Wiring daylight driving lights? (1 Viewer)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
After the 3rd time that I ran the battery flat by leaving on the dipped headlights in countries where it is mandatory to have them on in daylight (amazing how quick this happens with 6 repeater lights and 4 on the back as well, a quick lunch in a lay-by is enough) I have decided to fit DRLs (daylight running lights) especially as more countries make them compulsory.

I’ve found some that are dual purpose, fog and DRL and will swap directly for my current fogs.

Has anyone used the dedicated lighting harness for these? + and – volts are straight to battery terminals apparently they switch on when voltage at terminals is 13plus volts. Question wouldn’t they be on permanently then when on EHU or maybe not?

By the way I have a battery master but it doesn’t seem to work with my van. This time I discovered the lights on at the end of the day. I was on a aire in a small Belgium village, fine I thought let the 3 leisure batteries trickle charge cab battery over night via battery master. No way! The voltage in cab battery had risen to 12v but it was not enough. Turn on ignition didn’t even get to crank position and all dash lights flash like a carnival! It is a Sprinter 616.

Had to run genny for short time then all was fine but embarrassing in the middle of the village.

Dick

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I used to have the same problem - leaving the headlights on - so when I had the annual service in January, I got the engineers to fit a warning buzzer that sounds if the lights are on but the ignition is switched off. Works a treat and cost me about £125 on the bill. (316 Sprinter 2003)

Regarding the Battery Master, it should not really be necessary since the Elektroblock charges both habitation and starter batteries. Could the fact that both battery sets are already wired into the EBL be defeating the Battery Master?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back