LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The fact I am fast approching 60 I hae been thinking about buying a WLA 45/WLC 45 has any one on here had any experieance or owned one.
I do own numorus bikes mainly old ones but not owned an early Harley I am sure some on here may of owned one when they were new.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
im not a Harley fan, but if you have an itch, do it.

Be interested to know what else you have though.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have had a few Harleys modern ones Vrod Buells but never an old one and restoring one now costs a small fortune. I have looked at some other stuff recently even Vinnys but they were not very good when they were £500 never mind £50k plus here are some photos of a few of my bikes.
$_57.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG
TRIUMPH TIGER 90.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
They don't go - They don't stop - heavy as f@@k - who wouldn't want one?

Have a look for another old classic Japanese bike. That Flat tracker looks well.

Newark Show next week end:xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Yes Alex I will be there, could possibly be something I fancy but it would seem any thing at Newark is twice the price I know money has got worth less but in the classic bike world you need a carrier bag full to buy any thing. My said why dont treat yourself to one of them Broughs! until I showed her some auction results she soon back peddaled:)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Im seeing a parallel twin theme.

Love the flat tracker.
My dad had a Tiger 90 for years, got loads of bits done over the years, and finally admitted he would never finish it and let it go for buttons.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Great looking bikes you have already, why spoil the collection with a HD, just kidding, Newark for me as well next week, weather permitting.:xThumb:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
most folk buy T shirts to match their bike, not the other way round.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Modern Harleys (anything from an EVO and later) are quite reliable and with a reasonable performance. My softail has over 90K on it and I've never had to push it home or call out a breakdown service, but if you're thinking of a WLA you will need deep pockets and be prepared to do a lot of regular maintenance unless it's just going to be an ornament in the garage.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I rode an 883 Sportster once, apart from the fact it didnt go, didnt stop, and didnt go round corners it was ok.. when i got back, i said to the guy'you need to sort the brakes', to find out they were upgraded to death.

Sound nice though.

With classic bikes, deep pockets is an assumption. I'm rebuilding a couple of my old race bikes, and while the parts finding is really satisfying, not being able to buy what i need when i need it is slowing the job down a lot.

I have shied away from doing this for ages because i knew it would be pain, but its still fun, and i've ended up doing 2 at the same time, one to use and a running spare , which will be a proper frame up job , money permitting.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The gold XS you see in the first picture is in compleat bits at the moment just waiting for the frame to come back painted.
I hae just had the motor to bits to gie it the once oer new cam chain and so on.
I do like these Xs as I used to race one in an outfit after Norton 750s got harder to find apart from taking the motor up to 750 I had no issues with it for 2 seasons I do hae some photos of my old Wasp outfit I will try to scan them.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Some proper Duckbill going on there.

No amount of money would get me on one of those, I have a mate who keeps dangling a 500 EML Kawasaki under my nose , but I'm not biting... mixed feelings about the chairs, great to watch but used to have to race straight after , and the tracks were ripped to bits.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
@PhilG I used to race solos Butacos ect but once I built my first chair I was hooked first was an A10 to slow then Triumph 110 in a Lynx frame used to do a bit of grass with that one as well. But could not compeat with the Weslakes on dope but great fun as I remember.
Oh by the way sidcars were made to make tracks for solos.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Im a bit younger than you , so was never subjected to such cruelty, lol, by the time i got onto a 250, Bultaco's were long gone . Bikes from 1977 to 1981 was like 20 years development now, i could tell you every bike pretty much from 1974 through to 1993, after that, they are all the same.

We have just done an 89 RM125, and have an 84 coming if the price is right, (read free), they are fun to do up, but trying to find good parts is hard work. It keeps us busy , and saves us riding the modern stuff over winter.

Reactions: f6c

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I rode an 883 Sportster once, apart from the fact it didnt go, didnt stop, and didnt go round corners it was ok.. when i got back, i said to the guy'you need to sort the brakes', to find out they were upgraded to death.
Much of the bad press surrounding Harleys originate from owner "improvements".

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I had a mate that had a Bullet Tank BSA,, hand change, solid rear, girder front, from memory somewhere around the 1920s, in a glass case in his 1500 sq ft lounge.
He had a business exporting Meat to Japan Korea Taiwan & Cambodia. The common language was English, he used the bike as a "conversation starter" when he invited his customers to his house.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Probably as much knowledge of older Harleys here ss anywhere, loads of them have or have had WLs

Link Removed

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Much of the bad press surrounding Harleys originate from owner "improvements".

The bad press comes from people that have ridden something else. :ROFLMAO:

Once you align your expectations to what you are going to get , they tick a lot of boxes, as long as none of them are performance related.

That said, things change over the years , and while the bikes dont change much, what you want out of owning one does. I am over road bikes, or rather the road, so i dont get excited over them really, but as a bit of fun for a weekend run, or a winter project, you cant beat something different

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Loads of potential in one of those, can you still get good panels for them?

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Just in case you've not seen it last chance this week to see Harley and the Davidsons..3parter on catch-up (till weds). Should be some impressive models:whistle:

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Judy, went to Newark Classic today not much cop to be honest a lot of scooters the next biggest display was the BSA GOLD STAR owners club well they had a captive audience to bore to death about their priestinge orniments and how much they were worth, well to them anyway.
Did any one fancy the x75 for a mere 30k or the MH900 @30k but to be fair I did ask how many lira to the £ the bloke was from Yorkshire so he did not share my sense of humour :)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Thanks Judy, went to Newark Classic today not much cop to be honest a lot of scooters the next biggest display was the BSA GOLD STAR owners club well they had a captive audience to bore to death about their priestinge orniments and how much they were worth, well to them anyway.
Did any one fancy the x75 for a mere 30k or the MH900 @30k but to be fair I did ask how many lira to the £ the bloke was from Yorkshire so he did not share my sense of humour :)

Have you considered bringing one in from the US ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back