Free Member
Sep 13, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi relatively new to this we bought a motorhome this year and have been to Devon and Cornwall on campsites. But given that we both work all week I want to try and use the van as much as possible even in winter for the odd wk end night we like walking down on the coast and would like to know is there many places that you can just park up for say one night without having to book a on a site. Maybe car parks or designated areas.we live in Dorset so at most an hour from the coast . Want to use the van but don't want to get in trouble. Would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There will be plenty of wilding spots if you can find them. People tend to keep them quiet though because once they become common knowledge they start to get abused. Someone might share some spots in your area with you.

Some car parks will allow overnighting, some wont, it varies from place to place. @GJH will be able to tell you more.

Another option for you, and the one we use most in the UK, is pub stops. You have a couple of options to find these: There is @keith 's map here or you could have a look at Britstops

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Hi and welcome to the club.:welc: A couple of years ago we stayed overnight on the seafront car park at Lowstoft. Parking was free after 6pm till 9am and there are toilets next door and a nice fish and chip shop opposite. Heaven. I hope it is still the same nowdays.
Someone may come along to verify or not. Good luck. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Maybe car parks or designated areas.
Some car parks will allow overnighting, some wont, it varies from place to place. @GJH will be able to tell you more.
The only accurate list I know of is the one maintained by Andy Clarke at UK Motorhomes. There are plenty of other car parks where daytime parking is allowed but not overnight camping.
or even still usable
That's worth taking note of as such lists do go out of date and one risks a penalty in some areas.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi and welcome to the club.:welc: A couple of years ago we stayed overnight on the seafront car park at Lowstoft. Parking was free after 6pm till 9am and there are toilets next door and a nice fish and chip shop opposite. Heaven. I hope it is still the same nowdays.
Someone may come along to verify or not. Good luck. (y)
Waveney Council made a new parking order earlier this year. Camping/sleeping/cooking is banned (though I think officially it was previously anyway). To what extent it is enforced I don't know.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Waveney Council made a new parking order earlier this year. Camping/sleeping/cooking is banned (though I think officially it was previously anyway). To what extent it is enforced I don't know.
Caused by sodding Itinerants again Graham ( I use the name Itinerants as I know for sure the issue was not caused by Gypsies )
They plotted up in a big car park and although numerous fines were issued and attempts to get them moved happened, it took a LONG time to get it sorted out. And the mess they left ( as seems to be almost de rigueur by such groups ) was awful
Within a very short space of time the new rules were instigated

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oops !
Forgot to reply to the OP :)

The first couple of years we had a MH, I drew a 60 mile radius on a map, and then just chose somewhere every week
Sometimes things did not go to plan so we just moved around until we found something suitable..
Planning seems to be a bit of an anathema to motorhoming !!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Caused by sodding Itinerants again Graham ( I use the name Itinerants as I know for sure the issue was not caused by Gypsies )
They plotted up in a big car park and although numerous fines were issued and attempts to get them moved happened, it took a LONG time to get it sorted out. And the mess they left ( as seems to be almost de rigueur by such groups ) was awful
Within a very short space of time the new rules were instigated

Interesting.. The words in bold has for some reason deemed the name p i k etc etc not correct..Even though it is in the OED and is recognised as the distinction between proper Gypsies and the other type by both parties

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We visit Whitby a lot and have noticed the degree of enforcement varies with how busy it is it will probably be the same down south as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back