OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I figure all the wiring in my van must go back to a distribution point, right? I mean, looking at the leisure battery there are only so many wires coming from it. How do I find out where this is? I have one ceiling light which does not work, and it seems to be a problem of no power arriving on the van wires. How do I find out where that wire goes back to to make sure it is properly connected? The other two lights work so I am guessing they are all individually wired, and not on a loop.

I have an Autotrail Apache 1990 on a Mercedes 208 D Chassis.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
use a tracer, the same way you track network cables. plug the transmitter onto the dead wire then trace it using the probe to where the signal stops

pick a cheap basic one up on ebay for about £13
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Would they not all go through the fuse box? ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
use a tracer, the same way you track network cables. plug the transmitter onto the dead wire then trace it using the probe to where the signal stops

pick a cheap basic one up on ebay for about £13
Broken Link Removed

I had one of those once when I used to install and maintain telephone systems. Good idea.

Would they not all go through the fuse box? ::bigsmile:

This is what I am asking you silly! :Doh: Where would the fuse box be? I can't find anything which looks fuse boxy, other than the 240 volt one. Where would I look?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had one of those once when I used to install and maintain telephone systems. Good idea.

This is what I am asking you silly! :Doh: Where would the fuse box be? I can't find anything which looks fuse boxy, other than the 240 volt one. [HI]Where would I look[/HI]?

usually near the battery charger......

Inside cupboards
In the wardrobe
Under the wardrobe floor.

Dont expect anything big....maybe no bigger than a fag packet with 4 or 5 blade fuses in.

I doubt very much your lights will be separately wired or fused....more like a broken wire somewhere

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I may be miles off the mark here, but on some older AutoTrails some of the interior lights only work off mains electric. In other words, when you are on hook up.
A relative has an older AutoTrail and there are two lights positioned just behind and above the driver/passenger seats where the cab joins the hab area. These will only work on mains.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
usually near the battery charger......

Inside cupboards
In the wardrobe
Under the wardrobe floor.

Dont expect anything big....maybe no bigger than a fag packet with 4 or 5 blade fuses in.

I doubt very much your lights will be separately wired or fused....more like a broken wire somewhere

My fuses are behind my seat and ecu (where all the wires come from) is under the drivers seat so don't rule anywhere out as John said.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
This is what I am asking you silly! :Doh: Where would the fuse box be? I can't find anything which looks fuse boxy said:
Sorry I misunderstood you

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
My old Merc Chieftain's fuses were all behind the dash on the passenger side - and what a shambles that was! The fuses were all ceramic with bits of brass strip of varying width. The only identification was in the Merc handbook which only covered the base vehicle. I spent many an hour with a multimeter chasing odd faults, sometimes having to rewire some of the circuits. :Doh:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I may be miles off the mark here, but on some older AutoTrails some of the interior lights only work off mains electric. In other words, when you are on hook up.
A relative has an older AutoTrail and there are two lights positioned just behind and above the driver/passenger seats where the cab joins the hab area. These will only work on mains.

You know this is going to be the very next test I do! lol Although I am not certain that this is the issue - the wiring to the light fitting looks distinctly of the 12v variety. Not that I am an expert at all! lol

I'll let you know

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back