wiring in LED LIGHT (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Just bought a 12v led strip light with built in switch.to fit under bed.question. I have spare 12 supply but can only find one red wire which is definitly 12v.the light has two wires coming from it + &-.do I need a transformer?.If I wire red wire to + does other wire from light go to earth.I know to some this may be obvious. do I fit an inline fuse between light and wire from motorhome.Any help appreciated.:thumb:Broken Link Removed

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi.

A transformer NO, they only work on an AC circuit not DC.

You need the + 12volts which it sounds as if you have found also a earth (-) connection.

It would not do any harm to put a fuse in the circuit but I would think the supply you have found would already be fused, it might just be a case of finding how strong a fuse is on the feed.

Mike

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If I wire red wire to + does other wire from light go to earth.

That should work.

I know to some this may be obvious.

"Obvious" is a trap for fools, nothing is obvious. Like our Burstner, brown will be +12V and black will be ground, it's obvious. But NO, the Germans use brown for Ground and black / blue for +12V feed.

do I fit an inline fuse between light and wire from motorhome.

To do the job properly you should find where that red wire is fused, if it's a 20A circuit that's enough to cause a fire in an LED strip if something shorts out, so a local 5A one would be the safe option.

See red.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Masman
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Thanks Mike:thumb: & Brian.:thumb:Have chased wire back.its on its own circuit:Smile: so just got to see what fuse size is & change to 5amp as Brian said.:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
dont forget that led's are pollarity sensitive, so if it dont work at first swap the wires over:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back