May 12, 2011
North Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
new to this
Hi guys 'n' gals,
I am in here because my wife and I are seriously considering selling our home, buying a motorhome (budget circa £40,000) and travelling for a couple of years. This is my very first step in that process and I would love to hear what you think of the idea, ie is it practical and what are the benefits and pitfalls. Cheers, Gordon ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Is it possible for you to downsize on the house, rather than sell up altogether? We made that mistake before and won't do it again.

Nigel and Pamala

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

You are wise to ask as there are many things to consider much of which is covered in the Fulltiming forum http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/full-timers/so I won't repeat what has been said already .. have a read then ask some specific questions..

Also worth joining is Motorhome 365, or sister site for fulltimers and it's free.

We fulltimed for three years and I agree with Nigel.. we sold up but regretted not having a house to fall back on. .. It's a lot easier to sell up and hit the road than to get back into a house.. being homeless is not advisable..
Of course this all depends on your financial circumstances, but if your selling to finance the lifestyle sit down and do a full costing... most fulltimers agree that it costs between £12 - £15 K per year.. so it's not a cheap lifestyle..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Yes, I would advise downsizing, rather than selling. One because you have a base address for insurances/mail etc and secondly, if it all goes wrong or you want to come home you have a bolt hole to go to!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back