Free Member
Jul 25, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Exp
1 day
Hi. My fiat ducato is playing up and won't start. I have recently jumped started it and ran it, following day - no joy. The gauge indicates the battery charge at 12.9V. Secondary to this the central locking fuse then blows. The ignition lights illuminate, there is fuel, I do not think I have anything left on. I replace the fuse only for the whole process to re occur the following day.

Any clues please?.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Im no mechanic but sounds like a short in a wire. Hopefully someone technical will be along shortly.
Hope you get it fixed, asking here Im sure you will.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Hi is it turning over properly, or is it sluggish to turn. You may have a starter motor problem it could be taking to much power to turn over?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John Rowe

John Rowe

Free Member
Jul 25, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Exp
1 day
Not turning over at all. If I connect a power pack starter to it, it still won't start. I have to jump start it.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Check the battery connection.
By clipping on the jump leads you might be disguising the bad connection of the vans leads to the battery. You need to remove both pos and neg and clean the insides of the terminals and the battery posts, the lead corrodes so badly that I've had to do it with a sharp knife before now. The blowing fuse is more of a mystery.

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
I experienced something similar with our 2009 Ducato. The cause was identified as a wiring loom behind the dashboard shorting out on something metal. What was annoying was that the the problem was investigated numerous times without solving it when under warranty. In the end I had to pay to have it fixed.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
You need to remove both pos and neg and clean the insides of the terminals and the battery posts, the lead corrodes so badly that I've had to do it with a sharp knife before now. The blowing fuse is more of a mystery.
Be SURE to DISconnect the NEG (earth) terminal FIRST and Reconnect it LAST.
Or "sparks could fly" !!
Mitch. (y)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
How old is the van?

I was wondering if it is not an engine earth cable?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When you jump started it, did you jump start it from another vehicle? Most power packs will not have enough power to start a vehicle that size if the battery is faulty, which is probably the cause. I would get the battery checked ( Halfords etc may test it for free, they did one for me). I had a battery that would not start my car even though it showed over 12 volts and was fully charged up for a day.
Halfords tested it and it showed that it was faulty under load.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Not turning over at all. If I connect a power pack starter to it, it still won't start. I have to jump start it.
Sounds like a lazy starter but before changing it have the battery tested and all the leads checked

OP
OP
John Rowe

John Rowe

Free Member
Jul 25, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Exp
1 day
How old is the van?

Sept 2007

When you jump started it, did you jump start it from another vehicle? Most power packs will not have enough power to start a vehicle that size if the battery is faulty, which is probably the cause. I would get the battery checked ( Halfords etc may test it for free, they did one for me). I had a battery that would not start my car even though it showed over 12 volts and was fully charged up for a day.
Halfords tested it and it showed that it was faulty under load.

I managed to start it once with the power pack. I have had recovery out and they started it off a power pack. Will get the battery checked oirst.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The central locking fuse blowing might be a clue, open both cab doors and inspect the loom, it may be frayed where it enters either of the doors. Also look under the bonnet where the loom comes through the bulkhead.
To isolate the issue, trying giving it a charge with the fuse removed. If it starts after that, you will know which circuit is shorting.

[Edit to add]
A real weak point is the central locking loom at the hab door, is that broken?

OP
OP
John Rowe

John Rowe

Free Member
Jul 25, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Exp
1 day
It materialised that it was a cable shorting under the drivers seat. It challenged an auto electrician some time to rectify it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back