Won't start and I'm at the top of a mountain! (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
if your still there in February, Ill get you started and take your place ::bigsmile:

enjoy the skiing, everything else can wait. :thumb:

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
Before turning the engine over try warming the fuel filter with a hot water bottle or pouring hot water on it

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
and dont forget to dip the clutch when turning the key, so you take the load of the thick oil in the gearbox off the poor battery :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lead acid batteries do not like cold...it kills them long term.

minus 12 is a hell of a temperature to subject it to, especially if its not in the flush of youth..

it may be showing full charge in volts but in fact maybe 25% down on its usual power capacity.

get the hab and cab batteries connected and try again.

once its running leave it running for an hour or two with the occasional rev to clear its throat.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Easy start (Ether) or pour a couple of teaspoonsfull of petrol into the air inlet after the filter or some hot air into the air inlet from a hair drier

Failing that a good tow start

Good luck

Peter

Colin is also saying ether start into the air filter whilst someone cranks it over, keep spraying until it starts and for a nano second after starting.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
ether start is good in an emergency ( as this is ) but dont overdo its use as the engine can become " Addicted" to it.... :Eeek: tis true :thumb:

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
The glowplug light is fed from your glowplug circuit, a problem on that circuit would flag up by a flashing light, and will cause insufficent heat in the cylinders, causing failing to start black smoke etc. If a engine sensor this will flag up by a ecu light on the dash.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
reminds me, i ran out of easy start a while back starting somebody elses engine. must put a new can in the truck for winter.

unclip the air filter housing and spray in as somebody else turns the key. stop as soon as the engine fires up

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
ether start is good in an emergency ( as this is ) but dont overdo its use as the engine can become " Addicted" to it.... :Eeek: tis true :thumb:

Many have this conception, but think about it. How on earth can a lump of metal become addicted to anything. Many think that engines become addicted to ether, but the facts of the matter are that if you have to use ether, something else is wrong, like burnt out glowplugs or low compression.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
DON'T over do the easy start or you will lock up the engine and then have to wait until it clears.
Might be best when you have charged the battery and started the engine is to keep it in the warm in the habitation area, as previously stated lead acid batteries do not like the cold, put it where it can't stub toes or get knocked over.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Many have this conception, but think about it. How on earth can a lump of metal become addicted to anything. Many think that engines become addicted to ether, but the facts of the matter are that if you have to use ether, something else is wrong, like burnt out glowplugs or low compression.

addicted is i agree a misconception, i do believe however that extended use is not good practice and can cause problems.

OP
OP
J

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
The most helpful, nicest people ....

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has offered some really good advice, tips and pointers how to get out of my current predicament.

You are all truly lovely genuine people.

I'm going to post the outcome tomorrow when fingers crossed I will get the van started!

Thank you again everyone.

Justin

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The glowplug light is fed from your glowplug circuit, a problem on that circuit would flag up by a flashing light, and will cause insufficent heat in the cylinders, causing failing to start black smoke etc. If a engine sensor this will flag up by a ecu light on the dash.

Its a non ecu engine that doesnt have conventional glow plugs to heat the cylinders,.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has offered some really good advice, tips and pointers how to get out of my current predicament.

You are all truly lovely genuine people.

I'm going to post the outcome tomorrow when fingers crossed I will get the van started!

Thank you again everyone.

Justin
If you DON'T we will send secret agents to switch it off again::bigsmile:.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The excessive cold on the batteries and engine oil will provide slow cranking which does not help the diesel fuel to ignite and provide combustion

Hot air from a hair drier down the air inlet will help a lot

Peter

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If your exhaust is only putting out a wisp of white smoke, can I suggest you might have a blockage at the fuel filter caused by waxing. You should be getting quite a bit of white smoke out of the exhaust if the injection pump and injectors are getting a good supply.
Where did you fill up?
We have been caught out before when we assumed diesel at the foot of the mountain would be of a good winter mix. It wasn't!
Especially this early in the season, you could have crap diesel in your tank.

As suggested earlier, find a way to get the engine cranking faster then if still an non-starter, try warming the fuel filter as Pete and Sal suggested.

Hope this helps!:thumb:

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
wd 40 works the same as easy start spray down the inlet the same

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
engine won't start

Hi there, jph
I'm inclined to agree with Haganap,open the bonnet and let the daytime sun get at the engine bay surprising how much warmth comes of it,then if you could get hold of booster jumper for your vehicle battery, then turn your ignition on and wait till the glowplug light goes out but DON'T try to turn the engine over at this point,turn the ignition of and straight back on again,repe
-at this at least three times in quick succession and after the third attempt then crankn the engine over continuously for quite a few seconds whilst hold
-ing the throttle pedal fully down but DONT pump the pedal,I'm fairly sure that your engine is just SOOOO COOOLDDD the oil in the sump has gone really thick asit does in extreme cold and is making cranking the engine over really sluggish,ALSO you could if you have electric hookup and hair-dryer warm the fuel pump up for 2or3 minutes with hot hair as the deisel might
have started to turn WAXY,and once you get it started give the engine a good run,you could also try the hair dryer on the battery casing as extrem
-e temperatures do have an adverse affect on batteries,and then make sure you start it AT LEAST once a day and run for about 20-25 mins.i don't think it's anything more serious than this, good luck hope this helps you,gwyntaxi,:thumb::thumb::thumb:

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Actually it's not the WD 40 that helps to start it's the propellant gas, we would use anything in an aerosol to squirt down the intake, pledge, window cleaner etc. Wrong I know but needs must. If you only have WD 40 as a starting aid then make sure you squirt it AFTER the filter, to do it before the filter will help to blind it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had a Mitsubishi 4x4 a few years ago and had the same symptoms as you, slow cranking with a new battery, took ages to start, if at all, and got gradually worse the colder it got. I had to call out Green Flag one day, he flattened another battery trying to start it, then had a brainwave and started it with his 24v truck starter. The starter motor span as usual and it fired straight away.
Of course, I am not recommending trying this too many times, but wiring a couple of batteries in series might get it started.
The problem with mine was a faulty starter motor, the windings were breaking down creating high internal resistance.
Diesel engines in good condition can be difficult to start if the cranking speed is too slow.
Anyway, good luck with starting it tomorrow.
Allan

Aug 28, 2013
leicester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
Hi there firstly i must apologize as i am new to these forums but if you are still stuck then i may be of help.firstly your hymer might be a direct injection diesel and if it is then the cranking speed of the engine is critical to it starting,when it is very cold the oil is very thick and the drag will not allow sufficient cranking speed.The way to get it firing is to buy a can of easy start and spray a very small amount into the inlet manifold or pipe,when i say a small amount i mean perhaps 1/2 a second burst and then the engine should catch.you may need to repeat this procedure several times but only spray a very small amount each time.
if you are somewhere that does not sell easy start then you can use brake cleaner spray or carburettor cleaner,but this is not as volatile so you will have to use more to get it firing
I hope this helps you to get it going andy (ratvan)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
waiting with bated breath::bigsmile: did he, didnt he, could, should, would he. has he or not. maybe someone did it for him. I'll say one thing, its more exciting than the telly!
I know that actually isnt saying much::bigsmile:
Come on mate, put us out of our misery.

cj440

Trader
Sep 19, 2013
sunny fife
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt tag axle
Exp
turn of the century
Has "Eddie The Eagle" got his engine started yet? :roflmto:

OP
OP
J

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
Life has returned to my trusty wagon!

Yes, started, but man it was not easy!

I begged a tow into the south facing car park early this morning from a digger, so the sun was on her all morning with the bonnet up. Then went skiing ....

Then returned at 1pm armed with all the appropriate items I could borrow or beg in my finest franglais.

Hooked up the jump leads from leisure to main battery, removed air filter after a hit of Wd40, then tried, and tried and tried, but no cigar she wouldn't catch.

Hooked up a battery booster, but no. Then a genny but no.

Finally a coach driver close by came over (Polish) who seemed to get straight on the case while I made the tea (true British answer to adversity). He had a small propane blow torch and he lightly torched the fuel pump I believe.

Then he squirted wd40, I turned the key and through clouds of engine smoke life returned in a very spluttery, rough as you like kind of way.

I've let the engine run for an hour and driven around the car Park, all seems fine but very rough.

So my questions to you very brilliant and helpful people:

1. I've wrapped the engine in a blanket, but am I going to have to go through this drama all over again tomorrow?

2. Have I caused any long term damage and what else can I possibly do to prevent this happening?

The final prognosis seems to be frozen diesel in the fuel pump, but that was translated from Polish to French into Devonian. The fuel pump bit he cooked for me was the black cylindrical thing about 5" long by 1 1/2" across right at the top centre of the engine bay.

Thank you everyone, I've learnt so much from so many of you.

Justin

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Bit of a pain, but run it up as often as you can to keep the lubricants warm and thin`ish:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back