"Worker dog" pet food

Discussion in 'Pets' started by scotjimland, Mar 6, 2011.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Mylo, our JRT is now over two years old. ..hard to believe, seems only yesterday I was posting his picture as a pup..

anyhow, he's been fed Bakers dried puppy food since we bought him, and although he always eats it has never been very fussy about it.. sometimes leaving it and picking at it without any great enthusiasm..

Last week we decided to put him onto an adult food and if possible a bit less expensive.. so we had a look while in Makro and saw Breederpack, 15kg 'worker dog food ' on offer at £5.99 zero VAT

In oder to 'break in' the new food I gave him a bowl of about 50/50 Bakers and worker dog .. to my surprise, he picked out the new food and left the Bakers.. so I tried another half bowl of the new one and he scoffed it down.. he loves it .. never sen him eat so heartily ..

so a happy dog .. and less expensive to feed.. :Smile:

2. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Dogs eat anything, Haggis.

They also love young children.

3. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Mmm I beg to differ.Susie will even turn her nose up at some treats.she is very fussy when it comes to food. Even when she's was pregnant and I bought her ceaser dog food. The best in my opinion.she wouldn't eat it.she hasn't done so bad now though reaching the age of 14.

4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

We use the breeder pack as well and the tinned breeder pack from makro

5. scotjimland

your spoiling him/her :Laughing:

never used tinned food, I can't stand the smell.. both before and after pooing :Rofl1:

6. olley

olley Funster

Daughter was having trouble with one of her cats, vets advice was to switch to Iams, apparently a lot of pet food has additives to make the pets like them, and this can upset them, so maybe something to consider about cheaper foods?

Ian

7. the stig

the stig Funster

We were fortunate to come across this guy who had his own recipe made up, he and a vet friend of his put together everything they believed should be in a good balanced mix, and our two love the dried food, never had a problem they both maintain a good weight and have beautiful coats to boot. we get it delivered to the door too. full sack at a cost of £18 which will last approx a month for the pair of them. For anyone living close by to Grimsby I can obtain samples of the food.

Andrea

8. scotjimland

I hear what you say Ian, thanks, will certainly keep an eye on Mylo ..

from Breederpack

9. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Pets At Home said that Bakers is the equivalent of MacDonalds. It has loads of fats and sugars or whatever to make it appeal to dogs but isn't the healthiest. Now I'm going over to Wainwrights which is PAH's own brand but it is very expensive. I can't go to Makro since they took my card back because I didn't use it enough. Hmmmm.:Smile::Smile:

Ivy

10. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Our vet recommended Chappie. We have a labradoodle and a miniature poodle and they are both fussy eaters and also can get upset stomachs really easily. The Chappie suits them both, although we do give them a little tinned food to moisten it. It's quite cheap too.
    We used to use a more expensive food but Hamish the doodle used to literally groan when it was put down to him and then just pick at it. :RollEyes:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

they do, but i've yet to see one eat a whole child in one sitting. :Rofl1:

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

all our four get Wagg beef or chicken dry food mixed with whatever tinned food we get.

Wagg at pets at home...£10.20 for 15kg.
    if we cant get that its pets at home own brand...£9.99 for 15kg

why anyone would pay £40+ for 15kg of dogfood beats me :Eeek:

13. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

Our dogs eat anything but I just buy them the cheapest dry food + tesco tinned dog food. Theyget what ever is left from our meal, inc Broccoli, + either just the dry food or if there isn't many scraps a bit of tinned food.
    They sit waiting for the peelings off the carrots etc and Jess follows you around if she see's you with broccoli in your hand.

14. ehuplad

ehuplad Read Only Funster

Be careful with dried food for cats if it is a male.

Vets do not tell you until it happens but it is very common for male cats to get there water works bunged up by this food, the bladder then fills up until you spot it or it Kills the Cat. We know it happend to one of ours luckily we caught it in time but still has kidney damage. Vets do not tell you this until it is to late.

15. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Arden Grange....nowhere near as much **** in it as the other foods! High protein foods make your dog go blind, and have problems with joints. Ok if they are WORKING but put them on low energy when not.

As Arden is full of mostly nice stuff, you use alot less of it!:thumb:

16. scotjimland

That's interesting .. since Arden Grange has a higher protein content ..

Arden Grange:
    [HI]Protein 25%[/HI], Oil 14%, Fibre 3%, Ash 7%

Breeder pack Worker dog:
    Protein 22% : Oils & Fats 8% : Fibre 3.5%

17. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Our Bootsie (avatar) loved a particular brand of dried food from Makro which he had in the morning with wet food at night. He ended up with a blocked bladder and kidney damage.

After a long session at the vet and £850 later we had to have him put down. :Sad:

18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Depends which one! They have a range, but we have the healthy one! Protein is some of them is surprisingly high (even i was surprised on one flavour!), but not as high as some other makes. It is about getting the balance right as much as anything - a high energy dog that is working will be perfectly fine - it is the pet type dogs that have a hard time.

One i will never buy is the Iams...not just for high protein, but for who makes it!

19. Terry

Terry Funster

That is a valid point Jim :thumb: We were told yrs ago when sack food was first introduced (by the vet) that to be classed as complete food it had to be at least 17% protein but 22/24 % was about right for most dogs :thumb: 27% was for greyhounds etc but too much protein was bad for the dog just the same as too little-we chose to feed ours on Omega 24% and have fed this to all the dogs we have had :thumb:Thinking of changing to Wagg (not sure on protein) as our dog eats it OK when he gets at daughter in laws dog food :Rofl1:
    terry

20. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

You feed you daughter in law dog food!!!!!!!:Eeek::Eeek:

Ivy