Wishfull thinking ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gc1873, May 12, 2011.

1. gc1873

gc1873 Read Only Funster

Hi guys 'n' gals,
    I am in here because my wife and I are seriously considering selling our home, buying a motorhome (budget circa £40,000) and travelling for a couple of years. This is my very first step in that process and I would love to hear what you think of the idea, ie is it practical and what are the benefits and pitfalls. Cheers, Gordon :BigGrin:

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Is it possible for you to downsize on the house, rather than sell up altogether? We made that mistake before and won't do it again.

Nigel and Pamala

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

You are wise to ask as there are many things to consider much of which is covered in the Fulltiming forum http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/full-timers/so I won't repeat what has been said already .. have a read then ask some specific questions..

Also worth joining is Motorhome 365, or sister site for fulltimers and it's free.

We fulltimed for three years and I agree with Nigel.. we sold up but regretted not having a house to fall back on. .. It's a lot easier to sell up and hit the road than to get back into a house.. being homeless is not advisable..
    Of course this all depends on your financial circumstances, but if your selling to finance the lifestyle sit down and do a full costing... most fulltimers agree that it costs between £12 - £15 K per year.. so it's not a cheap lifestyle..

4. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Yes, I would advise downsizing, rather than selling. One because you have a base address for insurances/mail etc and secondly, if it all goes wrong or you want to come home you have a bolt hole to go to!