Working Full Timers or Itinerants in UK

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by weejocky, Aug 18, 2010.

1. weejocky

weejocky Funster

I am on a pretty little CL in Oxfordshire, I was here last year at the same time. On site is the same family that were here last time, I thought this was a coincidence till I looked at their small van with a large tent attached and its obvious it aint moved for 12 months, they are even growing toms:Eeek:

He goes out to work all day, she works part time too. Are they Fulltimers or Itinerants, sometimes its hard to tell the difference these days. :Angry:

2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

seen it my self

Visiting a certain site attached to a well known company (they are members of this group).. no names or pack drill!!! seems to be the same motorhomes in the same place everytime we visit for work to be done. Are they full timers? but what the hell does it matter. Got to live some place, a camp site is good a place as any...to many rules and red tape as far as I am concerned. At least they are not on the edge of a curb or in the local B & Q car park breaking cars up. Live and let live... including tomatoes.

Bob:Blush:

3. weejocky

weejocky Funster

All well and good but I can see a day coming when you cannot get on a cheap CL because its full of full timing /Itinerants and it will be a sad day. The law is VERY CLEAR CLs are for RECREATION, not for living on. Too much abuse by full timers and we will lose them:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry: I for one, will report to Defra any site that I think is breaking the 28 day rule, you should too

4. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

I agree - live and let live. no problem with "Itinerants" if they do not leave loads of mess and cause trouble. At the end of the day they have a right to live the life they choose.

I only get annoyed if it has a detrimental impact, as an alternative lifestyle I am comfortable to let them get on with it

David

5. weejocky

weejocky Funster

When they stay longer that 28 days they are in breach of the law so there is no right. These places are for our recreation, if you want to live in motorhome there are places provided by the council for this, SHOUT IT OUT "FULLTIMER Itinerants STAY OFF OUR RECREATIONAL CLs"

6. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Haven't you ever broken any laws, then?

I parked on a double yellow line once :Eeek:

The CL owner is clearly happy to have them there, so I say good luck to them.

7. madbluemad

madbluemad

There are untold numbers of people doing this and I would run outa money fast if I reported them all everytime I saw it.

Its not a problem so if its not broke dont try to fix it. Leave em alone.

Jim
    :Smile:

8. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

calm down

Being retired lawyer I am fully aware of the law, although we have laws we do not always enforce them. Like parking two wheels up the curb, breaches the Highways Act, but it is not often enforced.

If you complain to DEFRA or the council that is up to you, but what happens if the CL is withdrawn over the complaint? you lose the CL that you have clearly used in the past. Is that better or worse? What do you do to the person that you say is working and is wife working part time? in effect they have to move on.. do they keep the jobs? or do they have to give them up? Where do they then live?

A lot of give and take has to take place in life and especially if you use a motorhome. Example I am allowed at a show to run a generator between 8 a.m and 10 p.m. Do I? no I use it to charge my buggy batteries and watch a bit of tv.. but I do it in moderation. I am against the 'Itinerant' as you call them (although I would prefer to see the words travellers and not the word Itinerant as that is offensive) that use land to break up cars or make a mess for others to pick the bill up, but I cannot see these people growing tomatoes as being in the group of the less desirables you think they are. I am sure the CL owner would not want that sort on his land.

Sometimes we are to fast to judge others and label them. Enjoy your camping and let others do what they want to within bounds. But it is not worth getting all steamed up about. Your point of view is noted, you have a right to that point of view, but lets do it with some calm. It is not a war zone.

Bob:cry:

9. frogijock

frogijock Funster

At least according to what you say they are both working and not on the rob, so let them get on with it

10. madbluemad

madbluemad

Good Post, the latter part could apply to a few tirades posted on the forum, mine included.

Cheers
    Jim
    :thumb:

11. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Some CLs lets face struggle to make any money, let alone any profit, many appear to be run for fun so if a CL owner can sneak a fulltimer or two under the net so to speak, why not, far from stopping 'you' getting on the site it may be more a case of allowing the CL owner to keep the site open?

12. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

Perhaps they are related to the owners of the CL or as it is really bugging you why dont you ask them, I would.

13. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

and if the cl is on a farm under the agricultural rules and regs a farmer is allowed 1 mobile accomodation unit included with in the farms allowed buildings and outbuildings and it can be sited anywhere (in days gone past it was for seasonal workers) not often used these days what with all the machinary but the clause and allowance is still there.

14. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Just what i thought. They could be saving up for a deposit on a house.
    Its not as easy for people nowadays with houses being so expensive.
    At least they are both working.
    Not on the scrounge like so many others, getting benefits for even breathing:Angry:
    Leave them alone. Think yourself lucky your not in the same situation.
    Bev

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Unlike pikies, they are not claiming housing and council tax benefit or JSA , they are paying their way by working and supporting a CL ...

what's the problem ?

16. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ive not seen any proof they are living there full time
    Just cos the unit is sited dont mean they are:Doh:

17. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

I have never had anyone staying very long term on my CL although I personally would not be bothered especially as except during August I am normally half full at best. The reason has been shown up on this thread. If somebody complains about me to Caravan Club they would probably take away my CL approval.

I have often had people stay longer than 28 days for different reasons, usually to help them out, but nobody else would be aware of that. (except now on here) :Doh: It has never been at anyone else's expense so,OK it is against the rules, but what harm is done.

Worry about something that really matters

18. mikkidee

mikkidee Read Only Funster

What a great post, feel sorry for the guy who started it off bet he wasn't expecting this response though? I say live and let live, when we get the chance we'll be doing exactly the same. Maybe they have achieved our dreams and broken away from the ball and chain mortgage and are just enjoying life at a lot more relaxed pace. We have got away from the mortgage and are now in renting, bought ourselves a motorhome and are having a great time.

Good luck to all you full timers, where ever you might be
    hope to see you all out there one day.
    Mike&Nic:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

19. weejocky

weejocky Funster

I could pretty much guess the response, their are a lot of fulltimers on this site.:RollEyes: some that are not fulltiming might have a different tune in 10 years time when recreational motorhomers won't be able to get on a CL in peak times for fulltimers looking for cheap living and ABUSING a recreational system, and clogging it up. Its going to happen it gets worse every year. CLs are not supposed to be lived on full stop and I will be reporting them. So should all recreational motorhomers :thumb: Just my opinion:Smile:

20. mikkidee

mikkidee Read Only Funster

How do you know they don't leave the site on the 28th day and then come back again, then they are not breaking the law.