WOMEN - Are we capable of operating a motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Tori hunt

Free Member
Jan 21, 2017
Great yarmouth
Funster No
MH
Hope to be very soon
Exp
Not quite yet
Good evening,

I have for many years romantically toyed with owning a little motorhome. Enjoying all the pleasentries she would bring, unlimited trips to all those places that are simply too far to do in a day.... however soon enough that idea is dampened by a moany boring half cup type Mrs Reality who screams NEVER have you ever been on holiday in your adult life tori get real!
I worry that I wouldn have enough time to actually use one running the risk of causeing distress at owning the facility but watching her sit there unused while the phone rings, a reminder that the rat race is so bloody relentless? Perhaps knowing I have the freedom to use a motorhome, abeilt locally to simply read or have nap would be a wonderful addition to mine and my family's life anyway back to point in question.... The main snag is not an emotionally discovered one, its entirely practical. We are an all women unit, Mum + Mum + Mum/Nanny + 10 yr old daughter and 2 x lady doggies I am the Head Honcho in our gang, naturally I would be responsible the little wheeled home looking after us all. All those bits and bobs the pesky boys do setting things up commonly women just oversee, 'levelling' plugging things in to make other important things work like water and electric fridge Hairdryers washing machines (I know We don't take washing machines - hehe) things that would have to be carried out to ensure it was safely parked, turned off in a way to ensure it would start again within a few days or so if we were not on a site etc It would make our adventures quite miserable if my little lot were cautious of there safety, comfort etc. I want to know the bits that our imperative in a practical sense using a motorhome within the Uk until I was sure I could take on Europe see that's what I do, I don't even have one yet but I am on a road trip of our dreams... in for a penny In for pound hoorah!! However, if I need to become a mechanic or caravan expert it might be too much commitment for me ..,, be kind guys I am not lazy, I work within a family business full time (that means 24/7 and if my 4hr sleep pattern could be stolen that too would be utilised in some work inspired deployment !) I also look after my Mumma who has limited mobility thus imperative I could keep her comfortable with ease...

All those who have taken time to read this thank you for staying until the end, if you are the CEO of your corporation (family) give your next In line a nudge an ask if without you for the weekend would they know how to run the motorhome easily and efficiently... there responses would be incredibly insightful.

Health, wealth and happiness to all

Tori x

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Me and mum sometimes go together and when we do we each have our own chores. I do what I call the man jobs. Seeing that the fresh water is full and emptying the waste when needed, emptying and cleaning the toilet, switching on the heating and hot water, putting up and taking down the awning or gazebo, plugging in elec then sit back while mum does the cooking and cleaning.

Its all about routine for us. Mum does struggle with minor tasks if I'm not in the motorhome, especially tuning in the tv.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Good evening,

I have for many years romantically toyed with owning a little motorhome. Enjoying all the pleasentries she would bring, unlimited trips to all those places that are simply too far to do in a day.... however soon enough that idea is dampened by a moany boring half cup type Mrs Reality who screams NEVER have you ever been on holiday in your adult life tori get real!
I worry that I wouldn have enough time to actually use one running the risk of causeing distress at owning the facility but watching her sit there unused while the phone rings, a reminder that the rat race is so bloody relentless? Perhaps knowing I have the freedom to use a motorhome, abeilt locally to simply read or have nap would be a wonderful addition to mine and my family's life anyway back to point in question.... The main snag is not an emotionally discovered one, its entirely practical. We are an all women unit, Mum + Mum + Mum/Nanny + 10 yr old daughter and 2 x lady doggies I am the Head Honcho in our gang, naturally I would be responsible the little wheeled home looking after us all. All those bits and bobs the pesky boys do setting things up commonly women just oversee, 'levelling' plugging things in to make other important things work like water and electric fridge Hairdryers washing machines (I know We don't take washing machines - hehe) things that would have to be carried out to ensure it was safely parked, turned off in a way to ensure it would start again within a few days or so if we were not on a site etc It would make our adventures quite miserable if my little lot were cautious of there safety, comfort etc. I want to know the bits that our imperative in a practical sense using a motorhome within the Uk until I was sure I could take on Europe see that's what I do, I don't even have one yet but I am on a road trip of our dreams... in for a penny In for pound hoorah!! However, if I need to become a mechanic or caravan expert it might be too much commitment for me ..,, be kind guys I am not lazy, I work within a family business full time (that means 24/7 and if my 4hr sleep pattern could be stolen that too would be utilised in some work inspired deployment !) I also look after my Mumma who has limited mobility thus imperative I could keep her comfortable with ease...

All those who have taken time to read this thank you for staying until the end, if you are the CEO of your corporation (family) give your next In line a nudge an ask if without you for the weekend would they know how to run the motorhome easily and efficiently... there responses would be incredibly insightful.

Health, wealth and happiness to all

Tori x

In one word YES.

More than one word .. GO FOR IT .. just buy lots of yellow post its to stck on fridge, control panel etc. Every time I change mh I have a notebook which I write in as I learn .. in simplistic terms so that my daughter could use it if needbe without trolling through the bumph of the instruction manual. A double page in the manual comes down to a small ntebook page ... I have written about EVERYTHING in my notebook from emptying toilet cassette upwards.

I also have a page with a list on. One entitled BEFORE YOU GO TO BED ...

One BEFORE SETTING OFF ..CHECK ..

etc according to YOUR life needs.

DO IT NOW WHILST YOUNG ENOUGH ..I wish I had ...

Good luck. X

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome:WelcomeFlag:Go for it you have a team of people with you so jobs can be allocated!! The 10 year old will love it especially with her own cupboard and space !!
Good luck and join the forum and you will find loads of help . w2f

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome:WelcomeFlag:Go for it you have a team of people with you so jobs can be allocated!! The 10 year old will love it especially with her own cupboard and space !!
Good luck and join the forum and you will find loads of help . w2f

Yes even my little 18month old grandaughter fills up a pop bottle with drinking water from the tap when I fiil the large drinking water bottles or watering can. She thinks she is very clever as we toddle back to the van .. her smile says it all.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
As a mere single man, I have learned to multitask both at home and in the MH; washing, ironing, cleaning, cooking, shopping and that's before I start on the MH! What's so special about being a woman that makes you think you can't do it? If you haven't tried, you'll never find out and I've met and admired many a determined and capable woman in my time (and even married one!). Just go for it! You might make some mistakes but you sure will learn not to do them again.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Do you drive a car? If the answer is no - you can't drive a motorhome! If the answer is yes, ask yourself "Am I a mechanic?" and if the answer to that is "No" then there is clearly no reason why you cannot drive a motorhome (maybe with a little help, assistance and advice to start with) as they are, as far as the driving aspect is concerned, just big cars (unless you go for a really big one of course!)

As to the other bits and pieces in the living accommodation, much of it will follow the same logic as many of your home appliances etc so, you either have the skills to work them out if they go wrong or you don't. If you don't you get someone who has those skills to look at it for you. You do not start from the premise that I could not re-wire a house therefore I will not live in one so that aspect is little different to a motorhome.

As to the connecting of electricity cables, emptying of water and toilet facilities etc you really only need to be shown how to do this once and you are away. It is not in the manufacturers interest to make these things complicated if they want to appeal to the widest customer base (and most of then do!)

Like all things in life, if they are new to us, we take a little time to adapt. You seem to be very sensible - asking questions first, already looking to build up experience near to home before striking out wider so go for it, there will be plenty of people willing to help either here or when you are on site somewhere.

Good luck.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Great intelligently worded post..
DO IT woman ! !
You live in Gt Yarmouth, there is a motorhome dealership there called Simpsons.. I have bought 2 vans from them and STILL get support (even on my now 3 year old van)
Go and have a look around, speak to a man called Brindley Crick. He is the head honcho sales wise and a VERY approachable chap..
Just LOOK. Inwardly digest, go home think, talk, look again and "distill" in you mind/s what you need from the van.. Layout is critical, number of beds too, and the ability to safely seat and belt-up the number of passengers you are intending to sleep/ travel within the van.. Length, height, WEIGHT. All these factors must be balanced and weighed up. Motorhome buying is always a compromise and a balancing of priorities.
I would suggest you are safer buying from this dealer as opposed to any on-line deals... They can be fraught with pitfalls and dangers for the first timer (and even the more experienced)...
I don't know what budget you have, but second hand is a wise "first van" move (cos few get it right first time).
AND.... You have just joined the best, MOST helpful and supportive motorhome club on-line anywhere ! ! !
Any and ALL questions you have WILL be answered politely, patiently, supportingly and with the understanding and memory of what it was like to be a "Newby" just starting out in this wonderful lifestyle choice ! ! !
Your tone indicates that is only WHEN and not IF you get a motorhome ! ! !
Do it, and enjoy.
Remember, we are ALL here and willing to help with anything you need to know..
Mitch. xx

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Definately go for it!! The best thing I ever did. Days out just picnicking locally, to weekends away with other members of Motorhome Fun, to touring Scotland, to joining others on rallies and eventually crossing the channel. It is a fantastic lifestyle and there is nothing complex about it. As Wendy says, you will make mistakes, we all did/do but that's how you learn.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Some good info here already here is my tuppence worth you run a house raised a family you can look after a motorhome. Buy 1 with lots of research when you go away its the greatest tonic lifes just different I guess because your away from the real world.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Go for it, lots of good suggestions.
Prioritise what you must have eg no of seatbelts
When did you pas your test? are you limited to 3.5, if so take any payload with a pinch of salt and have a weight certificate for any van you are considering.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If it is something you have looked into and it appeals, make like Nike and just do it! Life is too short not to give these things a go. You will be more than capable, Cindy often drives ours on her own with the dogs and sets it up etc, gender not is not a factor. Do be very aware of vehicle weight and license entitlement, usable payload and habitation layouts as part of your research though.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Dunno about being capable to handle motorhome but sure as hell not able to handle those Chelsea tractors on the school runs. Hope this helps lol.

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Girl Power! (y)
Seriously though I echo all the previous posts, particularly Jenny & Mitch's. Look at lots & ask loads of questions.
We're new to it and still refer to instructions as to how everything works. It's all part & parcel of a (very enjoyable) challenge. We're only 5 miles down the road from you, and would be happy if you wanted to tap into our ( limited :D2) Knowledge.

OP
OP
T

Tori hunt

Free Member
Jan 21, 2017
Great yarmouth
Funster No
MH
Hope to be very soon
Exp
Not quite yet
Wow, I am overwhelmed by your wonderful, charming responses... I hope you don't mind but I am holding you all responsible for this lifestyle change... providing the gentle nudge to just do it!

Thank you so very much! I will be online this evening to respond individually and keep you posted on my scenario as it starts to come together... in the mean time are there any motorhomes that are possibly more commonly preferred, quite simply I have four units of natural adult size human to home for the weekend, what bearth would that require? I am happy to have the deck lol x

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Yep. We live in Bungay and are back home in March, so just shout if you want help.
Happy to come round with you to look at Simpsons vans if you so wish.
It is hardly ever the prime mover that causes any problem, but the habitation part needs careful inspection and checking for damp or water ingress, payload etc.
VERY good luck and enjoy the whole process.
Mitch. (y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Go for it. There's no reason why women shouldn't be able to deal with operating a motorhome. My better half can drive ours.. she prefers not to but she can. She is currently living solo in it part time as we're moving home and she has had to learn everything about it and how things work. She has coped admirably..... as I expected her to.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I agree with everybody else - just do it.

You are spoilt for choice of good dealers in Great Yarmouth it appears. As well as the one Mitch recommends you also have Becks, a few miles further away in Rollesby. That is who I bought mine from, even though I live in Kent, and they have been very good.

One more tip is that in order to post more than 5 posts here you will need to subscribe. It is the best £15 per year you can spend. We can then start rolling our sleeves up and giving you loads more advice about things like layout, payload, Brit v European vans, solar panels, touring, going over the pond to the rest of Europe etc etc etc. And you can even sometimes meet up with us and see that we are every bit as helpful as we seem (with one or two exceptions you will find out all about!).

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes,you can do it. GO FOR IT!
I haven't yet,but I will when able.
Anyhow,look at it this way,if all the Funsters on here can do it whilst sharing the same brain cell,you will find it easy.:D:p(n)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
What
Yes,you can do it. GO FOR IT!
I haven't yet,but I will when able.
Anyhow,look at it this way,if all the Funsters on here can do it whilst sharing the same brain cell,you will find it easy.:D:p(n)
what a terrible thing to say that all the women funsters only have one brain cell between them.. Good lord whatever next lol

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi , Are you thinking of buying new or secondhand ?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Next step.......Being a Lady Astronaut ? ....... Why stop at a M/home,do it
Tea Bag

Feb 5, 2012
South East Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
I do all the man type jobs, while my husband does all of the cooking etc. if I am capable of doing it all, anyone is!
It is wonderful to get away even for one night. We often go Saturday to Sunday and come back home feeling refreshed, ready for work the next day.
It's the best thing we ever did. Go for it and enjoy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back