Working away from home and living in a motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by alexthecheese, May 6, 2009.

1. alexthecheese

alexthecheese Deleted User

Hi guys, new here. Thanks for having me. :)

I work in lovely village in Wiltshire 5 days a week on company expenses and am thinkign about buying a motorhome in order to live in.

I can effectively get it paid for free with company expenses, as I can get money for staying in it (in turn paid to a loan) rather than staying in a B&B, so it's a very tempting prospect but one that I'm not taking lightly.

I just wondered how people get on with this kind of set up? Has anybody experienced it before?

I have so many questions regarding water, waste, energy and all that kinda stuff that I don't really know where to start so if someone could help me in this direction it would really be much appreciated. I guess I want to know at the end of the day if this is a practical alternative to living in a B&B for the rest of the year.

Thank you. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

hi Alex and welcome to the FUN.

it certainly isnt something to be taken lightly as you say.

loads of things to consider.

if you have a bit of private land to camp on you will save a bit of cash otherwise you will need a campsite and associated fees.

electric.....mains, generator or solar power....either way its gonna cost.

fresh and waste water and sewage.....again you will need somewhere to dump these on a regular basis.

too many other things to list but im sure some of the fulltimers will be along to give you advise.

john.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  3. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

The most important thing about living/working in a MH is that you will have something you can use at the end of it, and if you get bored of the view you have chosen, then just turn it around.................unlike paying for B & B's.

Now the bad bit............you got to dump your own waste regular..........you can buy lots of extras that will help you with these tasks to make life easier.

To be honest It was the best move I ever made :thumb:

Go 4 it dude!

Boo

4. alexthecheese

Thanks John. The waste part is the biggest problem I expect I'll be facing, but I have just been looking at Camping & Caravanning and found that certain campsites offer a motorhome service point where I can get new water and dump waste and what not.

One particular place in Devizes, not far away, does this for about £5 - which seems a bit of a result!

I presume I'd just have to do it once a week before going home?

5. alexthecheese

My friend, I think the enthusiasm given off by people who already have motorhomes and enjoy them is part of what makes me want one so bad! :Wink: I have wanted one for years, and now I have a means of paying for it.

I dont want to get carried away but the idea of getting one to stay in during the week, and then having the chance to use it at the weekend and for holidays is a very nice one. :)

6. pappajohn

i can almost fill the toilet cassette (around 25ltr) at a three day meet (depends how much beer is consumed :BigGrin:) and almost fill the 70ltr waste water tank in the same time.

if wifey is with me its certain to need emptying.......:thumb:....cassette that is.

sounds a lot but it aint really.

i think 5 days could be pushing it a bit.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

I only need to empty mine once a fortnight............remember you'll only be using it after work, I shower mostly using site showers (clean & free), use the washing up station (again free) and don't drink 11 pints of tea per night. :Wink:

Boo

8. pappajohn

yeah! but look what your driving Boo....:BigGrin:

you probably hold in gallons what i hold in liters. :thumb:

9. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Well get one you can slide under the bed aswell dude :Wink:

Boo

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Alex, don't worry about waste, you will always find somewhere suitable and legal to dump it. If you are in a different place every day you might struggle for safe places to park, you would need to belong to both the CC and the C&CC so that you can use their network of cheap private campsites, some charge as little an £6 a night; you might be in the corner of a field but you will have a dump point and fresh water at least.

Don't worry about the little things, they will work out. Do the sums, and if you can afford it, go for it. I don't know what relationship you have with your employer, but personally I would not advertise that you are taking his B&B money and then staying in the motorhome. You know what bosses are like when it comes to cash, he might want to re-negotiate your expenses:Eeek:

Meanwhile, welcome to the Fun, let's hope it works out and you can get yourself a nice motorhome, any questions just shout:thumb:

11. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I tried something similar a few years ago. I had a short term contract and they were paying the expenses,but, their system could not cope with anything ouside the 'norm'!

Dont know about the tax situation?

12. alexthecheese

Fortunately our expenses system can cope with this, and will pay a flat daily rate to cover living in a caravan and so forth. They save a great deal of money, and I get something out of it. :)

So, regarding waste, can you get additional cassettes for the toilet?

As for parking it, I think I could actually park it on site, but then I'd be restricted to when I could leave, so not really ideal. There's the issue of wild camping which I've been reading about over the last few days, and the reaction to this by most seems to be negative so this will likely be the sticking point.

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Wild camping can be a problem, but its all about attitude, have the right attitude and you will be fine.

The wrong attitude - Wild camping is my right. Its a free country, I'll stay as long as I like, I'll do what I like when I like. If people don't like it that's their problem.

The right Attitude -I will always seek permission where I feel its necessary and even then I will keep a low profile. I understand that most wild camping is a privilege that can be taken away and irresponsible action by me will affect others in the future.

Have the right attitude and you can wildcamp for years, plenty do.:Smile:

14. drs

drs Read Only Funster

Hi just a thought when you choose your van make sure that it's suitable for year round use as you may think that it's a chore rather than a pleasure living in it.

15. 45eEver

45eEver Read Only Funster

If you've got to work, the best is to live in a motorhome near work.

It's a different way of life though.

Experience leads me to believe
    It's necessary to think out of your box, and to be able to live off the land, without taking anymore than you need.

Part of the trick is to remember to empty your bowels before you go "home".
    Ditto your bladder.

Another part of the trick is to park near your interest.
    Eg, near the golf course, pub, church, etc.

Another part of the trick is to do teh chores daily, where you work; with the gaffer's agreement.

Another part of the trick is to put something back into the community.
    Buy at the local shop, garage, pub, and to keep where you park neater and tidier than it was before you got there.
    Cheery greetings, a happy smile, and a kind word when you meet locals.
    Especially the hoodies/chavs.

If you are working in a small town or village, try "wild camping" near the church or pub.
    Its the way to meet people and make friends.

Try to park over a drain so that any water disappears without being seen.

Clean up after yourself just before you leave

16. alexthecheese

Hi Drs. Is there any way you'd be able to quantify this for me? What constitutes a motorhome that would be a chore to live in?

Thanks! :)

17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

If living in a van year round you will need a fully winterised van, so the water will not freeze up. And you will not suffer endless condensation. Mostly this will be german built vans as they are built for a northern european winter rather than a southern european summer. Double floors, doors, roofs etc and insulated/heated water/waste tanks. Think about heating, gas releases moisture, so blown air heating and electric is best. For that you will need a hookup.
    Gas heating all winter is dangerous as well as expencive. Dont forget gas alarms and Co2 alarms. Dongle for mobile use a must but suspect you already have that. Space to store hoses etc for water filling. Permanant bed a must for fulltime. Try looking for a Hymer on a merc chassis or even on a pre 2006 fiat if you must. Good luck a great idea. but also remember contracts can be cancelled but you will still have to keep paying for the van. Make sure it will be possible.

18. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

Alex, I have to support Jim on this, I have worked for many different companies over the years and claimed expenses for working away from home but the one common theme with all of them is that they don't like paying out for something that they don't have too. More and more firms are insisting on receipts and I believe this has something to do with company tax etc. If you are getting an 'allowance' paid in cash you are one of the lucky ones and I don't want to be a grumpy sod but if your firm suddenly started asking you for receipts it might get a bit tricky.

Having said all that I think your idea is brill, wish I could've done it when I was working away, and as people have said a MH can be used for holidays as well thus making it a good investment.

I recently stayed at Anitas Touring Park near Banbury and she told me that she had had five full time Mon - Fri campers who worked at Aston Martin (Now sadly down to one as they have been laying off people recently:Sad:)

A MH is a flexible cost effective investment over the long term and right now there are some really good low mileage ones going at very good prices. Do please let us know how you get on and what you get.

19. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Why waste time sitting around 'thinking'?

OK so you got to 'dump your own waste', 'find a site', 'fetch your own water' etc etc. But everyone else doing this has either had to pay for the damn thing, or it's still owned by the Bank. In your case as you say you are effectively getting a free motorhome.

I wouldn't dither around too long because your company may well have a change of heart, cut the expenses, and shove you in a grubby little cheap B&B. End of dream.

After all......in these recession hit times today, most companies are looking at ways of cutting back in order to survive......not fund employees fantasy lifestyles.

20. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Absolutely right.

My son is in the Armed Forces and currently based 150 miles from home so a round trip of 300 miles. He gets a travel allowance if he comes home on weekend leave, but if (e.g) he decides to visit his girlfriend, he gets nothing for that.......and why should he? More recently they have 'cracked down' on travel expenses and he has to show proof that he has travelled back home.