wootton bassett? afghan heroes bike run (1 Viewer)

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi there... don't know if anyone can help but we have just received a late registration for the Afghan Heroes bike run on Sunday. We had thought we were too late to register so have made no arrangements.

We are travelling down from Lancashire and the bike is a scooter, on the back of the RV. We are looking for somewhere safe where we can leave the RV when we take the scooter off to join the ride. The whole area will be choc-a-bloc because there are 10,000 bike coming so we want somewhere fairly near Wootton Bassett if possible.

Can anyone help... we would hate to miss this amazing event now that we have an invitation.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
sorry I cant help but is there a funster out there that lives near with a drive or somewhere to park its a good cause come on you lot get your thinking caps on:help:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave & Jan

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi there... don't know if anyone can help but we have just received a late registration for the Afghan Heroes bike run on Sunday. We had thought we were too late to register so have made no arrangements.

We are travelling down from Lancashire and the bike is a scooter, on the back of the RV. We are looking for somewhere safe where we can leave the RV when we take the scooter off to join the ride. The whole area will be choc-a-bloc because there are 10,000 bike coming so we want somewhere fairly near Wootton Bassett if possible.

Can anyone help... we would hate to miss this amazing event now that we have an invitation.

Hi, What size is your RV? We live near wootton Bassett and have a drive but have our own motorhome & cars on (maybe if we moved the cars you might be able to get the Rv on) There is a Brownhills motorhome dealership, northern Swindon, where you may be able to park and is not far from W/Bassett.

Dave & Jan

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Are you going to be stopping at a campsite nearby? Wootton Bassett is tight for car parking normally let alone an RV when there is an event on.
There is a campsite called Blacklands Just outside of Calne which isn't too far away for a scooter ride. There is also a CL just outside of Calne on the A4 on the Marlborough side.
How far out is acceptable for you? Try postcode SN118QR and then distance to Wootton Bassett, if that isn't too far I could talk to my son for you, it may be possible for you to park outside out house, although we are in Norfolk at the moment.

Tina

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Devizes C&CC and its open all year round about 25 miles from Wootton Bassett.....................and good luck for the ride

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Another thought for you, if it is just parking you are after you might want to try asking the landlord of The White Hart Inn, Chippenham Road, Lyneham, SN15 4PB, 01249 890243. It is just off the roundabout in the centre of Lyenham and about 5 or 6 miles from Wottoon Basset. Plenty of parking space and it is directly on the repatriation route from the airbase.

Hope you find somewhere.

Tina

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Just looked it up and I see it is starting from Hullavington, if you wanted to be closer to the start, there are 2 large supermarkets in Chippenham, Sainsburys and Morrisons where you could park the RV during the day. That would mean a bit of a trip from the end though.
The support on the website I was looking at was amazing, has brought tears to my eyes.

Tina

OP
OP
C

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
thanks to you all

First of all I must thank you all for your really kind replies. It's quite amazing how helpful people can be, especially 'Funsters' it seems! Also thank you for the good wishes, both here and pm'd.

We are going to try the White Hart but will phone in the morning when they are probably not as busy and may possibly be more receptive to our request. Thanks Tina Glenn:Smile:

Until then we are open to any other suggestions/ideas that anyone else may come up with.

Thank you all once again.. This is going to be a historic event and now we are invited - we are determined to be there - come Hell or high water. I'll let you all know how we go on!

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Afghan heroes bike run

Just slightly of topic but still relevant.

A new CD was released today called "Forever Young" and all the profits from the sale of it are going to the Afghan Heroes Charity.

I heard it today for the first time and it is very emtional, the words are based around the repatriation ceremonies which take place in Wootten Bassett, another 4 servicemen coming home tomorrow (Thursday)

The CD is available from the local Sainsbury stores, on Amazon and will be sold on the streets of Wootten on Sunday whilst the bike ride goes through.

Please consider buying a copy as all profits go to a worthwhile cause.

Thank you.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We would have loved to go on this ride, but unfortunately there was no room left as it was fully booked before closing date.

I went to a link from the organising site and ordered some wristbands to show our support but they havent been delivered yet.

I should imagine that it is going to be a very special and moving ride.

Our son is going with the army to Afghan at the end of March.

Pat

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We would have loved to go on this ride, but unfortunately there was no room left as it was fully booked before closing date.

I went to a link from the organising site and ordered some wristbands to show our support but they havent been delivered yet.

I should imagine that it is going to be a very special and moving ride.

Our son is going with the army to Afghan at the end of March.Pat

May his God go with him and keep him safe.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The Three Magpies at Seend has a CL next to the Club site. I'm sure the landlord would be able to accomodate you.:thumb:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
The Three Magpies at Seend has a CL next to the Club site. I'm sure the landlord would be able to accomodate you.:thumb:

Make sure you book we popped in there last week, and the grass section was out of bounds, and the rest of the plots were taken by workmen staying there. Next door is the CCC site but that worked out 18.00 per night

You could try Woodbridge Inn Sells Green near Pewsey, out of the way a bit, but we stayed two night, really good pub food and nice people, £10 per night including electric.

Pat

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
On the A4 between Beckhampton and Cherhill there is a big sleepyspot right off the road, about 9 miles from WBassett, if you would like to park there and need some one to look after the van while you are doing your ride, we would be more than happy to park up there and look after your van, its would our contribution towards this event, please let us know by tonight, as we would have to make our way to there after work tomorrow.:Smile:

OP
OP
C

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
thanks again

Once again, a big thank you to all who offered to help. With cynicism and selfishness always in the headlines, it's nice to know that there are still decent people in the world. It restores faith in the human race. Once again, thanks to all.

We think we have found somewhere, fingers crossed that it works out. :winky:

We do realize that this is going to be an emotional experience but we, personally, wanted to stand up and be counted.

Only registered riders can participate. There are expected to be over 10,000 registered bikes, many with pillion passengers. Each person will contribute £5 to Afghan Heroes Charity. This will be a enormous statement of solidarity from all involved.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back