Wiring in reversing camera

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Stroppy Bird, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

My reversing camera has turned up today. I am intending on using it with my garmin sat nav and have the appropriate lead to connect the av cable to it.

My question is this - what is the easiest way of picking up the 12v power for the actual camera.

I know it can be done by using the +ve to the reversing light - but how exactly do I do this? My van is a 2010 Fiat Ducato. I've had a look at the rear lights and presume that somehow or other I need to connect to the correct wire in the electrical block that is connected there - is this how others have done it? There is already a bolt to the chassis near the lights that has a couple of wires attached to it - I'm thinking that these are the grounding ones and I can just connect the camera -ve to this.

The alternative is that the av cable also has a trigger wire running through it. Would this be able to be connected to the camera +ve and then to another +ve at the monitor end to provide power as and when required? If so is there such a thing as a male cig lighter that has an input for just a +ve wire - most seem to have inputs for +ve and -ve?

I'm trying to not over complicate but seem to be going round in circles at the moment on this one!

2. ericroy

ericroy Funster

When I fitted my reversing camera to a 2014 Citroen Relay (should be almost identical to yours), I used the auxiliary socket in the rear off-side corner as the 12v power source and connected the earth return to the bolt earth-bonding point you have described. While this may not be ideal for everyone, I wanted a simple approach that brought all the connections from a single location and did not impact the vehicle CANBUS. I used a meter to identify which was the feed to the reversing lamp so that this could be used to trigger the reversing camera.

3. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

I would locate the rear light cluster and find the rev live feed and then scotchlock or use a doubler bullet connector to connect the rev camera wire into it.

4. Mike B

Mike B Funster

5. steevie

steevie Funster

I have mine on a switch, which is connected through the fuse box. That way I can use it anytime to check whats behind me, mainly because I do a lot of towing, but also to see whats happening behind at other times, without having to put it in reverse. Down to preference I suppose.

6. movan

movan Funster Life Member

give Terry or Andy63 a private message and they may be able to help you. :)

FAndy63Working.jpg

7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Run the camera power wiring alongside (taped to) the video lead to the front. Once you have it under the dashboard you can choose either a simple switch as suggested or you can connect it to the reversing lamp wire as it heads off from the gearbox switch towards the rear of the van.