. Consequently a claimed range of 100 miles for instance, comes down to fifty if one uses the heater.

No one in their right mind buys an electric car when one considers the mpg that's available from the new generation of clean and efficient engines. And what of the impact on the environment when the batteries have to be discarded? And as for the cost of new batteries!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It would be great in Morocco it the roof was full of solar panels but I can't see it catching on in the UK.

Doug...

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
The RV could be charged in as little as 20 minutes with the right equipment or as long as 24 hours plugged into a 220-volt socket.
Here's the ideal TOAD complete with "A" Frame...

NOW....THIS must be the right equipment they are referring to...

Generator.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It has just been announced that there are to be several dozen free to use charging points dotted around East Anglia..

To me that seems a bit of a waste of dosh.. I mean, who in there right mind is going to wait 12 hours to 'fill up' their car at a roadside recharging point ?

This really is still at the gimmick stage sadly :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back