Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Sometimes if I'm lucky I glimpse a woman standing behind the motorhome looking like she is juggling without balls and screaming with a high pitched voice .
I have no idea what she is doing.....she has no idea what she is doing.

I must get a reversing camera !

barry:Smile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Lorraine makes sure I totally understand her hand signals as she doesn't like to swear out loud :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its a woman thing :ROFLMAO:

Multi tasking to a woman means buggering up several things at once:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Reversing Camera

Our friend is really annoyed his reversing camera will not work. He has to use SWMBO to help quide him.

He is really frustrated because not only does in not work but if it did he would also want it to record what it sees.

It was not until he got out the van he realised he had run her over.

Oooopps

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
most of us have some sort of black hole at the rear of the van where the wife goes to when she is helping reverse .

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Reversing Aids

Okay, an interesting discussion. Several training sessions later !!
Reversing goes a bit like this
1. Nope can't see the love of my life, get out and reposition the aforementioned love.
2. Wind window down (1999) am I nearly there? No you have loads of room.
3. What seems like several miles later, am I nearly there? Nope you have loads of space.
4. Get out and reposition love of my life away from the number plate, quick glance confirms that I have probably about 2 foot to go, not sure what that is in metric.
5. Quick training refresher with hand movement to signify spacing
6. Must be in position now, check hand movement no movement, but I have definitely moved.
7. Will you move your hands when the van moves, I have comes the reply.
8. Handbrake on, electrics hooked up, have a brew. You try bloody reversing

The end
:cry:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you men are SOOOOOO BRILLIANT then how come you need HELP in the first place ... huh, well come on, answer that one you clever b*ggars! :RollEyes:

I can reverse a caravan, a trailer, our motorhome, car etc without a problem, I've just got the knack, I've also got good judgement of 'size', ie I can tell our vehicles will go through gaps when hubby thinks they're way too narrow or short. Hubby however can reverse the camper down a windy dirt track for over 100 yards using just his wing mirrors without a problem (this was when we'd met a great hulking tractor with a large trailer who couldn't go backwards) ... but ask him to reverse park the normal car into a car park spot and he's hopeless ... and don't even ask me how bad he is when he's trying to reverse the Smart!!! :Doh::ROFLMAO: Like all men he has a real problem with estimating 'size', hence why I need to help him when parking the camper in a spot/pitch etc. ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why dont you let her do it?

Ah-hem ... LET her do it ... occasionally HE has a huff because he thinks he knows best and ignores my hand signals, so gets out of the camper to 'discuss' it all, then I end up getting in the van and parking it WITHOUT his help .... :thumb:

Us women have to let you men THINK you know what you're doing sometimes otherwise you'd feel TOTALLY useless ... :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I find this whole thread highly amusing. No matter male or female or whatever in between, if you drive a vehicle, you should not have to rely on anyone else. If you do, then the person directing should be proficient and understand how it should be done. The driver however still has full responsibility for the vehicle and its manouvering.

A heated debate between driver and the person directing only shows that one or both dont understand correctly how it works. This makes it dangerous

If you cant see where you are reversing, get out and check visually yourself and if in doubt do it again. If your passenger gets out, it should only be for safety reasons as in stop traffic or pedestrians getting into the danger zone. Everything else is the responsibility of the driver

As has been mentioned before, there is no substitute for training or experience. If your nervous driving or reversing a motorhome, get some training from a local comercial driving school. It should not embarass anyone going back to driving school, and can even lead to better options on your licence, proving your a good driver.

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I notice that some of you let your wife do the reversing. In our situation I do 95% of the driving. So, she gets little practice. In the last 5 years there have been four minor and one major accident when she has been driving. I must point out that absolutely none of them have been her fault, let me repeat, none were her fault.

When she is driving I just get so frightened I take over in order to relax.

I stress again, none of those accidents were her fault, none at all! I won't be letting her see this post, I have very few medals for bravery as it is.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Once I have positioned my wife in view of a mirror,don't need to really but its makes here feel useful, I need to come to terms with her spacial concepts and distance units.
My wife initially trained as a teacher so instead of feet and yards I have to understand metres and other units. What is loads a unit of? Is tons of room greater or lesser than gobs of room?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Once I have positioned my wife in view of a mirror,don't need to really but its makes here feel useful, I need to come to terms with her spacial concepts and distance units.
My wife initially trained as a teacher so instead of feet and yards I have to understand metres and other units. What is loads a unit of? Is tons of room greater or lesser than gobs of room?

... I suppose it depends on how big your gob is .... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I find most of this surprising. I must be married to the only intelligent woman in the UK.

1. We first decided upon a system of communication for her to use.
2. Then she uses it.

How can something so amazingly simple be complicated to so many people.

My heart bleeds for the heavy burden all you other male drivers have to bear.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I find most of this surprising. I must be married to the only intelligent woman in the UK.

2. Then she uses it.

My heart bleeds for the heavy burden all you other male drivers have to bear.

The most intelligent woman in the UK must be married to an appalling driver if you need assistance to reverse a Bilbo Celex :ROFLMAO: we have settees' in the RV bigger than that:winky:

I wonder how the only intelligent woman in the UK selected a man that can't reverse:RollEyes:

Eddie ( on behalf of all the men hat married intelligent women that can also drive Motorhomes :Eeek:)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

2. Then she uses it.

My heart bleeds for the heavy burden [HI]all [/HI]you other male drivers have to bear.

I resemble that remark :winky:

I am a male driver and don't have any burden intelligent or otherwise to bear :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
The most intelligent woman in the UK must be married to an appalling driver if you need assistance to reverse a Bilbo Celex :ROFLMAO: we have settees' in the RV bigger than that:winky:

I wonder how the only intelligent woman in the UK selected a man that can't reverse:RollEyes:

Eddie ( on behalf of all the men hat married intelligent women that can also drive Motorhomes :Eeek:)

Thanks Eddy - well spotted.

I have only just bought the Celex, you fitted me an alarm on the 6th March just after I bought it. So far I have not made any real use of the Celex. All my experience in reversing was with the much larger van I previously owned.

I always use the help of my wife as a belt and braces approach. You can never be sure when a kid or some imbecile will walk behind the van whilst reversing.

It never pays to be too cock sure of your own expertise. I seen the results far too many times. I have also worked on campsites and seen the damage done by expert motorists who couldn't handle a dinky toy properly let alone a real road vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
This thread might be a little tired by now but I do need to add a little clarification. I have no problem reversing in simple parking situations. As we all know, there are times when we finish up down a road that forces us to reverse. The situation will be tight with trees, rocks, drop offs and obstacles on both sides of the vehicle. In these circumstances a helper is virtually essential.

My real grumble is that I simply can not persuade my wife to adopt an agreed logical system. I need words that have only one meaning, I need gestures that have only one meaning, I need gap descriptions that make sense. I need to see her. I need her to be aware of hazards on both sides of the vehicle and on the roof.

Trust me, I have cajoled, I have been diplomatic, I have written down a proposed signalling system. None of it has worked.

Not only that, she puts the sweetener in the tea before taking the tea bag out and I put the sweetener in after the tea bag comes out. Any tips on sorting that dilemma out would also be appreciated.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
You could trade her in for another model ...........the wife I mean:winky:

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Yes

I find in the middle of a city like paris at 10.00pm - both very tired. On a four lane motorway I hear her say "go that way" is a problem!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not only that, she puts the sweetener in the tea before taking the tea bag out and I put the sweetener in after the tea bag comes out. Any tips on sorting that dilemma out would also be appreciated.
... simple, you should ALWAYS make the tea! :thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
A very entertaining thread, never laughed so much for a long time.

Anyone tow a small (4ft) trailer behind a MH? Now that really tests your ability to reverse, and before anyone asks yes I do tow one and yes I can reverse it. :Cool:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have no problem reversing and often have to reverse the 7 metre motorhome with a 4.5 metre trailer on the back into our workshop. jackie can't drive the motorhome (only licensed up to 3.5 tonnes and can't reach the pedals anyway). I have in the past reversed the outfit the 50 metres or so from the gates into the yard all the way inrto the workshop in one manouvre, Jackie assists at the workshop entrance and knows the signals required, she also often guides me when putting customers motorhomes onto the lift.

Number one rule is NEVER put yourself in a dangerous position!

Number two rule is to be seen when giving direction, if you can't see the driver in his mirrors then he almost certainly can't see you.

Number three rule is to ensure your hands can be seen, chap I used to work with always held his arms straight up in the air to direct a driver which was totally useless as his hands were then above the driver's field of view in the mirrors. As an assistant position yourself so you will not get trapped and so you can see the driver in the mirrors, hold your hands at head height i.e. in line of sight between your eyes and the driver's.

D.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
My Wife knows that if she were to help me reverse i would see it as a great opportunity.Never look a gift horse in the mouth and all that.:ROFLMAO:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
A very entertaining thread, never laughed so much for a long time.

Anyone tow a small (4ft) trailer behind a MH? Now that really tests your ability to reverse, and before anyone asks yes I do tow one and yes I can reverse it. :Cool:

I'm intrigued. How can you reverse the MH if you cannot see the trailer? When I had a car and caravan the van was quite easy to reverse because it was easy to see where it was and where it was going.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back